• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Clugnut's mystical mallet putter tour

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I had nothing to do this afternoon, so I hit up all the local stores that carried golf stuff to try every mallet putter I could get my hand on. I'm not sure what I missed. I know I didn't hit any Camerons, which is OK with me. I'll try to give a quick overview of my thoughts. BGITHF stand for "ball get in the hole factor"

TaylorMade Spider: This is the one I wanted to hit. Very easy to align, and wants to stay square back. I made some very poor strokes, and danged if a few of those went in. Feel was OK, not too bad. Loft is very little, as I hit some skippers if I'd forward press.

Looks: 8/10 Feel: 7/10 Alignment: 9/10 BGITHF: 9/10

TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy Spider: I really liked the look of this one. They decreased the size 20%, and brought the back "wings" inboard. MOI is decreased as well, and you could actually hit a bad putt with this one. Feel is markedly improved, and you can get a plumbers neck. Great upgrade over original aesthetically. The alignment aid is also better, as it drops the back half circle for a cleaner look.

Looks: 9/10 Feel: 9/10 Alignment: 9.5/10 BGITHF: 8/10

Rife 2 bar hybrid: Best Rife I have ever hit. The new insert feels very nice. Alignment is good, the bars help. Adjustable weighting is nice

Looks: 7/10 Feel: 8/10 Alignment: 8/10 BGITHF: 7/10

Ping Craz-E: This one was the black one, I forget the series. Felt very heavy. Insert was soft, and I kept leaving them short. Alignment of the luge guy sucks to me.

Looks: 6/10 Feel: 7/10 Alignment: 5/10 BGITHF: 5/10

Odyssey Tri Ball SRT: Thing is huge! I couldn't get over it. Hideous to my eye, but I holed about everthing with it. Nice swing, simple to align. White steel insert is too firm for me.

Looks: 5/10 Feel: 6/10 Alignment 10/10 BGITHF: 10/10

Odyssey Black Series #7: The Fang! Weighting was very nice, alignment was pretty simple. Feel was a little firm for me, but still nice. I didn't like this one the last time I tried it, but this time I didn't hate it.

Looks: 7/10 Feel: 7/10 Alignment: 8/10 BGITHF: 8/10

Yes! Hanna: Center shafted mallet. I gamed a Tracy II for 2 years. I hated this putter. I couldn't control speed or direction. It felt very hard and harsh.

Looks: 7/10 Feel: 0/10 Alignment: 5/10 BGITHF: 0/10

Odyssey White Hot XG SRT 2-ball: Unbelievable that I have never owned a 2-ball. I shyed away from them because everyone had one. Big mistake. This style alignment I believe is the best for me. Lining the balls up is easy. This one was point and shoot. Weighting was perfect, and it was nice to look down at. Lie angle was great, and the feel off the XG insert is perfect to me. I really, really liked this one

Looks: 9/10 Feel: 10/10 Alignment: 10/10 BGITHF: 9.5/10

These are the ones that stood out to me. Unfortunately, I went in thinking I was getting a Spider, so I didn't try out the 2-ball SRT XG until the very last. I'm really torn about which to get. I'm down to the big Spider, or the Odyssey. Maybe I'll just ho both!

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I have a PING doc 15 you can have cheap. ;) I thought it would help line up a little better during a putting rut last year; terrible, terrible idea that was...

Curious, why are you looking at mallets? Just bored, or is something wrong with the byron?

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I have a problem with alignment. I missed to the left a lot. I felt with most of the them that my alignment improved straight away. Don't know.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Clug,

I have a35" ITRAX with all the inserts that needs a home. If you want to try it out, see if it works for you, LMK. It's currently heavy with some lead tape (you don't notice it, but it helps with balance and plane), but you can modify the weight all you want. Hell, strip the paint off the head, i don't care.

I have several putters ahead of it, so this wouldn't put me out any. :thumbs up:

R35

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I'd take Mr. Rockford up on that if I were you Clug. Then just hope it doesn't get 'lost' in the mail. You'd be doing the world a favor. Those things are so damn ugly... :p

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Ha, I already sent him a PM. Personally, nothing is more disgusting looking then the sight of an 8 footer sliding by the hole after sticking it in there from 170 yards.

Although, I thought that I did not care what a putter looked like. Then, I picked up the Tri-ball. I should have one of those, but its just too big and gross. True game improvement putter.

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
No untruer words were ever put together...LOL.

Game improvement putter. Ya, right. :D

R35

You've never putted with a Cameron Newport Beach, then. Sweet spot the size of the prick that made it.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
You've never putted with a Cameron Newport Beach, then. Sweet spot the size of the prick that made it.

You don't know if the guy that made it is a prick or not, you need to pay $2500 to get one from the prick himself. lol

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
You don't know if the guy that made it is a prick or not, you need to pay $2500 to get one from the prick himself. lol

Ha, true dat. I have no business calling Scotty that. The man is a business genius. I was just trying to get a rise out of "The Nation".

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Ha, true dat. I have no business calling Scotty that. The man is a business genius. I was just trying to get a rise out of "The Nation".

I wouldn't worry about it. What's Mr. C going to do, refuse to sell you a putter?

🔥 Latest posts