• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Colder balls... Lower score!!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Took day off Friday. Beautiful for mid-November. 75 degrees F. Shot 83.

Yesterday, Saturday, stayed unseasonably warm. 78 degrees F. Shorts were the attire de jour at the course... even though the winds were extremely high. We had sustained wind of 30 mph with gusts in the mid to upper 40 mph range. Five in our group and we all struggled. Wind was moving putts on the greens. Leaves would hide a ball in the middle of the fairway. Tough to even keep your balance when addressing the ball. Of the five, and 86 was the best score. I was 11 shots worse than Friday, with one of the higest carded rounds of the season... 94.

The predicted cold front zipped through last night. We got about 3/4" rain overnight, but the temps dropped dramatically. The winds changed to the north at 10 to 12 mph. Got to the course and it was a cold 37 degrees F. Buddy and I took off, dressed in stocking hats, sweatshirts, wind jackets, and winter golf gloves. Temps continued dropping. By the time we finished our 18, it was down to 33 degrees. We were the only two on the course the entire time we played 18. Three other 'brave souls' were getting ready to head out as we finished our round. Today, too many clothes, every once in a while you'd feel a little sleet in the north wind, and I carded an 84.

Hate to see winter approaching. As the years add up, each winter seems just a tad bit colder. Just hard to understand why one doesn't get any smarter. It takes a certain level of stupidity to 'suffer' through a round of golf in the low 30's.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Hate to see winter approaching. As the years add up, each winter seems just a tad bit colder. Just hard to understand why one doesn't get any smarter. It takes a certain level of stupidity to 'suffer' through a round of golf in the low 30's.

I love Winter Golf. Links golf means the rains runs through and it is generally dry under foot. They shorten the course and sometime there are drop off areas to play from but for me, it separates the men from the boys. Time to "man up". As long as you have the right clothing, attitude and perspective it is an intriguing challenge. And the objective stays the same, get it in the hole in fewer shots than your opponent, be that a 3 or a 7!! Only time I hate is when we get put on winter greens because of the frost, it's a little frustrating. Hopefully we'll get a mild winter this year.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I actually don't mind it at all...I've played 91 consecutive months outdoors here in Iowa up untill two years ago...since the invention of under armor style clothes came out, all I needed was one of those under garments, turtle neck shirt and pullover wind shirt and I was fine.

Although now that our shop has indoor simulators, I have found it so close to being outdoors, it's just easier to use them now.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I would rather play in freezing weather than 100 degree weather. It's cheaper in the winter. You don't have to worry about slow play because the course is usually empty. I love winter golf. Now, if I could just find the time to play.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I would rather play in freezing weather than 100 degree weather. It's cheaper in the winter. You don't have to worry about slow play because the course is usually empty. I love winter golf. Now, if I could just find the time to play.
X3

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country

Not here. in the winter our population goes from 2.5 mil to aprox 4 mil and the rates double and the courses are packed.

🔥 Latest posts