• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club Cleaning.

Would you pay to have your set of clubs cleaned?

• Yes, £1 - £2 per set

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £3 - £4 per set

• £5 - £6 per set

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • £7 +

• No, I clean them myself

Votes: 27 96.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

[email protected]

Jan 17, 2008
Hello,
I am Otis Brown, and I have just registered on this website.
I am looking into the possibility of starting up a Golf Club cleaning service at a few golf clubs up and down the country. I am just trying to gather peoples opinions and gathered that this is the best place to come and get some honest opinions.
How do keen golfers currently clean their clubs, would you pay to have them cleaned? and if so, how much would you expect to pay?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Otis Brown.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I clean them myself and most places that are higher cost courses usually have somebody who will clean them there. I'm not really crazy about having the guy wipe down my clubs and put the covers back on at some of more expensive courses I play. I obviously tip the guy but he's probably making more $$ than I do for something completely unnecessary. I wish you luck but it's going to be a tough one as places with members who would be willing to utilize the service have had the service available since day 1 anyway and some kid is making around minimum wage plus a few bucks in tips per set to do it already. Basically I think your target market is already accommadated in 99% of cases but I could be wrong.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
When the service is offered at courses I play, I always turn it down. I clean them myself and plan to keep it that way. I think it'll be a tough business to make any money at.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I use a little dishsoap and warm water. Submerge the heads for a couple minutes then take them out one at a time, rub with nail-brush under running water, and dry thoroughly. My clubs look brand new every round.

I would not pay for this service.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I very rarely clean my clubs...sometimes when I'm sitting around the house I might pull them out of the bag and clean them...but it doesnt happen very often.

Jun 24, 2006
I'm the odd man out in the vote.

I would pay someone $5 to clean my clubs if i didn't want to do it myself.

However, I don't do it. I clean my clubs myself after every round.

I'm also the guy that ends up cleaning your clubs if you pay us for storage and cleaning. I don't see any of that money though, it's just anoter service we offer..for a yearly fee. I hate Trnys when I have to clean like..40 sets on top of everything else I have to do in the shop.:( It's not hard work, just a pain in the arse.

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Maybe I'm just cheap...

I clean my clubs after every round and/or range session.
I actually enjoy it!:laugh:

Planet_Boom

Nov 14, 2007
It is a catch 22 situation if you ask me.

The people that would want thier clubs cleaned are those that take pride in thier clubs and would not let any one else clean them for them. Most people like this enjoy cleaning thier clubs. Kind of theoroputic (sp?). So these people wont pay for that service.

On the other hand you have those people who dont bother cleaning their clubs and dont care how much mud they gather during the round. They again wont pay for that service.

The only possible niche market that would possibly pay for the service are the most elite golf clubs. However, as mentioned above some already provide a cleaning service, which may be included in the subs.

You may want to look into providing it as a service for the big businesses who provide corporate golfing days for thier employees.

I think as an independent company trying to offer this service to golf clubs would be very difficult.

OP
O

[email protected]

Jan 17, 2008
Firstly guys, thank you so much for your honest opinions.

Im glad to be getting honest feedback and am very please with the amount of replies i have received.

What i intend to offer is not simply a "wipe down service" that people can do themselves. Im planning on using Ultrasonic cleaning machines (as i think someone mentioned earlier) to clean the clubs.

I am in no way linked to SonicGolf.co.uk, but there is clip on their site showing the Ultrasonic cleaning in action (only 20 secs long)

ww.sonicgolf.co.uk

Would be interested to know if this alters anyones opinion.

Speak soon
Otis

jjgolfpro

Dec 6, 2007
I know nothing about the process (other than what I saw in that video), but here are a couple of points of interest.

First, I would want to know what is going on in that machine if my clubs were going into it. I am skeptical of putting the grip side of my club into something that is strong enough to get dirt and corrosion off the face without the use of a brush. Just getting the butt end of the grip wet will cause your shafts to rust on the inside if there is not enough tape tied over at the end of the grip. What would be the advantage to using this over the regular club brush method?

On the plus side, the advantage you would have in selling your service would be to tell customers that not using a brush will keep the grooves from getting worn down, while still keeping your clubs clean. For example, I like using wedges with a vintage finish because I don't care for the appearance of chrome. However, I don't like the way the heads look when they rust. So I have to clean them with wire brush when they get rusty. My irons usually get cleaned with a soft brush because they don't need to be clean as rigorously. I have noticed a significant reduction in backspin in my X-Tour wedges since I got them in 2006. This cleaning method would give me the appearance I want without the increased reduction in spin.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The machines simply use utrasonic waves to remove dirt and grime from the surface...

Jewlers have been using this technology for years to clean delicate jewlery.

I also reload rifle cartridges and use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean teh casings before reloading, works quite well...i never thought about using it for my clubs though...sounds like a good idea

Members online

No members online now.