• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club Fittings Question

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
he may just get a new driver for Christmas from the grandkids. Irons and hybrids could follow...

On that note, are there any manufacturers I should definitely be looking at for him?? TM seems popular among the masses and maybe one of the easiest to find used online. And on the flip side of the coin, any I should just plain steer clear of?

As always, any and all advice or input appreciated! Cheers

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
On that note, are there any manufacturers I should definitely be looking at for him?? TM seems popular among the masses and maybe one of the easiest to find used online. And on the flip side of the coin, any I should just plain steer clear of?

As always, any and all advice or input appreciated! Cheers
If he's really fighting a slice, Tour Edge and Cobra both make offset drivers. Tour Edge has lifetime warranty on all their products... and they are competitively priced. Should his ego keep him from wanting to go the offset route, there are some draw biased drivers available. Callaway's newer models have some "draw biased" models. The Ping line of drivers has the SFT which is draw biased. A couple of guys we play with regularly found Callaway Epic drivers as really good prices. The one gentleman is a regular in our group and went from an old Callaway Hawkeye to the new Epic. Unbelievable the difference it made in his game.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Callaway and Ping were two that immediately jumped to my mind, had not thought about Cobra, so that will be another thrown into the mix. I also very much realize this decision is not mine to make!! However, think of it more as a strategy going in. Ideally I’d like to have several manufacturers of varied ages for him. No older than maybe 5 years?!? And just let him hit’em all and see... what he thinks, what he likes, what happens. His son really pushes TM, although not playing them himself!?!?! but to be fair, we will try a few models of them too. He loves the putter, so who knows...??

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
If his ego is in the way, good luck. I made the switch to offset drivers and graphite iron shafts at his age and my game improved immediately. My ego still wants t hit steel shafts but my hands and elbows win over. Father Time is undefeated.

Another vote for TourEdge Hot Launch brand.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If his ego is in the way, good luck. I made the switch to offset drivers and graphite iron shafts at his age and my game improved immediately. My ego still wants t hit steel shafts but my hands and elbows win over. Father Time is undefeated.

Another vote for TourEdge Hot Launch brand.
What's the deal with your signature, Steve?????!!!!!! Not one Ping club???? Blasphemy! Turn your Ping card... and your man card... in immediately! You don't deserve either when you've desecrated Karsten's memories by playing "girlie" clubs!!!:eek:

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
What's the deal with your signature, Steve?????!!!!!! Not one Ping club???? Blasphemy! Turn your Ping card... and your man card... in immediately! You don't deserve either when you've desecrated Karsten's memories by playing "girlie" clubs!!!:eek:
Man clubs don't launch high enough any more. I might give the PING GMAX iron a go.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Man clubs don't launch high enough any more. I might give the PING GMAX iron a go.

My iBlades have the KBS Tour 120 (S) shafts. These have always had a super high trajectory. Never thought anything would hit balls higher then my old Eye 2's. These do! And, with those shafts I shouldn't be able to even swing them, let along get the ball off the ground. If anything, I have difficulty hitting low punch shots.
Had a set of the GMax for a short while. Picked them up with the "Soft Regular" graphite shafts. One of the most inconsistent sets I've every played. I just know it was the shafts and not the clubhead. My "self made" swing looks like Jim Furyk on steroids. Those light shafts coupled with my swing would have 10 to 15 yards difference in length for the same club. You just never knew how long... or how short... the ball would go.
One of the better players in our group has a set with the (R) graphite shafts. He has them benched and is playing a older set of TM irons. He's has trouble with inconsistency, too. And... he has a pretty swing.
Some day I'm going to have to go to graphite in something. As much as I play, I can begin to tell the stress these steel shafts are putting on old, worn out joints. One day it will be a wrist. The next day a shoulder. Nothing serious enough to make a change yet.
When I sent the serial number for my Eye 2+ BeCu's to Ping, the reply said they were sent out with the Cushin inserts. May just put them in the bag for next season and see if there is a little less issue with the old joints.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
My iBlades have the KBS Tour 120 (S) shafts. These have always had a super high trajectory. Never thought anything would hit balls higher then my old Eye 2's. These do! And, with those shafts I shouldn't be able to even swing them, let along get the ball off the ground. If anything, I have difficulty hitting low punch shots.
Had a set of the GMax for a short while. Picked them up with the "Soft Regular" graphite shafts. One of the most inconsistent sets I've every played. I just know it was the shafts and not the clubhead. My "self made" swing looks like Jim Furyk on steroids. Those light shafts coupled with my swing would have 10 to 15 yards difference in length for the same club. You just never knew how long... or how short... the ball would go.
One of the better players in our group has a set with the (R) graphite shafts. He has them benched and is playing a older set of TM irons. He's has trouble with inconsistency, too. And... he has a pretty swing.
Some day I'm going to have to go to graphite in something. As much as I play, I can begin to tell the stress these steel shafts are putting on old, worn out joints. One day it will be a wrist. The next day a shoulder. Nothing serious enough to make a change yet.
When I sent the serial number for my Eye 2+ BeCu's to Ping, the reply said they were sent out with the Cushin inserts. May just put them in the bag for next season and see if there is a little less issue with the old joints.
I know. I fear I've become a pussie in my ripe old age of 68! I'm a young man in most of my golf groups. If I swung a stiff steel shaft, I don't think I'd get the ball off the ground.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I know. I fear I've become a ***** in my ripe old age of 68! I'm a young man in most of my golf groups. If I swung a stuff steel shaft, I don't think I'd get the ball off the ground.
There's no way at 74, in another 15 days, that I should be able to play these KBS shafts. One of the longest hitters in our group plays Titleist irons with regular graphite shafts. He and I usually hit the same iron for similar distances. He just turned 80. The "youngsters" in the group are hitting hybrids from just about everywhere. One just got a new Epic driver with a senior shaft. If he could ever get the left to right curl out of his ball flight, he'd be almost as long off the tee. He will use a 6 hybrid where I use an 8 iron.
We all have to use what works best for us so we can enjoy this game. The game can be too frustrating to make it even more so by playing clubs you cannot score with. As long as I can not embarrass myself and play competitively with my group of geezers... and win 50 or 75 cents once in a while... I'm not going to get too hung up on having clubs in the bag made for a 20 year old flat-belly.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Unless I sneak up behind him, hit him in the head with something to knock his ego outta there. I’m afraid it will always be in the way. So the good luck, thank you! Cause I just may need it. But a number of you have also made the comment along the lines of “seeing is believing” and I’m sure that will be the case with him too.

It happened with the putter, he had sworn to never try a mallet putter, didn’t like them. Putters are to be 35”, not shorter or longer... took some time, missed putts and who knows how many 3+ putts... he now has a mallet that’s 38”, and can putt pretty decent with it. Holy shit fellas, do I maybe know what I’m talking about??? Just maybe! I’m sure with some time, a little bombardment with equipment and he will too see the need to change!

Fingers crossed anyway...

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
Tou understand that the reason most putters sold are 35", and THE ONLY reason... is so they don't fall into your. Need to be fit properly.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Tou understand that the reason most putters sold are 35", and THE ONLY reason... is so they don't fall into your. Need to be fit properly.

If you would like to try explaining that to him, please be my guest!! If you get through to him, you’d be my hero!! LOL

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country

"You" understand...
They don't fall into your "bag"...
Sorry, just saw the reply and my post looks jacked up...

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Been a while since I added an update to this, actually had to go searching for the thread! LOL

Yesterday I made what I’m going to be calling “monumentally huge” progress with the FIL!! I finally managed to get some graphite shafted irons in his hands.

Made some time for a trip to the golf store. As he always does, he immediately started picking through new stuff scoffing at the prices. I stuck to my plan and ignoring him, went straight to the used section. Just grabbing irons off the rack, anything with a graphite shaft. By the time he found me I’d found him four sets to try. Not giving him a chance to complain I grabbed a bucket of balls and out to test we went.

He tried 9i’s from: TM M4 reg flex, Ping G10 reg flex, Mizuno JPK-somethings with reg steel, that I picked to prove a point. AND I snuck in a Ping i2000 with SR flex!!! He tried them in that order as well. I kept the balls away from him, handing him a few at a time, basically forcing him to slow down and focus. I also had him aim at a red flag less than 100yds away. The M4’s and G10’s he hit well, immediately noticed how light they felt and easy it was to swing. He was flying the ball right over the flag, shockingly good shots too!! Then he tried the steel shafted Mizunos, all of a sudden he’s hitting it fat and weak slices going nowhere. Too heavy he said you could also tell he felt the impact through his body, in a bad way! Then it came time for the dark horse, didn't dare tell him but handed him the SR flex Ping... Some of the best swings I’ve seen him make in a few years and also noticed a gigantic smile spreading across his face. “What are these?” He kept asking, “oh I like this” “feels like I could play with these!”

Was that a lightbulb going off???

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Been a while since I added an update to this, actually had to go searching for the thread! LOL

Yesterday I made what I’m going to be calling “monumentally huge” progress with the FIL!! I finally managed to get some graphite shafted irons in his hands.

Made some time for a trip to the golf store. As he always does, he immediately started picking through new stuff scoffing at the prices. I stuck to my plan and ignoring him, went straight to the used section. Just grabbing irons off the rack, anything with a graphite shaft. By the time he found me I’d found him four sets to try. Not giving him a chance to complain I grabbed a bucket of balls and out to test we went.

He tried 9i’s from: TM M4 reg flex, Ping G10 reg flex, Mizuno JPK-somethings with reg steel, that I picked to prove a point. AND I snuck in a Ping i2000 with SR flex!!! He tried them in that order as well. I kept the balls away from him, handing him a few at a time, basically forcing him to slow down and focus. I also had him aim at a red flag less than 100yds away. The M4’s and G10’s he hit well, immediately noticed how light they felt and easy it was to swing. He was flying the ball right over the flag, shockingly good shots too!! Then he tried the steel shafted Mizunos, all of a sudden he’s hitting it fat and weak slices going nowhere. Too heavy he said you could also tell he felt the impact through his body, in a bad way! Then it came time for the dark horse, didn't dare tell him but handed him the SR flex Ping... Some of the best swings I’ve seen him make in a few years and also noticed a gigantic smile spreading across his face. “What are these?” He kept asking, “oh I like this” “feels like I could play with these!”

Was that a lightbulb going off???
Don't leave us hanging!!! Did he buy the Pings????

🔥 Latest posts