• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club Medic Groove Sharpener..How does it work?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
i have it, works well for cleaning the grooves out really well...as for sharpening the grooves....no, it doesnt.

Now that i have it, i will keep it, but really, a Tee will do almost as good of a job. I got mine because i got free shipping if i spent another 5 bucks or something(shipping was gonig to be 25) so i bought this thing.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
A friend bought an expensive carbide groove sharpener and it really works great. Don't know which one though. :)

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I used a sharpener from groovesharpener.com. Look under ebay golf clubmaking tools. It's the flat one . Works great.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
I used a sharpener from groovesharpener.com. Look under ebay golf clubmaking tools. It's the flat one . Works great.

From that site:

SHARPEN GROOVES TO USGA LIMIT AND BEYOND

Hmmmmm. I couldn't find any detail clarifying whether their tool will make a wedge nonconforming. But it sure sounds like it.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
I have and use the same one as Zaphod, I'll second his "works great". Just an FYI, if your wedges are not made of stainless they will start to rust in the grooves after you sharpen them. At least my tour chrome vokeys did/do.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Hmmmmm. I couldn't find any detail clarifying whether their tool will make a wedge nonconforming. But it sure sounds like it.
Yet another sticky question that asks, "Should amateur players use the same rules as the pros?"

Pros can afford to replace their wedges as soon as the grooves begin to show signs of wear. Most amateurs cannot. So we use a carbide tool that makes the grooves non-conforming. Our indexes are now invalid, and we are technically prohibited from playing in any handicapped tournament.

No easy answer to this one. Most people could care less, and wouldn't bother to question another amateur's wedge dimensions. But someone could, I suppose, ask that an amateur tournament winner's equipment be submitted to the USGA for testing.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Most wedges already have grooves that are the very limit for depth per USGA rules. I have never seen anyone sharpen wedge grooves with an after market tool like these and still have grooves that are conforming. So if you sharpen the grooves yourself be aware you really shouldn't be using that wedge for tournaments or for posting HDCP scores.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Most wedges already have grooves that are the very limit for depth per USGA rules. I have never seen anyone sharpen wedge grooves with an after market tool like these and still have grooves that are conforming. So if you sharpen the grooves yourself be aware you really shouldn't be using that wedge for tournaments or for posting HDCP scores.

Absolutely true Lyle. but I can not afford new wedges every 10th round, so I live with the fact I will not be on the Champions tour or any other tour for that matter;)

I believe there are more people breaking the stroke AND distance rule for a lost balls. Just depends on how rules aware you want to be. I broke the rules last night by changing the weight configuration of my R7. Purgatory is waiting for me.;)

OP
btdickey99

btdickey99

Aug 3, 2008
Burlington, NC
Country

if you read USGA depth is set at .22, and these tools made for this have a block on them that does not allow it to go beyond .20, reason being why I purchased this.

I could be wrong, but this was the way that I interpretted the rule, and please feel free to correct me otherwise.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I have a groove measuring gauge, and have never had a wedge comply after it has been sharpened, not a single solitary one.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I believe there are more people breaking the stroke AND distance rule for a lost balls. Just depends on how rules aware you want to be. I broke the rules last night by changing the weight configuration of my R7. Purgatory is waiting for me.;)

I will be there with you since I am hauling around 16 clubs right now. Sure hope I don't get banned from playing with friends because we don't follow every ancient USGA rule.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
With my reputation I believe just entering the tee box is a rules violation. I try to get around this by wearing Groucho Marx glasses and mustache when I golf. Got to fool those USGA guys some how.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.