• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Complete rip off

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
Membership at the muni is about 600. 14 for a cart per round. If I avg 2 per week...104 rounds. 1456 for cart plus 600. 2k. Range balls etc. EXTRA. I need to find a flatter course or buy my own cart because they allow that kinda thing.

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
I guess I missed where your rates were going up. I get they changed when the year began and ended, but is it not still $1100? So you can still play 170 rounds for $6.50 per right?
Well, the woman I was talking about kept pushing for a raise in price this year. Apparently she didnt get her way because all the other pros at the other city courses told the folks in charge that it was a bad idea. This woman is ONLY thinking about HER course and how she is inconvenienced. Shes not thinking big picture and the reality that $200,000 or more might be walking out the door for the muni courses as a whole.
I think the other pros made it pretty clear that it wasnt worth the risk of losing so many paying customers.
Actually when they raised it to $1100 this year Im sure they lost a number of people who were regular members last year. I had talked to a few last year and they told me if it went up they were gone and I havent even seen them on the city courses this year at all, so proving my point from before, they'll just go elsewhere.
The problem is that there are a LOT of public courses here..a LOT. Ihad no clue how many golf courses there were within 30 minutes of my place here until earlier this year. A LOT :D
So we have too much competition here for a city course to just keep jacking up membership prices. WE'll just go elsewhere or we'll stop playing so much golf.

Like I said before, my golf budget is $100 a month. If I have to pay for individual rounds Im going to play other courses too, like Upperlandsdowne and Split Rock. They'll get the bulk of my golf money for 4 rounds a month instead of the city courses. That just doesnt seem like a good thing for the city courses...know what I mean?

It would be different if there was no competition here.

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Membership at the muni is about 600. 14 for a cart per round. If I avg 2 per week...104 rounds. 1456 for cart plus 600. 2k. Range balls etc. EXTRA. I need to find a flatter course or buy my own cart because they allow that kinda thing.
We have a course down the road here (National Trail) that is $675 for the year and the guy told me that is the price right now.
Why would I go above $1100 for the muni courses when I can drive 5 more minutes and pay just over half of that?

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Here in Phoenix it's $50 a year for a city card that is good for discounted rates and longer advance for tee times at all 5 city courses.
Are you yanking my chain ? :D
$50 a year???

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
You miss my point. The only reason to buy he membership is unlimited play. I get that. What your saying is the only reason you play is because if the great deal you get cost wise per round and if you can't have that deal you won't play anymore?

If you think a club doesn't have overhead to cover your wrong.

I think that also what you may be missing is that cities costs are rising and they need to be covered. If they raise prices and lose a few members, my guess is that that is a choice they are willing to live with.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
We have a course down the road here (National Trail) that is $675 for the year and the guy told me that is the price right now.
Why would I go above $1100 for the muni courses when I can drive 5 more minutes and pay just over half of that?
Why did you? Why didn't you join there before now?

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
You miss my point. The only reason to buy he membership is unlimited play. I get that.
No...it wasnt. That IS my point.
I bought the pass for ONE reason...that paying it off in equal monthly payments allowed me to control how much I was spending....$100 a month.
I played more because I COULD...not because that was the reason to buy the pass.
If it costs more, I simply dont play that much.

What your saying is the only reason you play is because if the great deal you get cost wise per round and if you can't have that deal you won't play anymore?
The unlimited part wasnt MY idea.
The pass allowed me to pay out for the YEAR what I wanted to spend for a year and not have to think about it...whether it was 60 rounds for the year...or 170.
It was the PRICE that caused me to buy the pass, not the fact that I got unlimited golf.
If they had said this was for so many rounds of golf for the year at a slightly reduced price...ie I could play two or three rounds a week, for instance, Id have snapped it up just as quickly as it being unlimited. It was strictly about controlling how much I was spending per month.

If you think a club doesn't have overhead to cover your wrong.
Jim, I own my own business and have for decades. I know what overhead is.
I also know that a product is not the same as someone walking around in the grass whacking balls who got shoved in with three other chaps who paid full price. :)

I think that also what you may be missing is that cities costs are rising and they need to be covered. If they raise prices and lose a few members, my guess is that that is a choice they are willing to live with.
What I know factually is what Ive stated. They stand to LOSE a great portion of about $240,000 per year. Most of the pros at the other courses grasped the idea that losing paying customers who werent buying a product, but who were simply whacking balls they bought themselves with clubs they bought themselves wasnt a good idea.

The grass still has to be cut whether we play there or not. It doesnt grow any faster when we're there or if we're gone. The other pros understood this, but the one woman doesnt seem to get it.
:)

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
They are gonna miss you Will.
:D
Actually Greg, the main guy at the course I play most of the time, has been pushing me to buy the pass as soon as it goes on sale. He is one who understands that these memberships are money in the bank, unlike the guys who just make a tee time at some random time on Saturday morning who may or may not actually show up.
With members we PAID our money in full, up front...its in the bank.
It doesnt matter if we dont show because they already cashed the check.
Greg has made it very clear, well him and a couple other pros at other city courses, that the members ARE needed to keep the bills paid.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I guess at this point I'm not clear what your issue is actually.

This is what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong:

The price didn't go up
You still have unlimited play
The membership year changed, causing you to in essence lose 3 months next year

Are you asking if you should join the same club or look for something else? All I am saying is that I can understand things have to change sometimes.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
It's 6 courses, I forgot about a little 9 holer. To give you an idea of savings the rates for card holders Jan 1 - April 6th on weekend mornings is $31 ($29 mon-thu). Non cardholder rate is $43. These are walking rates. Plus you can make tee times 9 days in advance instead of 7.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
It's 6 courses, I forgot about a little 9 holer. To give you an idea of savings the rates for card holders Jan 1 - April 6th on weekend mornings is $31 ($29 mon-thu). Non cardholder rate is $43. These are walking rates. Plus you can make tee times 9 days in advance instead of 7.
We have something like that but it covers the majority I the courses in VT. Pay a fee, get the discount card. Some of the discounts are pretty good too!

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
I guess at this point I'm not clear what your issue is actually.

This is what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong:

The price didn't go up
You still have unlimited play
The membership year changed, causing you to in essence lose 3 months next year

Are you asking if you should join the same club or look for something else? All I am saying is that I can understand things have to change sometimes.
Sorry :D
It was the ripping us for three months.
The new passes overlap the ones we have by three months which means I have to buy a pass next year that will technically only cover 9 months Im not covered for already (jan - mar) but the price is still the same. Just one way to short us because the guys at the courses said there was no reason for them to change the membership dates, and the woman in question made it clear it was 'financial' in nature...then she shut up real quick as if she'd said too much or something.
:)

🔥 Latest posts