• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

club weights...

tsiguy96

Aug 6, 2005
i was at the golf store the other day and saw a weight thats made for drivers, sorta like what they use in baseball. well in my baseball years i used them all the time and they worked wonderful for raising swing speed, does the same concept apply for golf? do these things help get a higher swing speed? right now im only driving 235-240, and i would like to get another 20-30 yards, maybe this might be a way to go about it..that and not hitting the ball so damn high in the air when im driving

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I don't know about club weights but teeing the ball lower and (or) moving it back in your stance will lower the ball flight.

I use the old 2 1/4" tees and stick them in the ground just enough to keep them from falling over....this helps me maintain a lower ball flight.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
If you work with the weight, not stick it in the closet, it will work just like in baseball.

OP
T

tsiguy96

Aug 6, 2005
Slingblade61 said:
I don't know about club weights but teeing the ball lower and (or) moving it back in your stance will lower the ball flight.

I use the old 2 1/4" tees and stick them in the ground just enough to keep them from falling over....this helps me maintain a lower ball flight.

i thought that to keep the ball low you move it forward in your stance catching the ball sorta on the upswing, putting a forward spin on the ball and keeping it from going sky high?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
That may be true for some but for me, teeing up too high means I hit under the ball causing a great big balloon ( I could have tea waiting for the ball to come back down) and a nasty skymark on the clubhead.

Keeping the ball forward, hitting on the upswing, in my case, creates higher ball flight.

I tee it low and address the ball in the middle of my stance rather than aligned with my left armpit.....works for me and it can't hurt to try it at the range.

ALSO....since I tend to slice, moving the ball back in my stance gives the clubhead less time to open up which brings me to swing mechanics.....LOL! I'll have to save that horror story for another day. :)

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Sling

The slice is from a outside in swingpath. Leaving the face open or closed will only affect a pull or push.
Think about turning your shoulder level, you can hold a club aginst your shoulders and turn, the shaft should still be level, not pointing up or down. Chances are you will see it pointing down creating a steep swing plane and to try and correct it you are spinning your shoulders out leaving your hands behind and open. This will create a slice or worse a push slice.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Roger that OB.

I have been working on it and the slice is MUCH less pronounced....it's almost just a fade. :)

Of course, every now and then I smash one into the trees, only now they are going left. :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Slingblade61 said:
Roger that OB.

I have been working on it and the slice is MUCH less pronounced....it's almost just a fade. :)

Of course, every now and then I smash one into the trees, only now they are going left. :)

Sounds like you have everything figured out. ;)

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.