• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Computer geeks?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Strange thing happening with my laptop. I've put up with this because I don't use it much but my desktop monitor crapped out so I'd like to fix this.

When I'm on the internet, any browser, or using power point the backround of the page is missing. Everything is white. Actually it's more like clear. If I scroll over a headline on yahoo news I see the type of the preview and type under it.

With power point I can change the view and get the color backround back but I have to do it every time I open it. It will not save that setting.

Thanks.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Strange. First, what version of windows? Second, if you drag something accross the blank part, do you see trails? Lastly, what kind of Graphics card (how dated)?

On first guess I would say it is a Graphics card issue. Have you updated the Drivers for the Graphics card lately? That would be my first guess to fix the problem.

edit 1 - also do you get many (any) Blue Screens of Death?

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
It's XP. Just bought it in January so everything should be pretty up to date.

No trails dragging something.

Luckily, I have no idea what a blue screen of death is.

Never seen anything like on other computers.

kow_ciller

Master of the 3-putt
Mar 3, 2005
bsod.jpg

Thats an example of a BSOD

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I would still check the date on the Graphics card driver. A new PC may have been shipped with older drivers. Go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Display Adapters>Right click on the device and select properties>driver> look at the date. With windows updates and such, it still could be the issue.

For example, on the ATI card I own that is about 3 years old, they have done 2 driver updates just since the first of the year I believe. It will only take about 5 minutes to update. Check their website and compare it to the current driver date.

Did this happen from the time you first got the PC or did it start afterwards?

Also, does it happen all the time, even when you first boot up, or does it happen later. If it just happens later you may want to disable any power save settings and screen savers until you figure it out. Also maybe use a default windows wallpapper. Still seems like some kind of memory allocation issue, and my first guess would be on the graphics card.

Maybe lower your resolution down as well to see if that fixes it. 1280x1024 for a 4x3 monitor, or similar setting for widescreen should be low enough to know if that is part of it. And make sure you are using one that matches your current monitor.

Edit 1 - not saying to keep these settings, but just to figure it out.

Edit2 - also you said you changed monitors, did you change the setting in the control panel to reflect the new monitor (the one on your laptop may be Wide Screen and the Monitor on the Laptop 4x3 or visa~versa)? or remove the old one?

edit 3 also make sure the font size on the appearance tab is set to normal.

and try it on powerpoint in safe mode.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
One more thing that came to mind. Go to the advanced tab in the display settings and make sure you have the correct refresh rate for the monitor. Just click on the "Hide modes the monitor cannot display" and apply the settings if need be. It may be using the refresh rate for the old monitor. Actually, that could be part of the reason the old one may burn out. Not sure what yours should be, but probably 60 hertz???? Make sure you check if there is more than one option.

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I didn't change monitors, I'm just waiting on a new one for my desktop.

I do remember messing with some settings after I bought it. I don't even remember why now. That's helpful huh?

Whatever I did changed the desktop but I was able to get it almost back to where it was. Now the only thing that's different is the icon names are highlighted in blue. I'm going to get rid of the picture I'm using for a desktop backround and see what it does.

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Well I'm screwed. Tried every suggestion and nothing worked. I still have no backround color on sites or powerpoint. Except that I can add backround color to PP manually when I open it.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I can't help but think that you either have and issue with the graphics card or need to do a reinstall/repair on windows for corrupted files. My reasoning behind this is likely because the issues you mention are the same things you will see if explorer were to crash out. To see what I am talking about do a ctrl+alt+del and stop the explorer process when it is running ok, it will cause the same problems.

In explorer, I am refering to windows explorer process and not internet explorer, however I would also ask if you updated to IE 7.0 after you recieved the laptop. Which could be the problem, where you may try and uninstall and or reinstall IE first.

I am maybe leaning more toward a explorer problem now, as I think the problems would be more apparent in other things if it were the GPU.

Hard to say.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
BTW, in "Background", I assume you mean the tool bars and such, and not just the screen?

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
BTW, in "Background", I assume you mean the tool bars and such, and not just the screen?

It's the actual backround color on pages. Other than the top of this site where the header is, everything else is white. Other than the type of course. I can still see and use all of the functions.

I think it's really transparent. If you've ever used Yahoo news you know you can put your cursor over a headline and see a little of the story. When I do that on this computer I can see the preview and still see the type under it.

It's like if you were creating a document in publisher and chose none as a backround color for a text box. I've been messing with the control panel but can't find anything to change it.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
O.K.
One other thought with that in mind, and just grasping at simple straws here.
Goto Control Panel>accessibility Options>Display Tab
Make sure the Use High Contrast is not checked. If it is uncheck it and hit apply then test to see if it fixed it.

Or just for $hits and giggles if that didn't work, if it is unchecked Check it, apply, then test. Then go back to unchecked.

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
O.K.
Make sure the Use High Contrast is not checked.

Holy crap that worked! I guess is wasn't anything I did after all.

Thanks so much because I would have never figured that out. :thumbs up:

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
O.K.
Make sure the Use High Contrast is not checked. If it is uncheck it and hit apply then test to see if it fixed it.

Or just for $hits and giggles if that didn't work, if it is unchecked Check it, apply, then test. Then go back to unchecked.

That makes sense - nice work...you looking for a job?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Holy crap that worked! I guess is wasn't anything I did after all.

Thanks so much because I would have never figured that out. :thumbs up:
Glad to help :)

That makes sense - nice work...you looking for a job?
That might get in the way of my golf game! ;) I only wish I incorporate 1/2 the things I know about golf into my game and that it came as natural as the IT field. Actually I am getting ready to start my own venture combining the two, now that I am in a position to do so. Need somewhere to unload all the clutter in my head. :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts