• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club-building + MacGuyver = FTW

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
A chum and I were doing a shaft swap; a VS Proto out of a Wishon 3W head and into a Nickent 4DX 3W head. Upon removing the shaft that was in the 4DX head initially, I noticed a very irritating rattle. I inspected the club further and found that the hosel was open right into the head, so I started shaking the clubhead attempting to either remove the rattling object, or let it catch itself in the glue that was presumably in the head.

45 minutes later...

Despite my marathon-strength-forearms, I could not shake out the problem. It was either too big to come out, or just fussy enough to where it WOULDN'T come out. And we didn't have any of that mouse glue to put in there to catch it.

Idea 1:

I bent a zip-tie in half, stuck it down into the head, shook it, and pulled the zip tie out. The plan here was to "catch" the thing in the bent zip-tie and forcibly remove it. No luck.

Idea 2:

Fill the head with water and flush out the obstruction. This was clearly stupid, so I didn't bother with this one. Water doesn't shrink things.

Idea 3: Get some epoxy down into the head for lack of mousey glue... but how?

A trip to the bathroom led to this epiphany...

Four straws were gathered, and epoxy was mixed. I sucked 3/4 of the straw full of epoxy, inserted it into the clubhead, and carefully expelled some into the head. Shook the obstruction in the direction of the new epoxy, and... voila!

Now someone tell me how horrible a mistake I've made x_x. It's currently curing, shaft and all, pretty as can be.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I had the same issue as you did, and was able to introduce the epoxy inside the head and stick the "movable part" to a side. It was working perfectly until I hit the Driver the second time and the "movable part" came back to its roots (being movable again :().

I decided to change my driver after that hehehehehehe

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I had the same issue as you did, and was able to introduce the epoxy inside the head and stick the "movable part" to a side. It was working perfectly until I hit the Driver the second time and the "movable part" came back to its roots (being movable again :().

I decided to change my driver after that hehehehehehe

That. Lolz. After a few hits you'll have a much larger chunk of epoxy rattling around in the head. Or maybe it'll stick - you'll know soon enough.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
United States United States
Should've just heated up the sole and there is usually hotmelt or rat gluish stuff in there already and it would've caught it without adding anything, but you done good.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Should've just heated up the sole and there is usually hotmelt or rat gluish stuff in there already and it would've caught it without adding anything, but you done good.

Bingo!

Just heat the bottom of the head for 3 or 4 minutes with a heat gun, then flip it over and hit it against something softish to get the piece that is rattling into the glue that is already in there. Then let it cool.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
So this would work with any club???

I have my TM Burner which I accidently knocked the shaft plug into the head when I was drilling out the old shaft.

I heat the bottom of the head for 3 to 4 minutes, hopefully knock the shaft plug into some old epoxy or rat glue, and it should hold?

Sounds crazy!!

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada

its far funnier his way though

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You don't have rats in Canada, only mice?

Would you like us to send you some? Rats, that is. We have several hundred residing in the DC area that need new homes.

I have never seen a rat in Canada. I saw loads in Barbados tho.

We have lots in Parliment as well.

R35

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
So this would work with any club???

I have my TM Burner which I accidently knocked the shaft plug into the head when I was drilling out the old shaft.

I heat the bottom of the head for 3 to 4 minutes, hopefully knock the shaft plug into some old epoxy or rat glue, and it should hold?

Sounds crazy!!

Should work, yes. Go for it!

🔥 Latest posts