• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club Fittings Question

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Good afternoon all,

I have come to the experts, I feel, with some questions regarding club fittings. In general as well as some more in depth stuff, I hope.

Ok so here we go, between my brother-in-law and myself, we have reached an agreement that his father is maybe in need of some new clubs. Well No, he is really in need of some new ones!! And this is where the questions start. We have agreed to send him for a fitting as a gift and then work on the clubs. So where do we send him? Here in Ontario Golf Town immediately comes to mind, or a local golf club?? When he gets to the fitting how many clubs, different manufacturers, shafts etc. Can he try? How long or short is the entire process?

I’m sure I had more questions originally, but at least I got the ball rolling... I will add to the questions as I remember them!

Thanks everyone!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Well... let me be the blasphemous one to kick it off. I am not a huge fan of club fitting. Typical is to head to your local big box golf store. They will have some young dude... or an old retired dude... who is making minimum wage. The "teacher" probably likes to play golf and thinks of himself as an authority on the game. He will put some impact tape on a clubface and have the person being fitted hit a couple balls. He will use a simulator to see which shaft you hit the ball the farthest with. Make some announcement and you take it as gospel.

Karsten sold thousands of sets of Ping irons using the color dot system. You would be "fitted" for a specific lie angle. 99% of those being fitted within one degree of lie could not repeat a swing from one weekend to the next. Actually, they would have difficulty repeating from one swing to the next.

A few years ago, Golf Digest sent some players of various skill levels to a number of different fitters. The fitters ran from local muni pros to fittings at OEM's. It was amazing how lied angles and shaft flex recommendations differed from fitter to fitter.

What's his age and skill level? If he is over 60... and in some cases over 50... he needs graphite shafted irons. Us old gents joints get worn and graphite shafted irons could make striking the ball more "comfortable". Shaft flex? Probably talking regular flex or senior flex depending on swing speed. 95% of golfers will get along fine with standard lie angles and club length.

Find a golf shop with a driving range. Tell them you will buy the buckets of balls if they will let you demo a number of different clubs. Some will feel good to him. Some will look good to him. The game is 90% mental and the other 20% is all in your head. If he hits some good shots with one club and that club instills confidence he will play well with it. If someone sticks a club in his hand that he things is ugly... too small... too large... feels too harsh... ball goes nowhere... etc.... he will never play it well.

Woops! Another one of my long posts. Sorry!!! Everything I have said above is opposite of what I play. My irons are stiff steel shafts. All my sets of Ping irons have the same color code. But... I am a club "geek". 99.9% aren't. One of the geezers in our group picked up a Cobra driver for $5 at a garage sale. Thought it looked good. He hits that driver better than anything I've seen him hit in the 20 years we have played together. Looks good. Instills confidence for him. Another player in our group lost his 6-iron. He tried a number of 6-irons of differing manufactures that had been in our lost and found. Nothing "looked" the same as his set and none worked. I got on the 'net and found a used 6-iron to match his set. Ordered it. Handed it to him and told him I was tired of his whining. His game is back on because he has confidence through the set. There I go again. I'm done!!!!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Well... let me be the blasphemous one to kick it off. I am not a huge fan of club fitting. Typical is to head to your local big box golf store. They will have some young dude... or an old retired dude... who is making minimum wage. The "teacher" probably likes to play golf and thinks of himself as an authority on the game. He will put some impact tape on a clubface and have the person being fitted hit a couple balls. He will use a simulator to see which shaft you hit the ball the farthest with. Make some announcement and you take it as gospel.

Karsten sold thousands of sets of Ping irons using the color dot system. You would be "fitted" for a specific lie angle. 99% of those being fitted within one degree of lie could not repeat a swing from one weekend to the next. Actually, they would have difficulty repeating from one swing to the next.

A few years ago, Golf Digest sent some players of various skill levels to a number of different fitters. The fitters ran from local muni pros to fittings at OEM's. It was amazing how lied angles and shaft flex recommendations differed from fitter to fitter.

What's his age and skill level? If he is over 60... and in some cases over 50... he needs graphite shafted irons. Us old gents joints get worn and graphite shafted irons could make striking the ball more "comfortable". Shaft flex? Probably talking regular flex or senior flex depending on swing speed. 95% of golfers will get along fine with standard lie angles and club length.

Find a golf shop with a driving range. Tell them you will buy the buckets of balls if they will let you demo a number of different clubs. Some will feel good to him. Some will look good to him. The game is 90% mental and the other 20% is all in your head. If he hits some good shots with one club and that club instills confidence he will play well with it. If someone sticks a club in his hand that he things is ugly... too small... too large... feels too harsh... ball goes nowhere... etc.... he will never play it well.

Woops! Another one of my long posts. Sorry!!! Everything I have said above is opposite of what I play. My irons are stiff steel shafts. All my sets of Ping irons have the same color code. But... I am a club "geek". 99.9% aren't. One of the geezers in our group picked up a Cobra driver for $5 at a garage sale. Thought it looked good. He hits that driver better than anything I've seen him hit in the 20 years we have played together. Looks good. Instills confidence for him. Another player in our group lost his 6-iron. He tried a number of 6-irons of differing manufactures that had been in our lost and found. Nothing "looked" the same as his set and none worked. I got on the 'net and found a used 6-iron to match his set. Ordered it. Handed it to him and told him I was tired of his whining. His game is back on because he has confidence through the set. There I go again. I'm done!!!!

TLDR

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Depends on how much you want to spend. I’ve heard club Champion does a pretty in depth fitting and has a ton of head/shaft combos for irons and woods. You can buy just a fitting or you can do the full soup to nuts fitting with a club purchase. I’ve also heard they are expensive.

Box stores give you boxed service.

You could also hit up some courses that are having demo days.

Sorry if Limp said all this, too many words in his post, LMAO

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
This is all fantastic. Any and all input is great at this point. Even if it does take me a little longer to read the post! [emoji6] Limp is the man! And I value his input greatly. There’s a bit of an age difference between us, but I could see us hanging out for sure!

As for the father-in-law, he’s 63, plays a little more now than he did years past. I probably have a little to do with that, his son too. I’m intrigued I guess by the fitting process because I really don’t know what he needs. He’s getting older but he’s a big, strong man. I was hoping a fitting would be an experience for him and I’d learn what he needs. I do think graphite irons would help him a lot. A new driver to help him off the tee would be a start too!

Jun 24, 2006
Good afternoon all,

I have come to the experts, I feel, with some questions regarding club fittings. In general as well as some more in depth stuff, I hope.

Ok so here we go, between my brother-in-law and myself, we have reached an agreement that his father is maybe in need of some new clubs. Well No, he is really in need of some new ones!! And this is where the questions start. We have agreed to send him for a fitting as a gift and then work on the clubs. So where do we send him? Here in Ontario Golf Town immediately comes to mind, or a local golf club?? When he gets to the fitting how many clubs, different manufacturers, shafts etc. Can he try? How long or short is the entire process?

I’m sure I had more questions originally, but at least I got the ball rolling... I will add to the questions as I remember them!

Thanks everyone!
I was going to say Golf Tec, but it looks like the only Canadian location is Ottawa.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I was going to say Golf Tec, but it looks like the only Canadian location is Ottawa.

I like their commercials, but unfortunately I do believe you are right, Ottawa. I’ve had a few more conversations with the bro-in-law and after some comments on here. I’m confident this could be something we accomplish ourselves. Maybe over a little time. I do like Limp’s idea going and just having him try clubs. All kinds; different makes, shafts etc. Being stubborn as all get out, selling him on regular shafts will be tough. But if he starts seeing results...

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I tend to agree with limpalong. For me demoing is a better way to buy clubs. A lot of the preowned sites have "try before you buy" and most clubs have demo sets. Also, most OEMs also have online fittings that will give you a great starting point. If he likes his current set sticking with the same brand but a newer model may be the way to go.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I like their commercials, but unfortunately I do believe you are right, Ottawa. I’ve had a few more conversations with the bro-in-law and after some comments on here. I’m confident this could be something we accomplish ourselves. Maybe over a little time. I do like Limp’s idea going and just having him try clubs. All kinds; different makes, shafts etc. Being stubborn as all get out, selling him on regular shafts will be tough. But if he starts seeing results...
The Project X and the UST Recoil shafts don't say "R" or "S". They have numbers (i.e. Project X's 5.5, 6.0, etc.) If you could do some "scouting" before taking him to try some and put regular frequency shafts in his hands that he doesn't know what they are 'regular', he might try and like. Also, there can be a significant difference between one manufacturer's regular shafts and another manufacturer's.
We had 142 players in the tourney at our course this past weekend. The guy who won Friday night's horserace and took second in the tournament's championship flight just turned 60. Hits the ball a mile. Went to regular flex shafts in Mizuno irons last year.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
The Project X and the UST Recoil shafts don't say "R" or "S". They have numbers (i.e. Project X's 5.5, 6.0, etc.) If you could do some "scouting" before taking him to try some and put regular frequency shafts in his hands that he doesn't know what they are 'regular', he might try and like. Also, there can be a significant difference between one manufacturer's regular shafts and another manufacturer's.
We had 142 players in the tourney at our course this past weekend. The guy who won Friday night's horserace and took second in the tournament's championship flight just turned 60. Hits the ball a mile. Went to regular flex shafts in Mizuno irons last year.

I’m honestly hoping to do just this Limp. Have a little research and prep done before hand, and then see what happens. I’m hoping for a little confusion in mass?!? If we are trying out drivers and he has six or more to look at and swing, he might not even check the shafts. Same with any clubs really. The first trip will likely just be a learning experience for myself more than anything

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I thought I’d write a little update for you all. This journey of fitting and outfitting my father-in-law with new clubs is obviously going to be a long one, but it’s all good. I have them time, Thankfully!!

In a nutshell the man is stubborn as hell! Hahaha Very stuck in his ways and sometimes almost like talking to a cinderblock wall. Love the man, but god damn!! LOL I will get the elephant out of the room right now, the Covid19 pandemic has changed the world. Walking into stores with rules and such in place are needed now. His complaining and ignoring the rules kinda got on my nerves just a little. It also made the process of trying clubs troublesome because of his impatience. We got through it tho, probably cutting our first visit a little short.

I saw a clear improvement with a graphite shafted iron, but he insisted on still needing steel... and he’s strong enough for stiff shafts still, he thinks... also learned he is just in love with Scotty Cameron putters. Long road ahead gents...

Last edited:

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I can imagine getting fitted during the pandemic is difficult. Especially when the subject, your father-in-law, isn't fully cooperating with the process. Hang in there because my guess is once you get him into the right equipment, he will be pleased with the results.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I have yet to go into a golf store (Dick's, etc) and find anyone CLOSE to knowing ANYTHING about golf clubs. I swear they have "switches" to play with on their launch monitors so the big dollar clubs show miraculous results versus the lower priced competition.

There used to be a driving range when I lived in Racine that sold only Pings. The teaching pro (top pro in the county) would fit you. That's the kind of place you look for.

But no snot nosed 19 year old can compare. Nor can some old retired guy who never played golf in his life.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I can imagine getting fitted during the pandemic is difficult. Especially when the subject, your father-in-law, isn't fully cooperating with the process. Hang in there because my guess is once you get him into the right equipment, he will be pleased with the results.

The unfortunate thing is; I really think, HE thinks, he is being cooperative and is fully committed to the process. If today is any indication however, thats not the case at all. He’s definitely game to go and screw around with clubs and whack some balls around. But thats not really getting us anywhere... To add to my comment earlier about club shopping during this pandemic. My father-in-law wanted to go to Golf Town after we tried our hidden gem store. My experience at GT was worse than the little hole in the wall store. And with him... oh boy! Hahaha

And to be fair WBL, this is very much a backyard fitting, where I’m the one doing my father-in-law’s club fitting. It’s really just an attempt by myself to get him trying something other than his 25 year old stiff shafts...

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
WBL is right. I've been playing for 55 years and while I'm nowhere near the player I was fifteen years ago I know a lot about the game. I'll bet you do as well. Every time I go to a golf store it seems I know more about equipment than the person who is trying to help me. I once went to a certified fitter and he was pretty good, but they are few and far between. If at all possible you might try getting some demos you think are appropriate and having your father-in-law play a few rounds. I've always had trouble making my normal golf swing indoors. I guess that's why I don't "get fitted" when I buy clubs. If I see something I'd like to try I find a demo or borrow the club (or clubs) from a friend.

🔥 Latest posts