• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Component Wedge Heads

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Im going to start my club making attempt with a few wedges. I figure if I do a terrible job I can give them to my wife.

Any suggestions with brands out there? Also what shafts do you play in your wedges? Ive never really gave it much thought I looked at my rac TP shafts and they are dynamic golf wedge flex. Is that a mainstay in wedges or should I try something cheaper then build a nice wedge with a rifle spinner.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Im going to start my club making attempt with a few wedges. I figure if I do a terrible job I can give them to my wife.

:biglol:

Any suggestions with brands out there? Also what shafts do you play in your wedges? Ive never really gave it much thought I looked at my rac TP shafts and they are dynamic golf wedge flex. Is that a mainstay in wedges or should I try something cheaper then build a nice wedge with a rifle spinner.

Building clubs from peices is very, very easy. If you're just concerned about getting a wedge together to try, buy a shaft, a head and the supplies and post some pictures. It's really that easy.

If you like the feel of your current wedges, then stick with that type of shaft. If you want something with a bit higher ball flight, go with a Rifle. If you want to save some money, go with an FST shaft.

For heads, I'm incredibly biased with Nakashima. Not only are they gourgeous, but they flat out perform.

If you're interested in trying one out, let me know, I'll put you on to my guy.

There are loads of good options out there and 100 guys to give you their opinions on each one. This is mine. :)

R35

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I think the Spinner shafts are basically regular shafts tipped like an 8 iron - you can use any shaft you'd like
I'm a fan of the Wishon CX Micro I have, but most of the component wedges are fine.
Just pick a sole design that matches your game and course conditions.
if you can't get out of the sand, try high bounce or wide sole
if you hit a lot of shots of hardpan or short grass, try low bounce angle or thin sole

if sand is soft/fluffy go high bounce or wide sole
if sand is hard go low bounce

if you hit down on the ball and take a divot, high bounce is often better
if you have more of a sweeping move on the ball, low bounce is often better

if you open the wedge up alot, you probably don't want one with a really wide sole
if you play in bermuda grass or other "grabby" grasses, bounce is your friend

good luck

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Nice info. thanks guys. I just ordered.....Golfsmith.com: Clubmaker Oh yeah with a Rifle spinner shaft. Ive always wanted to try the rifle brand so I figured why not.

I got the 60 higher bounce. Once I get and put it together Ill throw some pics up.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
It'll be the best feeling club you've ever swung. I stuck an SMT Durometer Series 59° on a Rifle Spinner shaft and that's the sweetest club in the world. In reality it may be a total turd - but because I put it together, it feels like magic on a stick to me :laugh:

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
It'll be the best feeling club you've ever swung. I stuck an SMT Durometer Series 59° on a Rifle Spinner shaft and that's the sweetest club in the world. In reality it may be a total turd - but because I put it together, it feels like magic on a stick to me :laugh:

That is exactly what Im looking for. It will probably be a terrible piece of metal with epoxy everywhere but maybe Ill feel like Roy Hobbs in The Natural.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
Thats a pretty sweet looking wedge ur getting there... Dont have a clue how it plays, but at least it will look good

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I bought some wedges to get some what of an idea of how to put a club together. It was a learning experience with my grandpa.

We bought 2 Professional Open heads from Cosmo Golf and some shafts. Put em together and they feel really good. It's fun to put them together and see how good they feel.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Sounds like fun. i had the same idea, but I had these in mind: Maltby Milled Wedge Heads

These are what I was thinking. I saw them in the catalogue and they look REALLY sweet. I kinda wanna build a set with some spinners, but I don't need them.

But then again, golf is a game of want, not need. Who needs to club a tiny ball around a field?

But we all want to :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.