• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Component Player's CBs

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'm swinging pretty well with my bigger CBs, so I want to try something a little tighter with more workability. Also don't want to spend too much, as always...

Looking for a player's CB set with minimal offset. I asked MGP to show me some pictures of his P2's at address, but I also had a glance at the Wishon 550 series. Could even go blade on the short irons there and get myself a combo set if I felt the need.

Any other pictures or suggestions?

The shafts I want to try are by FST. Recommended by a very knowledgable board member :canadafla. Any other opinions on FST?

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
I hate ping irons... nothing forged.. However I did just hit my friends Ping G10 3wood, and that thing FLYS off the face

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Wishon has a new series, the 555's out this year. I guess they have the same tour grind that he made for Stewart or some-such.

Tom Wishon Golf Technology

BUT, if you are saying FOR CHEAP, I can't really point you anywhere but to the GS P2's. $11 a clubhead (used to be $10) with minimal offset and a decent topline. I may eventually get around to trying a half-set of them (7-PW).

A new, semi-inexpensive, design from Wishon are the 705w2's.

Tom Wishon Golf Technology

They are cast and have 1mm more offset than the P2's. What is nice is that these have a weight port out on the toe in addition to the weight port in the hosel. Not that you'd use it, but it is there for some additional weight if you don't like the look of lead tape.

Those 555's are pretty though.

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
The 555's are pretty nice. Where do I find the cost of these different heads? Must I really sign up as a customer on there? Who knows what Tom Wishon will do once he knows who I am...

Nobody has mentioned anything Maltby. Not too impressive with their irons over there?

Augster- Comparing the GS P2s and the 555's, ignoring costs, can you describe their relative offsets? Like, which has more/less? There's no GolfSmith near me to go see this stuff in person, I don't think.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
SUX, PM sent.

One thing you may want to do is buy a P2 6i or 7i (or whatever your favorite iron is), a FST shaft and your favorite grip and put together a test club. You can do that for cheap and see if you really like the P2's or not. I built the wedges first (since I wanted to try some different wedges anyway) and loved them so I got a 7i head and built it too. I liked it and got the full set of irons.

Last year I demo'd dozens of irons all over the price spectrum from $250/set to over $1500. Of all the clubs I hit I still like the P2's the best. The only other ones that ran close were the Adams Idea Pro Forged but they were going to run me about $1000-1100 for a full set new and I really didn't want to pay that much for a set of irons.

I think I spent a total of about $180 on the 3i-PW set which is an incredible bargain for really solid irons.

Edit: I just checked the Wishon and Golfsmith sites for head specs. The Wishon 555's have .5mm less offset in the 3 and 4 irons, but all the 5i-PW are identical to the Golfsmith P2's.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You looking new?

Nakashima. Just outstanding. And go well with FST's, if I'm not mistaken....:laugh:

Have a look: Nakashima NP-2 CB Irons, new for 2008

If you like these things, let me know. I have connections. :D

Here's some pics of the NP-1's, in hand. The one shows the NP-1 against a Mizuno MP-30. ANd the FST's. ;)

R35

4180d1184643785-nakashima-np1-tour-forged-irons-fst-pro-white-shafts-img_0554.jpg

30vsPWNak2.jpg
IMG_0559.jpg

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Aren't the Naks expensive, Rock? I work part time and go to college. Despite how much I'd like to spend all my money on new irons, I gotta make sure i've exhausted all other facets of my life first :) Shouldn't be long!

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Would really like to stay under 200$ for the heads. There's a little wiggle room depending on how attractive the heads are, of course.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Do they have to be component? I may soon be the owner of a set of Titleist 690 CB's. Would that do?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Pretty worthless now they have been wrecked with all the paintfill gone, yuk, coh, tst.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
How about a set of Bridgestone J33's? I reshafted (and swingweighted) the 6-PW with Rifle 5.0 Flighted, the 3-5 are still on the original TT DG S300 shafts. Whole shebang for $200 + shipping. I like them but I have my eyes on another set.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online