• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club help needed...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So in the last year my wife and I have bought our first house and found out we are expecting our first child. As you can imagine my golf game has found new levels of rust as i have played on average once a month. I currently play Hogan Apex pro, for those who don't know they are forged cavity backs. The question i have is this, i am considering a switch to more forgiving clubs, like X-18's or something similar. Do these so called "game improvers" offer that much more forgiveness than my forges? Is it enough to make the switch worth while and bring a little more enjoyment to my one round a month?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
FWIW, I think having the shaft perfectly matched to your swing tempo matters more than the head shape.

I play Hogan Apex blades that came with stiff Apex 4 steel shafts. My previous set was Hogan CFTs with graphite shafts. I was terrible with both of them. Big hooks at odd times. After having a launch monitor session and shaft fitting on the Apexes, I am merely bad. :)

Sold the CFTs, and I'm having a blast with the reshafted (now Rifle 5.0)Apexes. They now go long and straight.

My recommendation is to find a really goodclubfitter with a Vector launch monitor, video, etc.; find the best shaft type & flex (frequency matched) for you, then decide on the head. Most good clubfitters have a selection of heads that can be attached to whatever shaft with Conex fittings. I went though 8 shafts and 5 heads during the fitting session before finding the perfect one for me. The heads were the Apexes I was already using, but the shaft is totally different.

When my timing is right, I can feel the shaft load at the top and release exactly at impact.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I guess it comes down to how golf goes for you. Do you want to work out the kinks in your irons and stick with a better feeling club, or take it easier and use things that are more forgiving.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
JEFF4i said:
I guess it comes down to how golf goes for you. Do you want to work out the kinks in your irons and stick with a better feeling club, or take it easier and use things that are more forgiving.

I guess you're right, i dont really want to give up my Hogans, but hate playing like crap. The reality is that my swing isnt what i have lost most not being able to play. Since my drop in playing time i have completely lost my short game. Distance control for me at the moment is a joke, and forget about speed of putts on the green. Oh well...just need to find a balance i guess.

🔥 Latest posts