• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club Building Tools

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I am going to be building at the very least two sets of irons, and possibly more than that.

I enjoy building clubs and my friends like the idea that they can get a nice set of irons for way less than the OEM stuff.

I don't have any way of putting pressure on the shaft of that many clubs at once while letting them cure. Anyone got any suggestions of something cheap that i could build to hold an entire set of irons while they cure?

I don't have any software to draw nice pictures but here is what i was thinking, tell me if this would work.

Take a 2x4 route out 8 channels 1" wide x 1" deep on the long side of the board leaving .5" of material at the end to hold the toe of the club. I can place that on the floor to hold the club heads. Now the part that is eluding me is how to be able to put pressure on the shafts, i know it doesn't need much.

I was thinking some kind of angled piece that angles away from the wall so that i can kind of wedge them between that angled piece and the bottom holder.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. However, this needs to be a CHEAP solution...i already have pretty much any tool to do anything to wood we would need to do so i need to keep this to 2x4's and other cheap materials. <$20 costs.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I have a pretty complex club curing station. Here is an example image.

water%20in%20wall.jpg

Hasn't failed me yet.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I have a pretty complex club curing station. Here is an example image.

water%20in%20wall.jpg

Hasn't failed me yet.

Wow, I have the same exact one that I use. :laugh:

Ok, not the exact same one, but I have one just like it in my house.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Alright smartasses...lol

I'm in my basement...no option for carpet...clubs slide on cement...

So i take it you guys don't put pressure on the shaft while its curing? I guess i was never told i had to, but figured it was a good practice to make sure nothing got pushed around while its setting up.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Alright smartasses...lol

I'm in my basement...no option for carpet...clubs slide on cement...

So i take it you guys don't put pressure on the shaft while its curing? I guess i was never told i had to, but figured it was a good practice to make sure nothing got pushed around while its setting up.

I've never applied pressure, and only had one head fly off.

Find a old safety mat somewhere, or carpet samples to keep them from sliding.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
mine isn't even that fancy....I have a piece of cardboard on the floor in the basement that the head sits on while the shaft leans against the wall

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Alright, that solves that then...

I have a scrap 2x4...i will use my router for once and make that piece anyway....

Sweet, saves me money.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
The only time I have used pressure to hold a head on while the epoxy was curing was when I had an iron head come loose, and I didn't want to remove the grip.

So I used a 6 foot long clamp I use for woodworking. Had to duct tape the head and shaft onto the clamp to keep them from slipping, but it worked fine.

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
I have had a head creap off while curing before but that was because of the grip tape on a reshaft. There was no where for the air to escape. I just poked a hole in the tape through the grip and used the same tool as everyone else, a floor.

🔥 Latest posts