• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club Championships win!!!

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Its official!
Took out the Port Fairy Club Championships last sunday. Shot rounds of 77, 82, 74 and 80 for 313 total and a 2 shot win. I'm the first to admit that these aren't the greatest scores in the world but it's our winter over here and all 4 rounds were played in 2 - 4 club winds and a little rain here or there thrown in for good measure. Typical links golf really.

So with the 77 in the first round I held a 1 shot lead, then was tied for the lead after the 82 and the 74. Ironically last year I was tied for the lead and shot lower on sunday but lost by a shot, so it really was a strange day.

I bogeyed 3 out of the first 4 holes and it looked like it was going to be a blowout as I slipped 2 shots back. But I strung together 5 straight pars to shoot 39 for the front and was tied for the lead after the other guy doubled the short par 3 eighth.

Pars on 10 and 11 still kept me tied and on 12 (510 yard par 5) I knocked it on in two while the other guy lost a ball in the marrum grass, taking a 7. Pars on the next two holes to his bogies gave me a 5 shot lead at 2 over for the round, with 4 holes to play. Then I had a brain fart. The 15th is a 210 yard par 3 with a 'valley of sin' on the right. I hit it in there every time without fail, and today was no different. Got it out to about 12 feet but rushed the putt 5 foot past and lipped out coming back. Lead cut back to 3 with 3. 16 is a 370 yard par 4 dogleg left with OB right and trouble on the corner. I'd been playing beautiful baby draws all day and for some reason I decided to aim down the right and fade it back to the centre. Hit the same baby draw as all day to put a ball out of bounds. Bogey second ball to make 7 and lead cut back to 1 after his 5.

17 is a straight 390 yard par 4 with OB right and not much trouble left unless you go long left. Hit a decent ball down the centre and wedged on to about 35 feet. Hit the putt 4 foot past and again lipped out coming back. All square after his par and pretty mad at this stage.

18 is a 530 yard par 5 with pines down the right at driver length and tea-tree and fairway bunkers on the left. My opponent hit a weak ball down the right and we heard it clip the pines. I smacked my driver just right of centre and about 280 long, then my opponent hit a provisional just to be on the safe side, down the centre. Well we walked around under those pines for the full 5 minutes and found 3 balls on the ground and even 2 stuck in them, but none of them my opponents. Lost ball, presumably stuck in the trees. Sad thing to happen to the poor guy.

From there he hit his provisional ball down the centre. I laid up with 3 iron to about 40 yards short. He wedged on to about 15 feet and I chipped up to about 8 feet. He holed his putt for a 6, just keeping a little pressure on. I was basically only trying to lag my putt to the hole but it actually fell in for a birdie and the win.

Redemption for last years loss!
Quite a few drinks had to celebrate!
Here is the link for the local newspaper article written about it.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Well done - awesome play.

Now you just need to work on losing one of the "g"s in your surname and it's complete :prop:

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Sad thing to happen to the poor guy.

I bet it was like those adverts were your actually saying 'unlucky' to him but on the inside your shouting 'Get in there 5 mins are up'!

Well played pal!!! A 4 round Club Championship must be a tough event to win. Our's is 36 holes in a day and the Captains Final is 36 holes over a weekend top 100 qualify for the 1st round with the best 50 making the cut for Sunday, no 72 hole event at my club.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
good going, congratz! i'm sure there will be more drinks to come.

edit: i just checked out your golf course. very classic links course, love those.

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Well done - awesome play.

Now you just need to work on losing one of the "g"s in your surname and it's complete :prop:

My oldest brother is actually called Ben. Always got a laugh when he got called to / from the starters box. Most annoying thing is people think because of the extra 'g' our name is pronounced hog-(like a pig)-gan instead of the normal hogan.

I bet it was like those adverts were your actually saying 'unlucky' to him but on the inside your shouting 'Get in there 5 mins are up'!

Well played pal!!! A 4 round Club Championship must be a tough event to win. Our's is 36 holes in a day and the Captains Final is 36 holes over a weekend top 100 qualify for the 1st round with the best 50 making the cut for Sunday, no 72 hole event at my club.

A little like that yeah! :laugh:

It's not easy, we basically had about 40 guys in the 'A' grade, with realistically about 10-15 very capable of winning. The 74's in the third round sort of seperated us from the field.

My personal opinion is that the 72 is a bit harder to win (we played over three weekends) than a single 36 hole day. I've had a few wins in the 36 hole events at my previous clubs where I've played well but to hold it over 3 weeks is a completely different challenge. We certainly don't have the numbers competing that you do though!!!

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Great win! I need to get back to that level of play. Or, more accurately, attain that level of play!

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
good going, congratz! i'm sure there will be more drinks to come.

edit: i just checked out your golf course. very classic links course, love those.

Great course! Ranked about 84 in all of Australia, and an absolute steal at the princely membership sum of $190 per year for unlimited play! :beach3:
Luckiest golfer in the world for the privilege of playing there.

Great win! I need to get back to that level of play. Or, more accurately, attain that level of play!

Congrats Lefty, good show old chap !

(always wanted to say that)

Thanks guys!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
That's awesome man, congrats. I'd love to be able to play in competitions like that. Have to start looking into it seriously.

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
That's awesome man, congrats. I'd love to be able to play in competitions like that. Have to start looking into it seriously.

Have noticed that quite a few of you guys in the US don't have champs like we do in Aus. Its a shame because they really are a lot of fun and make you focus on your game.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Have noticed that quite a few of you guys in the US don't have champs like we do in Aus. Its a shame because they really are a lot of fun and make you focus on your game.

The only reason I'm a member at a Club is to play in the Comps every Wednesday and Sayurday. I'm actually joining a different club, interviews this Wednesday, as they play in a District League which is club against club, one match every week through out Spring/Summer Ryder Cup Singles style. The course isn't quite as good as where I'm at at the moment it's Shorter and eaiser but my current home course has a lot of vandalism done on the course from Kids sneaking on. The new Track is like an inland Links, plenty of Pot Hole bunkers and BIG fairway bunkers, very open so on Windy days will be a very tough test.

OP
LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
The only reason I'm a member at a Club is to play in the Comps every Wednesday and Sayurday. I'm actually joining a different club, interviews this Wednesday, as they play in a District League which is club against club, one match every week through out Spring/Summer Ryder Cup Singles style. The course isn't quite as good as where I'm at at the moment it's Shorter and eaiser but my current home course has a lot of vandalism done on the course from Kids sneaking on. The new Track is like an inland Links, plenty of Pot Hole bunkers and BIG fairway bunkers, very open so on Windy days will be a very tough test.

Sounds exactly like a thing we have which we call pennant. In ours we have the six strongest clubs in our district playing in division one, seven a side, which my club was part of. We finished a respectable 3rd, but missed the final by a full game. Ryder cup style aswell. Wish you all the best with the new club, was reading about your quandary in your other thread. Hope you enjoy it, and the constant match play will help your game too.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
MONGO IMPRESSED!! Very good scores in those conditions. Remind me never to play you for money, even with my handicap... :D

🔥 Latest posts