• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

College Athletics

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Guys, I never said this plan was perfect. But, why would we not want to improve the caliber of our professional athletes?

As far as the numbers, these kids could take classes already offered at the college.

As far as Greg's comment regarding freshmen being chosen for this program: it's the student's decision, not the schools, just like every other degree.

Didn't know NBA and NFL had any program, Greg. Based on what I see frequently in both sports, I'm not sure it's working very well.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
So a kid decides he's going pro and you pay him while in school. What happens if he doesn't get drafted or suffers an injury during his sophomore season? Do you make him pay the money back. As to the classes the NBA and NFL mandate. You can teach a man anything, then it's up to him to be a man. I have no sympathy for someone who makes a sh1tload of money and pisses it away.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Guys, I never said this plan was perfect. But, why would we not want to improve the caliber of our professional athletes?

As far as the numbers, these kids could take classes already offered at the college.

As far as Greg's comment regarding freshmen being chosen for this program: it's the student's decision, not the schools, just like every other degree.

Didn't know NBA and NFL had any program, Greg. Based on what I see frequently in both sports, I'm not sure it's working very well.

I guess I feel like it's time and energy down the drain. I don't feel that it would teach them anything more than another degree since they're going to be taking all the gen-ed classes they would with any degree.

As far as the players that don't manage their money well, you can teach people till you're blue in the face, that doesn't mean they're going to learn.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I guess I feel like it's time and energy down the drain. I don't feel that it would teach them anything more than another degree since they're going to be taking all the gen-ed classes they would with any degree.

As far as the players that don't manage their money well, you can teach people till you're blue in the face, that doesn't mean they're going to learn.
I'm not saying they should take all the gen-ed classes. Why would an athlete need to take PE, or history, for example? They need some math and financial courses, public speaking, maybe some nutrition courses...you get the idea.

And yeah, some will still fall through the cracks. But, this would be a way to lower that number in my opinion.

🔥 Latest posts