• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Component Clubs

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I'm somewhat in the market for new irons, a cross between full fledged CB's and blades, something with forgiveness, yet workability

thing is with clubs, i usually don't sell them when i'm done just b/c my parents don't want me to, and if i'm not gonna get anything more out of them, then why pay for the OEM name which really only helps in resale, why not go for clones/component clubs which i hear are just as good and only cheaper without the brand name. you get exactly what YOU want, and you can get them custom fit for YOU, for less than buying OEM clubs off the rack

can anyone recommend good component companies and or informational sights about this, or just throw in their knowledge/experiences. i wasn't really looking into clubmaking but if anyone convinces me enough i just might

thanks as always

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Step 1. Go to My thread in Swap Shop

Step 2. Click on the Link to My list

Step 3. Buy my Precept tour Premiums

Step 4. Enjoy

Repeat as necessary, changing Step 3 to any other set of irons that catches your fancy

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
oh, and if you still want components, don't get clones. Buy something like Snake Eyes 600c's, or Maltby MO-4's, or something, just dont get Hireko's or anything cheap like that, they spec all over the place, no quality control

dtessier

Jul 26, 2005
I've been extremely happy with my KZG irons. I have the OC-x1's, which are the most forgiving, but their iron sets cover pretty much the whole range. Their Evolution irons might be of interest, they go from no cavity (blade) in the pitching wedge all the way to a mid-size cavity in the long irons. And they're not clones of anything, they do their own R&D.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Just a warning YG, if you get custom made high end components with quality parts, you can end up spending just as much as on OEM. KZG, Wishon, Nakashima, etc., make clubs that are as haigh quality as the big boys, and sometimes have better quality control. However, they can cost just about as much, and their resale value is terrible compared to other brands. I buy all my stuff used to prevent the resale issue, and there are great deals to be had on eBay, so if you're looking for cheap clubs, get some off ebay then have them fitted. They're used once you hit them once anyway

GoFlyers

Dec 18, 2004
KZG are fantastic clubs but they are the same $ as OEM's. The Golfsmith/Snake Eyes and Maltby's are good clubs that you can have made at 1/2 the price. The Wishon line is also very good but I am not sure about price.
As was said above, stay away from the clone/look alike clubs. Quality is really bad and you could and up with a 3 iron the same loft as your 4 iron and swingweights all over the map.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Forget about Wishon.

He's an elitist and won't sell you so much as a golf towel without you passing his "clubmaker test"

You have to buy his clubs from another elitest clubmaker or lie like hell on the application.

I hate that.

Don

Aug 23, 2005
I have built irons that I have purchased from www.csggolf.com, and I have been quite happy with all the components they sell. I have a set of the Leyland LX2 irons, which are real nice, but you can't work the ball with them. Check out their other designs that are more workable and I think you will find something you will be happy with. I also have a set of SnakeEyes, 600C and 600XC irons that I am quite happy with. I have the more foregiving XC's in the longer irons, and the C's in the shorter irons. Both are quite workable and have enough foregiveness for a 10 to 15 handicap golfer.

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
the money set:
Snake eyes 600c 4-pw Rifle 6.5 shafts golfpride tour velvet grips, then i'll take them to my fitter guy after i put them together and walla

thoughts?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I say you save a few bucks for some French lessons.

Walla? Try "Voila!" :D

R35

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i hate french people, no offense to any here though

i'm practically bilingual in spanish anyway...

ok, realistically, what tools are needed to start clubmaking?

i think YG may have just found himself a new hobby....
(excuse the third person talk)

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Well, you can either cut and glue, in which case you need a tubing cutter(for steel only), epoxy, and a quarter of a brain. If you want to start clubfitting, you may want a shaft puller, loft and lie machine, etc. But learn how to slap together clubs and regrip and you'll be all set.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Here's my supplies that I needed to re-shaft my irons:

A vice with soft jaws

A heat gun or a mini torch. If you use the torch, you'll need Blue Away, which seemed like a pain in the ass to me.

Nail polish remover (the kind with Acetone. Check the label, it'll tell you. Go for the decent smelling stuff too)

Sand paper strips or a sanding block

Epoxy

Ferrules

some towels

Tape Measure

Patience

Re-shafting was easier than I expected. I did alot of research before hand and made myself a list of "do's" and "don't do's". That made all the difference.

I'm going to try a driver or some fairway woods next. Then, i may attempt a bore thru. Apparently, if you can do that, you can do anything.

If it helps, Golfsmith has an area that shows videos of how to do just about every step with any club from a putter to a driver. Just FYI.

And grips are dead simple. So simple, I have no idea why anyone wouldn't do it themselves.

R35

🔥 Latest posts