• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Computer Guys, need your input...

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
UPDATE:

There is a couple hundred dollar difference here. The changes:
1. Went to Windows 8 instead of Windows 7, apparently 8 is much more efficient on the APU than 7. +$10
2. Went to a slightly slower(about 5% slower in benchmarks, probably not noticeable for typical user) processor, but it's 25% cheaper...So the price/performance ratio is fantastic
3. Added a very nice 23" monitor from Asus, could get a cheaper monitor +$140
4. Added a budget level Logitech mouse/keyboard combo(un-needed if you already have one) +$40
5. Added an Asus DVD writer +$20

So this is a $702 total ready to go system.

Jim...I like putting together parts lists and if you couldn't tell, I'm pretty excited about you possibly building one. The only thing that's lacking is possibly the case, and if you think you might throw a dedicated video card into the system at any time in the future we should jump to a 400 or 450 watt power supply. Other than that...i'm seriously considering building this one myself for the family to keep them off my development machine once I build it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Asus A88XM-A Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Mwave)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit - OEM (64-bit) ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Logitech MK120-TAA Wired Standard Keyboard w/Laser Mouse ($41.70 @ Adorama)
Total: $702.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-02 09:26 EST-0500)

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
If you don't mind having a PC desktop forever, building one is the best way to go. There are cheaper options, granted, but when you pick your own components, and mix and match, you know you are only picking quality components. The kind that lasts, literally, almost forever.

The first PC I built, with a 1GHz Thunderbird, the PSU finally crapped out on my dad. When was the T-Bird released? 13 years ago? That's a pretty good life for a PSU. And my dad just pitched the computer and bought a Dell without telling me. I'd have gladly put a new PSU in just for the nostalgia.

Up your budget a bit and get an SSD. The boot and shutdown times are awesome and you no longer have to defrag your disk. You can get a standard hard drive for backup as a second drive. I've built a couple of computers now with the NZXT Elite 210 mid-tower. Easy build with lots of fans and room for more. Just throwing that out.

And if you have a Microcenter nearby, they beat any online retailer for Mobo/CPU combo. Even after tax. It's insane.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks for the info guys. Thinking I will be doing this closer to spring so will keep all posted!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
If you don't mind having a PC desktop forever, building one is the best way to go. There are cheaper options, granted, but when you pick your own components, and mix and match, you know you are only picking quality components. The kind that lasts, literally, almost forever.

The first PC I built, with a 1GHz Thunderbird, the PSU finally crapped out on my dad. When was the T-Bird released? 13 years ago? That's a pretty good life for a PSU. And my dad just pitched the computer and bought a Dell without telling me. I'd have gladly put a new PSU in just for the nostalgia.

Up your budget a bit and get an SSD. The boot and shutdown times are awesome and you no longer have to defrag your disk. You can get a standard hard drive for backup as a second drive. I've built a couple of computers now with the NZXT Elite 210 mid-tower. Easy build with lots of fans and room for more. Just throwing that out.

And if you have a Microcenter nearby, they beat any online retailer for Mobo/CPU combo. Even after tax. It's insane.

Absolutely agree about the SSD. I can't wait till the prices on those come down and makes it feasible to have a TB of flash storage. The samsung EVO's have 1tb capacities...but prices are up there.

I'm not a huge fan of NZXT because of all the plastic, they are good cases though. I like Lian Li, Fractal Design(some plastic), Corsair, and some of the CoolerMaster cases.

🔥 Latest posts