• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cold weather golf ball?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
It's time for the annual cold weather golf ball thread. :)

Yesterday, when I started playing at 1PM, the temp was 45°F. The golf ball was going nowhere.

I tried every variety of ball that I had in my bag: Titleist ProV1, Titleist NXT Tour, Titleist DT-Solo, Taylormade TP Red, Maxfli Tour Fire, Maxfli Black Max. The Black Max was the only one that felt remotely soft, and they have been long discontinued.

Anyone have a recommendation for a soft winter time golf ball?

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Nike Soft-Feel (in the green boxes) work really well....Srixon AD333 are excellent cold weather balls.

The best I ever hit in cold weather were the Strata Tour straight, which were 37 compression...lowest ever made and can still be found at some places.

I heard the new Wilson 50-50 are made for cold weather and slow speeds as well.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Just keep 'em warm. I carry a couple in my pocket and alternate balls on each hole. They stay nice & squishey.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
You'd better get some heated "socks" for your driver graphite shafts to keep those loose too!!! :D :D :D :laugh:

Anyone watch the Packers/Bears game yesterday (-1º wind chill)? That's what you'd have to deal with up here (if you could find a course open)... :D

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
I don't see how your balls can get cold when you are leaving them in the GF's purse, unless she's leaving it in the car overnight.

But really bring them in doors when they aren't in play and when they are keep a couple hand warmers in your pocket with the balls and it works out well.

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
Anyone watch the Packers/Bears game yesterday (-1º wind chill)? That's what you'd have to deal with up here (if you could find a course open)... :D

Should of been at the Bengals game. 25-30 degrees, but 50mph wind gusts. Talk about wind chill. :laugh:

I'm a fan of the DT So/Lo, the Precept Laddie, and the Wilson Fifty as low-compression balls. I wouldn't be caught dead in the summer with a Wilson Fifty because it's a dead ball, but in the winter it's much better.

Then again, I'm a cheap bastard so I'll hit anything... :laugh:

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
Wilson's 50/50 is fantastic in the cold, IMO. I don't know how their new Zip balls are, but I suppose they would be good too. I played a 50/50 ball for my last round this year (about 40 degrees), and it felt as soft to me as a Pro V1 in the heat of summer. Decent spin, good check.

Other's that I wouldn't have trouble playing in the cold are Bridgestone's e5/e6. Great balls at any time of year.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I got a couple of those Wilson 50 balls in the mail a couple months ago, haven't used them as of yet so no idea on how they perform in any temperature.

bassman1308

old guy
Jan 24, 2007
I keep several boxes of 'winter balls' in the house during colder months. Long & soft Noodles, laddies, pinnacle exception, top flite d2, titleist so-lo. I don't know if SOFT balls go farther but they sure feel a lot better of the clubface in cold weather.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
I've herd the new Nike Karma is a real good cool to cold weather ball. And like many other guys have said before the Wilson 50/50 sounds like a nice cold weather ball also.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Doc,

I have been playing the bridgstone e6, it seems to be keeping its distance in the cold.

Jason

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
My last round of golf it was hovering right around 40* and I was alternating between my beloved Srixon Tri speeds and Precept Laddies, the laddies felt much better off the club face and were flying farther and truer. Plus Wally-World has them right now a double box, 24 balls for like 19 bucks, can't beat that.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Been playing the D2 Feel, but as mentioned in another thread, I picked up a dozen Wilson 50/50's yesterday. Will update when I manage to get out again. Since all the courses up here are now officially closed, as opposed to the non-official snow closing a month ago, it could be a week or a month before I make the 1 1/2 to 2 hour trek south to play when the weather permits so that I can try them out.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.