• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

coming back from injuries... back injury to be exact..

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
alright, so ever since i messed up my back in november, my swing never really felt the same and my back never completely healed.

went to hospital and my primary physician twice, only to get anti-inflammatory medicine and muscle relaxants with the word "rest."

didn't get any better because i can't really "rest" since i have to work, move around, shovel the GD driveway, etc...

i stopped going to the range long time ago, as well as giving up snowboarding for the time being. I've been sleeping on the floor, do the exercises my physical therapist told me to do, and stretch. yet, i couldn't go to sleep last night b/c of my back pain. my friends at work are busting my chops saying i'm getting old.

so for those who had suffered a backpain or chronic backpain, how did you get rid of it? what were the remedies? still playing golf like you used to?

maybe i am getting old...:faintthud

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
Try one or the other here. One thing i had to do was roll up a towel and put it under my lower back since i like to sleep on my back. The other is to try to sleep with a pillow under your knees. Try both and see what gives you relief if any.

Also, if you sleep on your side, put a pillow between your legs.

I hope one of these things help. I know back problems can be a real pain in the arse.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
You are getting old and you'll never get rid of it.

I've had it for 20 years. :)

Things that help.....in no particular order.....

A proper bed!
I sprung for the select comfort air bed a few years ago and it's sheer heaven as far as my back is concerned.

A Chiropractor. Can help a great deal especially when you are in so much pain any movement is difficult or impossible.

Vitamin I. Ibuprofen. I buy it in 55 gallon drums and take 1000mg (5 pills) when the back needs help relaxing. I take these before bed and wake up feeling much "looser" and am generally able to self adjust my back (crack it).

I find the ability to crack my own back is the number one thing thats saves me trips to the doctor.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Get thee to a physical therapist. And do the exercises, every day for the rest of your life. Hubby had back surgery in 1995. He runs, he golfs, he plays tennis and platform tennis. And he does those silly exercises every single morning. A whole lot better than the alternative.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
A lot of exercise helps me..year round is the trick..

saki

Jan 25, 2009
This book was written just for you "OVERCOME Neck & Back Pain - now includes Shoulder, Arm & Hand Pain" by Kit Laughlin. publishers Simon & Schuster (Australia). Unfortunately there is no easy way, now that you have soft tissue damage a scar will form over the injury and the scar will be less pliant than the surrounding soft tissue. The only way to keep the scar tissue pliant is to heat up the area through exercise (allows the blood to carry nutrients to the area) and follow up with stretching the muscles. The alternative is to risk a further injury at the edge of the scar tissue when the muscle is compromised. Set a routine to do exercises & stretching and keep to it. It will take a minimum of 8 weeks before your really notice the difference.

soxngolf

The Chick
Jul 26, 2008
I've been sleeping on the floor, do the exercises my physical therapist told me to do, and stretch. yet, i couldn't go to sleep last night b/c of my back pain.

Did your PT just give you exercises or are you seeing them a few times a week? They are going to know what is going on with you best and should have good suggestions as to the best position for you. Stopping the big instigators of your pain is important (for now), but don't forget the little things too. You have to be very aware of your body mechanics throughout the day, at work, just sitting, in your car etc. Every time you feel pain, you are irritating the injury and that means it is longer until you are pain free. You can get there, it just takes time.

ClairefromClare Get thee to a physical therapist. And do the exercises, every day for the rest of your life. Hubby had back surgery in 1995. He runs, he golfs, he plays tennis and platform tennis. And he does those silly exercises every single morning. A whole lot better than the alternative.

And listen to Claire!:D

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
thanks guys for the advices.

right now i just saw PT just once. she gave me few exercise/stretch to do while i'm resting and stuff to avoid like couch.

i've never really had a problem w/ my back, and it depresses me that i am indeed getting old... i feel for you older folks and i promise not to make fun of you slow pokes at the course again... :p

yeah, i'm gonna see my doctor again since my pain hasn't subsided yet.

oh and... i'm wearing a girdle and i do look little bit slimmer.. :D

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I hate to hear this twofast.

Sad thing is, your back will most likely never be the same. Seems once you hurt it, it never goes away.

Good news is, you learn to live with it. :D

Do what the PT therapist says and you should be fine. :thumbs up:

And growing older beats the alternative, most of the time, ;)

soxngolf

The Chick
Jul 26, 2008
thanks guys for the advices.

right now i just saw PT just once. she gave me few exercise/stretch to do while i'm resting and stuff to avoid like couch.

yeah, i'm gonna see my doctor again since my pain hasn't subsided yet.

Find another PT unless you just saw them for the first time this week and are going back consistently. If you are in that much pain, they need to be helping you deal with the pain, not sending you home with an exercise program. If the therapist can't help and you are going back to your PCP for the third time ask for a referral to a neurosurgeon or orthopedic that specializes in backs. If this is your first time with back pain there is a good chance you can get rid of it and return to all your activities. You just have to find the right people to help you, that way you can get back this season!

By the way, this is what I do for work....

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
alright, so ever since i messed up my back in november, my swing never really felt the same and my back never completely healed.

went to hospital and my primary physician twice, only to get anti-inflammatory medicine and muscle relaxants with the word "rest."

didn't get any better because i can't really "rest" since i have to work, move around, shovel the GD driveway, etc...

i stopped going to the range long time ago, as well as giving up snowboarding for the time being. I've been sleeping on the floor, do the exercises my physical therapist told me to do, and stretch. yet, i couldn't go to sleep last night b/c of my back pain. my friends at work are busting my chops saying i'm getting old.

so for those who had suffered a backpain or chronic backpain, how did you get rid of it? what were the remedies? still playing golf like you used to?

maybe i am getting old...:faintthud

I feel your pain as I'm in my mid 40's and just don't heal like I used to. On the same token I have chronic sciatic nerve issues due to herniated then ruptured disks at L4 and L5 as a kid. I have something called 'foot drop' from permanent nerve damage in my left foot and let me tell you it makes for some tough days.

Stretching has to become part of your daily ritual and I actually look forward to it b/c it feels so good. I have a half dozen great stretches I have learned from PT's and physical fitness buffs over the years, many of which you can find by googling 'back stretching and exercises'. I would also recommend strengthening up your back as well, but def get some proper instruction.

It will be hard to take, but will most likely make your game better. I went to a 3/4 backswing on all shots, even the driver. My game is as good and maybe better now b/c of the back necessitating a slightly less than full shoulder turn.

Good luck.....bad backs suck!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
You are getting old and you'll never get rid of it.

I've had it for 20 years. :)

Things that help.....in no particular order.....

A proper bed!
I sprung for the select comfort air bed a few years ago and it's sheer heaven as far as my back is concerned.

A Chiropractor. Can help a great deal especially when you are in so much pain any movement is difficult or impossible.

Vitamin I. Ibuprofen. I buy it in 55 gallon drums and take 1000mg (5 pills) when the back needs help relaxing. I take these before bed and wake up feeling much "looser" and am generally able to self adjust my back (crack it).

I find the ability to crack my own back is the number one thing thats saves me trips to the doctor.

Sling

You sure we aren't related Sling? :D This is EXACTLY what I've found to work after 30 years dealing with ankylosing spondilitus. (Look it up if you really want to know). I also was on Indocin (which screwed up my hearing) but the worst is over.

🔥 Latest posts