• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club throwing tales

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
"The driver goes the shortest distance when you throw it. The putter flies farthest, followed by the sand wedge".
Tommy Bolt

It's been a while since I've thrown a club, but I've bent a shaft or two (never snapped one). I've dug a wedge or two into the ground, I've sworn at the golfing gods and myself. I've also seen some outstanding examples of people losing their temper on the links. I'm talking total rage.

Who's got the best rage story?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Played my first round of golf in about 1983. Since that time, have played hundreds of rounds at courses across the U.S. In all those rounds... with all those bad shots... I've thrown a clubs once. ONCE!!! And, it was when... it was the ONLY time my best golfing buddy's daughter happend to be in our group. That was probably 6 years ago and he's never let me forget it!!!!!

We're the first group out on Saturdays and Sundays. We play quick... really quick. That morning, we had 4 in the group and were on pace for playing 18 in just over two hours. We had made the turn in 1:10, moving with lightening speed. A two in a cart started on #10, as we were in the fairway hitting our second shots. As we got to the green, they were waiting in the fairway. We putted out, headed to our carts, and two balls rolled by our cart... no where near the green... both balls evidently hit at the same time. On 11, they teed off while we were in the fairway. I blew a gasket. Told the other three I was taking the cart and heading back to "visit" with them. The other 3 told me the only thing that would solve would be to further irritate them. The "vote" was that we move aside and allow them through. (If the buddy's daughter hadn't been with us, I don't believe that would have been the majority vote.) As the idiots hit their second shots and got back into their cart, I loudly stated what I thought of their mother and sister and lobbed a club at their cart. Stupid of me. They could have just as easily have turned around and run over the club. Of course, that would have led to an even more disastrous event. That is the ONLY time I've ever tossed a club.

Son-in-law, however, has a history of immature outbursts of temper. As he's hit 40, he is maturing out of that characteristic. Before he married our daughter, he and I were playing a course that had quite a few trees. He duffed a shot and helicoptered the offending iron. The 5-iron went up... and never came down. Yep, probably 15 FT up in a tree. Two groups played through while he climbed the tree and retreived his club. Since then, he has still hurled clubs... but always where he knew he could walk to them.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Nobody beats Smails.

11464331-large.jpg

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Friend of mine that I got into golfing hit three balls into the woods on a particular hole...

First with his driver, put it away, then with his fairway wood, put that away. When he watched the third ball sail into the woods off his 5i, the 5i took a trip into those same woods. It's still there.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Haven't thrown a club in awhile, probably 10 years and on that day I hit a snap hook into the water and my driver joined it. Buried my PW in the fairway a few times though...

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
There's really something soothing stoopit about hammer throwing a $300 driver into a lake.
That's my take.

I never understood it. I've been extremely pissed off during any given round of golf, but destroying my own equipment is about the lowest form of retribution I can think of.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
That's my take.

I never understood it. I've been extremely pissed off during any given round of golf, but destroying my own equipment is about the lowest form of retribution I can think of.
Yep, extremely pissed people do stoopit things.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
That's my take.

I've tossed clubs to the ground. I've never owned a $300 club, actually, my entire bag doesn't even break $300. I definitely wouldn't be tossing it into the lake. lol, that would be like throwing my entire bag into the lake and walking away. Might as well take off my golf shoes and throw them in too, because I won't be buying any clubs anytime soon.

I've found a few broken clubs in trash cans.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

Agree. I've never done it. I'd rather throw myself in the water. I'm the doofus behind any bad shot.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Never thrown a club. Most I do is pound the ground a few times. I've buried a wedge once or twice when I've chunked/skulled a chip.

Not into destroying my stuff, it ruins the resale value.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I think I was around 18 at the time and had never played golf. Guys at work wanted to have a little outing so I tagged along. Used some rented clubs and I absolutely sucked as expected. We played Petrifying Springs which Nu and Wbl both know. Anyways it was like the 7th hole or so and I hit a worm burner drive that went all of 15' tops. I grabbed the entire bag of clubs and threw them, and I got a huge laugh because the bag went further than my drive did.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I think some of ya'll are full of it with how much you haven't thrown clubs or what have you. I'm wierd because some days i'm Dufner calm and others i'm Sergio raging. I get pissed when i'm making a real effort practice wise, have a good range session before round, and then act like a tard on the course. At the last "outing" I was blasting my driver at the range and then I hit exactly 1 good driver shot all day. Maybe 2 good tee shots of any kind all day. I wasn't happy inside about that, but i'm not about to ruin eclark's or Fitzpatrick's day about it. By myself, I probably would've given a club a toss back towards my bag or given the ground a good slam.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think some of ya'll are full of it with how much you haven't thrown clubs or what have you. I'm wierd because some days i'm Dufner calm and others i'm Sergio raging. I get pissed when i'm making a real effort practice wise, have a good range session before round, and then act like a tard on the course. At the last "outing" I was blasting my driver at the range and then I hit exactly 1 good driver shot all day. Maybe 2 good tee shots of any kind all day. I wasn't happy inside about that, but i'm not about to ruin eclark's or Fitzpatrick's day about it. By myself, I probably would've given a club a toss back towards my bag or given the ground a good slam.
I just don't get the need to throw things. It doesn't help, not me anyway. I've never had a temper though in any sports I've played.

🔥 Latest posts