• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

College golfers have taken over our

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
golf course for the third annual Battle of the Bend tournament. When you live sort of off the beaten track, this is a special treat. Our mens association helps by providing spotters and such. We also got to play with three players in a scramble event before the actual tournament began. Nineteen under par was the low score! Actually, a twenty-one under score was the winning score the first year of this tournament. These guys are pretty good.

Very windy conditions the first day, and only one sub-par round was turned in. Cypress Bend from the tips is a very severe challenge when there is no wind. But I think some of these young men have neglected a very important point in being able to take their driving range game to the course. The course has lots of irregular lies. I saw players on the range hit shots with all their clubs with amazing accuracy at their intended targets. On the course, some of these guys were getting in trouble off the tee, and they were not very accurate with their approach shots either. The really good players were just as comfortable with the uneven lies as with the perfect lies at the range. They obviously knew what adjustments to make for such lies, had really good balance by taking a little more club and swinging a little more easily, and the tempo was always the same. The longest and the most accurate players were the same players, and they all had the beautiful swings with that really great tempo.

If you have a college event in your area, I would strongly urge you to go out and take a look.

Cypressperch

OP
C

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
Univ. of Louisiana at Lafayette, Texas State, Nichols

State, Centenary, Central Arkansas, Missouri at Kansas City, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, McNeese State were the nine schools. Some are Division I; most are Division II. I was wrong about the individual scoring in that there were more rounds under par including a 66 and 69. Today, however, there was a 70 which was the only round below 72 which is par. There was only one 72. The best total for the three days was a tie at 218, two over and not bad. Sam Houston won the team with 887 followed by host UL of L (use to be known as Univ. of Southwestern Louisiana, or the Ragin Cajuns) at 888.

Again, it was very enjoyable to work at this event and see some pretty talented young golfers. I would also add to those young golfers serious about getting to the level where you could play college golf, leave no stone unturned. Prepare for everything, and that includes playing in bad weather. The skies were beautiful, and it was not cold. But it was WINDY, and some of these guys just could not play in the conditions. Also, play the hardest courses you can find, and for the most part, play the course at its longest possible length. This course was long, very hilly, well-bunkered, and it was very windy. It was a good recipe for disaster for quite a few. One guy shot a 90. Oh, do not forget to practice putting in windy conditions on hard, fast greens. There was a five putt on the seventeetn which is not really one of the more difficult greens, but it is right on the lake and the wind was howling.

Cypressperch

🔥 Latest posts