• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Clugnut's annual "Which driver next?" question

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Why oh why can't I find a driver I can stick with? I think that I might have figured it out. The look I prefer is not one that matches my skill level. Also, if I try to hit up on the ball, I end up with a nasty, high cutter that goes nowhere, mainly because of a reverse pivot. So, I think I need something with enough loft that I don't feel the need to lift it, because I'm sick of out driving my driver with my three wood. The criteria are:

1. Forgiving
2. 10-11 degrees of loft, square to 1 degree closed face angle
3. Draw biased
4. Some sort of adjustibility would be a plus.

The main contentors are the obvious ones. R9 something, or some sort of I-mix with a head or 2. Also considering Cobra L5V, or perhaps an L4V F. I don't know. I'm open to anything that works, I mean I use an I-trax for pete's sake. Any suggestions?

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Nike Dymo2 Srt8 fit? Only $199 new, goes for o more than $100 used. it is forgiving and gives you the most adjustability possible for a very comfortable price...

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
How does it launch relative to loft, X? I'm watching an 11.5 right now, thinking that would be cool with a Protopype or something. Is the shaft removeable from the head for shaft changes?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Nickent 4DX evolver.

Hey Clug, the pink club arrived and I've played with it a few times. The feel at impact is outstanding, as is the sound. But I think 75-S might be either too light, or too weak in that shaft. I might be opting to put an 85-X NVS in it (still pink!). I'll keep you posted. It seems like I only get a good ball when I put a very lazy swing on it. If I try to put some power behind it with a faster turn I'm almost missing the ball.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
How does it launch relative to loft, X? I'm watching an 11.5 right now, thinking that would be cool with a Protopype or something. Is the shaft removeable from the head for shaft changes?

It is a high launch low spin head. It does launch very high (I own a 10.5º) compated to my old Hibore XL but as Lyle said, it never really baloons, and the "air time" does increase some distance (anout 10yds further from my previous). I'm very happy with the Discovery (since I paid like $100 for it new) I'm waiting for a V2 shaft to arrive to lower the flight and make it more piercing.

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Cobra L5V is in the house. 10.5 degrees/ Axivcore Blue 69. $85 shipped with wrench. We'll see.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Why oh why can't I find a driver I can stick with? I think that I might have figured it out. The look I prefer is not one that matches my skill level. Also, if I try to hit up on the ball, I end up with a nasty, high cutter that goes nowhere, mainly because of a reverse pivot. So, I think I need something with enough loft that I don't feel the need to lift it, because I'm sick of out driving my driver with my three wood. The criteria are:

1. Forgiving
2. 10-11 degrees of loft, square to 1 degree closed face angle
3. Draw biased
4. Some sort of adjustibility would be a plus.

The main contentors are the obvious ones. R9 something, or some sort of I-mix with a head or 2. Also considering Cobra L5V, or perhaps an L4V F. I don't know. I'm open to anything that works, I mean I use an I-trax for pete's sake. Any suggestions?

Clugnut--I used that TS Renegade I think I got from you.??? Anyway a couple a days ago I was killing the ball with that club. Had not used it all season last year. I am now hitting gentle draws that seem to carry forever. In the 270 yard range. I think the lesson of the story is Drivers age like fine wines. Store them in the dark for a year or two and they reach their potential. Now that I have used the Renegade and allowed it to "breath" I'm not sure if all that full flavored righteousness will be retained. Time will tell.

Anyway back to topic. One of the finest drivers (and at a reasonable cost) I have in my stable is the TM 10* R5 TP. Movable weight technology and paired with your favorite 0.335 shaft is a wicked long, forgiving combo.

Another suggestion---Rather than looking for a driver how about the Feel "Release" Grips. Check out WBL post about same.

I too have struggled at times a severve reverse pivot. ( Ask sssmokin) Anyway I seem to have it under control now after reading 1 plane / 2 plane book. I'm a 2 planer. Once I got that sorted out and stuck to principles of the same my shot is now straight or that gentle draw. Throughout the bag.

Magnito

Apr 30, 2008
Been away from the board for a while. Hows about a ParFit (adjustable hosel, diamondtourgolf), I'm getting one in a few days. Economical and good quality head from what i've heard.

Members online

No members online now.