• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club Fittings Question

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
130!!! He text me this afternoon, went out with the next door neighbour, played the course he grew up on and my FIL shot 130... Ugh!! I’m almost at a loss for words here, not even sure what to say?!?!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
130!!! He text me this afternoon, went out with the next door neighbour, played the course he grew up on and my FIL shot 130... Ugh!! I’m almost at a loss for words here, not even sure what to say?!?!
Can't you interest him in checkers... or shuffleboard.... or pickle ball? Anything but golf!!!!:D If he's taking mulligans, etc. the 130 may have been closer to 150. I simply cannot fathom playing a round with someone taking that many strokes. But... I guess if you divide the green fees by 130, his cost per shot was pretty low....

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Can't you interest him in checkers... or shuffleboard.... or pickle ball? Anything but golf!!!!:D If he's taking mulligans, etc. the 130 may have been closer to 150. I simply cannot fathom playing a round with someone taking that many strokes. But... I guess if you divide the green fees by 130, his cost per shot was pretty low....

I cannot attest to what happened today, not even really sure I want to know... I received a text message around 1 saying, “you know how a bad round has to be seen through until the end? Well kicking and screaming I did. For a 130. Was really hoping to better my 60 on the front.” It took me a good 45 minutes before I could respond...

We played last weekend and he shot 105. I would say that’s a little more typical his score. But even I question it’s validity at times.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I cannot attest to what happened today, not even really sure I want to know... I received a text message around 1 saying, “you know how a bad round has to be seen through until the end? Well kicking and screaming I did. For a 130. Was really hoping to better my 60 on the front.” It took me a good 45 minutes before I could respond...

We played last weekend and he shot 105. I would say that’s a little more typical his score. But even I question it’s validity at times.

So I’ve had a few days to cool down and digest this horrific round from my FIL. Now I’m left wondering, what do I do now??

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I did ask him if knitting was an option!?
He's still trying to play clubs that don't come anywhere close to fitting his swing/capabilities. And, the ego thing has him determined not to club up. If you can't change his attitude... you may just have to suffer with him.
Tour Edge makes sets where the irons are all similar to hybrids. They also make offset drivers to assist in correcting someone's bad slice. Prices fairly, the TE clubs carry a lifetime warranty. If you could ever talk him into a complete set with regular flex graphite shafts, I think he would thank you after one or two rounds.
As far as coming up short on everything... he needs to play with a group of geezers! One of our guys hits a 7 iron from 100 yards. Another will use his 5-wood if over 100 yards. And... they both will score in the mid to upper 80's due to their short games. I'm getting to where 150 yards is a stretch from my 5-iron. As age takes its toll, the distance just seems to go away. Suck up the ego and play what you can score with!!! But... a young flat belly may have trouble convincing an old geezer...'cause y'all youngun's jest need to respect your elders and not question what we do!!!! :>)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
So I’ve had a few days to cool down and digest this horrific round from my FIL. Now I’m left wondering, what do I do now??
Why do you have to do anything? Is he asking you to help? If he's not, and is ok with continuing to play in the low 100's, let him be. All meant nicely, btw...I can see where that could be read otherwise.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Why do you have to do anything? Is he asking you to help? If he's not, and is ok with continuing to play in the low 100's, let him be. All meant nicely, btw...I can see where that could be read otherwise.

Any and all advice is helpful at this point, so its appreciated however its meant! I’m asked constantly for help, advice, “what do you think about this or that.” I honestly feel that his daughter and I getting together reignited his love or interest in the game that had kinda faded away before his retirement. But I think much of it is the fact the stubborn old geezer has a real hard time listening to this young flat belly. Even if its only for his own benefit.

He's still trying to play clubs that don't come anywhere close to fitting his swing/capabilities. And, the ego thing has him determined not to club up. If you can't change his attitude... you may just have to suffer with him.
Tour Edge makes sets where the irons are all similar to hybrids. They also make offset drivers to assist in correcting someone's bad slice. Prices fairly, the TE clubs carry a lifetime warranty. If you could ever talk him into a complete set with regular flex graphite shafts, I think he would thank you after one or two rounds.
As far as coming up short on everything... he needs to play with a group of geezers! One of our guys hits a 7 iron from 100 yards. Another will use his 5-wood if over 100 yards. And... they both will score in the mid to upper 80's due to their short games. I'm getting to where 150 yards is a stretch from my 5-iron. As age takes its toll, the distance just seems to go away. Suck up the ego and play what you can score with!!! But... a young flat belly may have trouble convincing an old geezer...'cause y'all youngun's jest need to respect your elders and not question what we do!!!! :>)

This experiment is by no means over, I’m not giving up that easily. My FIL is stubborn AF, but he has proven to listen from time to time. It just takes him a little while, almost a year before he listened about a putter... so there’s hope and lucky for him, I’ve got all kinds of time. But he has been put on notice, when my son starts beating him, he’s on his own. So he better hurry up and listen!!

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
The "club up" part is so important! My ego cost me for far too long.

At the beginning of the summer, I decided to play by "how far will I most likely hit this?" instead of "how far do I think I should be able to hit this?". Been quietly logging my rounds in my phone's golfing/yardage/score app. Monday afternoon after logging my round, I happened to look at the handicap it has me at now. It's down to like a 9.4.

I genuinely consider that one decision about club selection to be the biggest factor in currently having the lowest handicap in my life.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
The "club up" part is so important! My ego cost me for far too long.

At the beginning of the summer, I decided to play by "how far will I most likely hit this?" instead of "how far do I think I should be able to hit this?". Been quietly logging my rounds in my phone's golfing/yardage/score app. Monday afternoon after logging my round, I happened to look at the handicap it has me at now. It's down to like a 9.4.

I genuinely consider that one decision about club selection to be the biggest factor in currently having the lowest handicap in my life.

First, bdcrowe congrats on the decreasing handicap. Sticking to a game plan takes a lot of hard work and commitment. But seeing the results at the end make it all worth while!

Ego issues are my main problems in this whole process with my FIL. He is very much a “I should hit this club this far” kind of player. Very seldom does it ever work for him though. He loves to say, “what use to be just isn’t there anymore” to which I always reply, who cares what use to be, its now!! I try and tell him hit YOUR club, play YOUR shot. Who cares what I’m doing. But he does, way too much!

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
First, bdcrowe congrats on the decreasing handicap. Sticking to a game plan takes a lot of hard work and commitment. But seeing the results at the end make it all worth while!

Ego issues are my main problems in this whole process with my FIL. He is very much a “I should hit this club this far” kind of player. Very seldom does it ever work for him though. He loves to say, “what use to be just isn’t there anymore” to which I always reply, who cares what use to be, its now!! I try and tell him hit YOUR club, play YOUR shot. Who cares what I’m doing. But he does, way too much!
What distance DOES he usually hit, say, a 7 iron?

Take him out on a golf hole one day when the course isn't busy and there aren't people behind you. Drop 10 balls in the fairway at the distance that he thinks he SHOULD hit his 7 iron, and let him him those 10 shots short of the green. Then move him up to the distance he actually hits his 7 iron and let him hit 10 shots. What % were on the green or around the green as opposed to his first ego spot?

Talk the %s.

Then talk to him at the ego level. Does it make sense to brag that he SHOULD be able to hit the ball farther than he does? Or does it make more sense to drop his average score 10 shots almost immediately?

(PS: It may make even more of an impact to do this on a hole with junk/water in front of the green.)

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
What distance DOES he usually hit, say, a 7 iron?

Take him out on a golf hole one day when the course isn't busy and there aren't people behind you. Drop 10 balls in the fairway at the distance that he thinks he SHOULD hit his 7 iron, and let him him those 10 shots short of the green. Then move him up to the distance he actually hits his 7 iron and let him hit 10 shots. What % were on the green or around the green as opposed to his first ego spot?

Talk the %s.

Then talk to him at the ego level. Does it make sense to brag that he SHOULD be able to hit the ball farther than he does? Or does it make more sense to drop his average score 10 shots almost immediately?

(PS: It may make even more of an impact to do this on a hole with junk/water in front of the green.)

If I had to guess, with an actually well struck ball using a 7i, 140-150yds maybe. To be honest even I’m not sure!! But this is a fantastic idea and serves the purpose of proving a point to him as well... He went out with his neighbor again and figures he’s lost 10-15 yards in the last 15 years. I’m not sure where this conclusion comes from but I’m trying to work with him... I guess the math sorta works?? 1yd/year?!?!

He also mentioned an “uncontrollable slice” with his driver, making things very difficult for his second shot. He is really liking the new putter though, hitting putts on line appears to be a plus, no shit Sherlock! Haha

Last edited:

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
If I had to guess, with an actually well struck ball using a 7i, 140-150yds maybe. To be honest even I’m not sure!! But this is a fantastic idea and serves the purpose of proving a point to him as well... He went out with his neighbor again and figures he’s lost 10-15 yards in the last 15 years. I’m not sure where this conclusion comes from but I’m trying to work with him... I guess the math sorta works?? 1yd/year?!?!

He also mentioned an “uncontrollable slice” with his driver, making things very difficult for his second shot. He is really liking the new putter though, hitting putts on line appears to be a plus, no shit Sherlock! Haha
Louie, someone mentioned it before I could... the offset driver. It may help, also try different shafts. If it's the ego thats not gonna change, look into irons that are stronger lofted. Or even have whatever irons he gets bent strong so if he thinks "I can hit that 7 iron 150", well, you do, but it's 3 or 4 degrees strong, or its a 6 iron. I would also look at his grip. A proper grip will have a profound effect on how he hits the ball. Also, his new putter... 38" sounds like its a counter balanced model, unless he's 6'1-6'3". Ether way, stick with it. Your tenacity will pay off and he will have more fun. Oh... What tees is he playing? If he's hitting driver and more than a 5 iron into par 4s, he's playing too far back. MOVE UP!

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Louie, someone mentioned it before I could... the offset driver. It may help, also try different shafts. If it's the ego thats not gonna change, look into irons that are stronger lofted. Or even have whatever irons he gets bent strong so if he thinks "I can hit that 7 iron 150", well, you do, but it's 3 or 4 degrees strong, or its a 6 iron. I would also look at his grip. A proper grip will have a profound effect on how he hits the ball. Also, his new putter... 38" sounds like its a counter balanced model, unless he's 6'1-6'3". Ether way, stick with it. Your tenacity will pay off and he will have more fun. Oh... What tees is he playing? If he's hitting driver and more than a 5 iron into par 4s, he's playing too far back. MOVE UP!

My FIL is 6’3-6’4 in that neighborhood. He’s a big man and his son is even taller!! Years of playing hockey and baseball have me convinced that 10-15 years ago he was no doubt smashing the ball like he says... Unfortunately those days are well behind him. In the last 3 years he’s had both knees replaced and is on a waiting list for a new shoulder. If there was ever a time to make a change, I’d say it’s now!!

I’m confident my tenacity will pay off it the long run, it began with the new putter. I think he may just get a new driver for Christmas from the grandkids. Irons and hybrids could follow. It’s a slow and sometimes painfully frustrating adventure. But it’s golf, so I’m ok with it!

🔥 Latest posts