• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cold weather ball

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
On someone's advice, I decided to try the Dunlop (Maxfli) Loco as a cold-weather ball this past weekend. They're not all that slick to look at, but they're white and round, so what the hey. Also pretty cheap.

Bottom line, they performed very well for me, with good distance and very soft feel. And although our greens normally hold well, I was able to hit some shots that surprised me greatly with their stick-to-itiveness. Like a downwind 4 iron that stuck 6 inches from the ball mark.

Was the weather cold? As a matter of fact, no. We had a record high on Saturday of 76 degrees (northern Ohio), very pleasantly offset by sustained SW wind of 30 mph, gusting to 50 mph. So much for my cold-weather experiment, but you never know in the game of golf. Even with 50 mph gusts, I played one of my solidest rounds of the year (a 75). Just goes to show you never can tell...

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
The Loco is a nice ball all-around. The only drawback is that it scratches easily.
Now no more talk about weather for at least 5 months. It'll dip me into golf depression. :puke:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Agreed. It's getting "up" to +10*C tommorrow, but i'm so bogged down with work right now, no chance of getting out....

Cripes.... :eek:

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
jc@bg said:
On someone's advice, I decided to try the Dunlop (Maxfli) Loco as a cold-weather ball this past weekend. They're not all that slick to look at, but they're white and round, so what the hey. Also pretty cheap.

Bottom line, they performed very well for me, with good distance and very soft feel. And although our greens normally hold well, I was able to hit some shots that surprised me greatly with their stick-to-itiveness. Like a downwind 4 iron that stuck 6 inches from the ball mark.

Was the weather cold? As a matter of fact, no. We had a record high on Saturday of 76 degrees (northern Ohio), very pleasantly offset by sustained SW wind of 30 mph, gusting to 50 mph. So much for my cold-weather experiment, but you never know in the game of golf. Even with 50 mph gusts, I played one of my solidest rounds of the year (a 75). Just goes to show you never can tell...

When it does get cold - like this weekend - let me know how you come out with your ball tests. I would like a cold weather ball. We play here in January and February as long as it is 50+F which is about half the time....

OP
jc@bg

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
Will do. I played 9 holes yesterday, to test a couple of new clubs. Basically, I was practicing on the course, because I hit multiple shots in most situations, some with an "old" club and some with its potential replacement, to see which worked better. I also left the driver in the car and teed off with the new clubs, a 3-wood and a 21-degree hybrid, to get maximum experience with them. Temperature was 52 degrees, overcast, with a moderate NE (cold) wind. It also had rained an inch the day before. As it happened, I had in the ball sleeve of my golf bag a couple of Locos, a Precept U-Tri spin, and a Titleist DT Solo. Head to head, the Loco went a little farther than the Precept or the Titleist (maybe 5 yards farther on a shot of roughly 200 ards) and definitely flew straight.

I also plan to try some of my wife's favorite balls, the Precept MC lady, when the weather gets cold enough. I hate to lose 'em for her--the leaves get pretty bad around now--but she loses plenty on her own account. One or two more shouldn't make a difference.

Bravo said:
When it does get cold - like this weekend - let me know how you come out with your ball tests. I would like a cold weather ball. We play here in January and February as long as it is 50+F which is about half the time....

🔥 Latest posts