• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club Building Discussion Thread

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So I've been tinkering for quite a while now with clubs, shafts, grips. etc. I'm fairly adept at it now, by no means a pro, but having fun with it. One of my bug-bears is ferrules. Getting them off, putting them on has been painful. Until I had a brainwave, and the results are outstanding.

Up to now, I have been applying heat to melt the glue to remove shafts. The ferrule tends to disform, melt in the process and I end up having to replace them. Thsi can cost me $ and time ordering up new ones. And when I go to put them on, they rarely fit, so I have been sanding down the shaft, inside of the ferrule to enable it to fit. Sometimes the ferrules crack or split. It's been very time-consuming and frustrating.

I have now discovered a new trick, using boiling water. I simply put the club in the water, ensuring the club head and ferrule are covered. A few minutes later, I get a knife and jimmy the ferrule further up the shaft, away from the head. I can then torch the head from the shaft, scrap off any excess glue, etc and then just slide the ferrule off, fully intact.

Once I have prepped new shafts, I put the (recycled or new) ferrules in boiling water for a few minutes. The heat must cause them to become supple, I can then apply them onto the new shaft. I use the clubhead to gently tap them down onto the shaft, and once on I can jimmy them down the shaft, with the blunt end of a knife (carefully). Once I dry off, I can then glue the head to the shaft and then push the ferrule back down to meet the join.

I did a full set of irons in no time at all, replaced shafts and ferrules. 100% success.

You're welcome!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I bought a ferrule installation tool a decade or so ago. Simple to use. Gets the ferrule started relatively easily. Use the club head to finish the job for depth. They make fancier ones now with depth gauges, but all I needed was help in getting the process started and the basic tool gets the job done and relatively quickly.

🔥 Latest posts