• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club-building - Technical help required.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I'm trying to put new shafts into old heads. My 4 iron and 6 iron are done and are perfect, the shafts go in about 1 and 1/4". The rest come up about 1/4" short of going fully in. On closer examination, the remaining heads all have some (rock) hardened glue wedged into the bottom of the hosel, which I have tried to pick out. I'm looking for suggestions. So far I am considering:
  • Nail polish remover (acetone) poured down the hosel to soak in overnight, with tape over the hosel to prevent evaporation.
  • A wire brush drill bit (on order) and just blast it out.
  • Blow torch to melt the stuff and then picking it out with a screwdriver.
  • Just glue them in as they are without them being fully in.
Any thoughts or anyone else want to chip in with ideas? Thanks.
IG

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Ok so the plot thickens. The head on my 4 iron has a deeper hosel cavity than the others. I couldn’t figure it out until I looked at the tip of the original steel shaft. It had a steel or tungsten plug still embedded. I hit it with a torch and it came out, looks like a bullet. On closer examination of the other heads they still have this plug embedded at the bottom of the hosel. The wall of my old steel shafts are thin enough to accommodate this plug. But the graphite shaft walls are a lot thicker wall which doesn’t allow it to fit.
I guess I could ream these plugs out. But I think they are these for swing weight purposes? Or I could just glue the graphite shafts in on top of them. They won’t go as deep in, obviously.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 5A997622-B3BD-4E02-84F3-37EBEC99198A.jpeg
    5A997622-B3BD-4E02-84F3-37EBEC99198A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
  • 8B0380C3-A25C-449B-A988-D5CA05824121.jpeg
    8B0380C3-A25C-449B-A988-D5CA05824121.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
  • 93DCC59D-02D9-492A-8E3E-BB3BD712D1F2.jpeg
    93DCC59D-02D9-492A-8E3E-BB3BD712D1F2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 140
  • 0010E3CA-5F8C-4C63-83B7-4A0DA301617D.jpeg
    0010E3CA-5F8C-4C63-83B7-4A0DA301617D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 132

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Wire brush drill bit should work. I have a set of hosel reamers and drill bits that I have used as well. Regular drill bits will works, too, if you have the right sizes (do not recall off the top of my head what size bits, but you can test fit and find a bit that just fits inside the hosel).

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Ok so the plot thickens. The head on my 4 iron has a deeper hosel cavity than the others. I couldn’t figure it out until I looked at the tip of the original steel shaft. It had a steel or tungsten plug still embedded. I hit it with a torch and it came out, looks like a bullet. On closer examination of the other heads they still have this plug embedded at the bottom of the hosel. The wall of my old steel shafts are thin enough to accommodate this plug. But the graphite shaft walls are a lot thicker wall which doesn’t allow it to fit.
I guess I could ream these plugs out. But I think they are these for swing weight purposes? Or I could just glue the graphite shafts in on top of them. They won’t go as deep in, obviously.
Thoughts?
Look like hosel weights for swing weighting. Unless the clubs have a hosel port to accommodate them, they were probably inside the steel shafts. I would not reuse them, you have to find an alternative method of swingweighting the clubs.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Pretty sure a 3/8” drill bit will do the trick. No idea what that bullet looking thing is. First thought was too weight but odd shape. Could be old dried epoxy too I suppose. Whenever I do a reshaft I drill out the hosels real well, make sure I get all the old leftover junk out. Once you get the hosels cleaned out you should be good to go, I wouldn’t put the shafts onto it over those bullet things though, asking for trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If they're Mizuno irons, Mizuno uses weights in the shaft tip for swing weighting. Some other manufacturers may also. Some folks who reshaft will use lead powder down the shaft to get the same effect as the lead weights. Message PaPaD. His specialty is Pings and Ping doesn't use tip weights. Still, he may have had some experience with iron manufacturers that do.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
OK, so my progress to date on this "lock-down" project. I spoke with my new "best friend", a club-fitter with a ton of experience. He was great, very encouraging for me to "give it a go".

The slugs are indeed bullet-shaped 6g weights. He suggested drilling them out with an 8.5mm drill bit, which I have done. The walls of the graphite shafts are so thick, there is no way to compensate for the loss of weight with other weights, so now the swing weight will be altered. According to TM the original swing weight is D2.

Two things to address this. The graphite shaft has been cut 3/4 to 1" longer (so heavier) and I also am planning to put on lightweight grips. Hopefully, this will be enough to compensate. I'm not at elite/pro level that I imagine it will make a massive difference to me. I have already made up the 6 iron and it doesn't feel light hitting it into a net, so I think I am just going to go ahead and make them all up sans any additional weights. I'm looking forward to getting them all made up, confident that the heads won't fly off!!

Pictures to follow!

🔥 Latest posts