• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Computer Nerds - XP Wipeout?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
My GF has a older computer with XP and a pentium 4 processor, so not all that old I guess. I'm looking to wipe out the hard drive but keep the operating system intact. The computer is a mess so I'd imagine I'd have to get into that basic mode at startup with only essentials running. I'm really not sure where to start with XP. I've done several computers by just putting in a new hard drive and installing Windows 98. I have a copy of that with the key, or should I say I have it with the key, not really a "copy". If it's too much of a pain to save XP I might as well just try to wipe it clean. I'm more familiar with 98 and can do a lot more manually with it. I had it down to under a half hour to get 98 and Office professional back up and running from a total harddrive wipe.

So, any suggestions on what to do with it? Where to start?

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
You need to get your ass to the golf course - it sounds like you have too many problems when you're sitting at home.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
So you don't have a copy of XP to do a fresh install with? That's really the best route. If you tried to just delete everything off the hard drive and keep the OS there the way it is, it's almost definitely going to run like shit still.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
You say "keep the operating system Intact". If you are not doing a fresh install with format of the drive you are likely wasting your time on really accomplishing anything as far as speeding up the system. If you simply mean Doing a fresh install with format, you simply pop the CD in, reboot the system, and the setup comes up. You then have the option to install or format and install. If it is an upgrade XP version it will ask for the XP key, then the disk for 98 and key. If it is a full install copy, you just need the XP disk and the key for xp.

Personally I try and do a full wipe and fresh install about every year or two. If that is not my intent I just leave it alone and deal with the pain.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
So you don't have a copy of XP to do a fresh install with? That's really the best route. If you tried to just delete everything off the hard drive and keep the OS there the way it is, it's almost definitely going to run like shit still.

No, no XP. I have Windows 98 though, which I actually prefer but obviously some programs won't be compatible. It's not our main computer anyway, the laptop is. Plus I sort of figured if she wants to mess around with her music and crap and screws it all up again, I can just wipe it out and start over again. I had a Gateway I got from a local college, they were throwing them out and the HD's were drilled. I put an 80G in there with 98 and probably clean wiped it once a month. Plus I knew what what "supposed" to be there and could get rid of anything running that wasn't.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
No, no XP. I have Windows 98 though, which I actually prefer but obviously some programs won't be compatible. It's not our main computer anyway, the laptop is. Plus I sort of figured if she wants to mess around with her music and crap and screws it all up again, I can just wipe it out and start over again. I had a Gateway I got from a local college, they were throwing them out and the HD's were drilled. I put an 80G in there with 98 and probably clean wiped it once a month. Plus I knew what what "supposed" to be there and could get rid of anything running that wasn't.

Yeah I'd say you're SOL then. Installing 98 or finding a copy of XP or Vista only options I see as far as improving performance.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
I've heard of people with pre-installed OS whose computers crashed and they couldn't re-install because the computer didn't come with an OS disc.

So they downloaded a copy from a torrent site to another computer, burned it to a CD, and re-installed that way.

I'm pretty sure that's technically illegal though. :emot-ange

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've heard of people with pre-installed OS whose computers crashed and they couldn't re-install because the computer didn't come with an OS disc.

So they downloaded a copy from a torrent site to another computer, burned it to a CD, and re-installed that way.

Won't work without the code. Microsoft got "smarter" with XP so it's not as easy. If I'm not mistaken, XP is a one shot deal now. Code only only works one time so it can't be installed on multiple computers. I've used the same 98 disc and key probably 20 times. Not to mention those same "torrent sites" are the reason the computer is trashed to begin with. I've got enough problems with the laptop already. Got some GD popup program that's stuck somewhere in my HD. I've tried to hunt it down a few times but I think it's attached to system program/file.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country

... and probably the reason they Microsoft now uses other anti-piracy protection, and you can now download the Vista disk (which is the same disk for all 4 versions) as long as you have the Key at the time of install.

I guess they figured why only piss off the legal users:prop:

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
If I'm not mistaken, XP is a one shot deal now. Code only only works one time so it can't be installed on multiple computers.
It will work multiple times, just not on different computers usually. Depend on the method of the key, some OEM versions only work on the original Harddrive. It will actually work for multiple computers, but because the license is for the computer and not the disk, you will run into issues if you install on another pc once you start doing upgrades from the site.

You can format and install to the licensed PC as much as you wish, assume the OEM sent an install disk. You didn't get some sort of restore disk did you? It usually will contain a copy.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
The folks I know didn't have any problem. Other than the fact that they can't get updates using the Windows Genuine Validation tool (or whatever that thing is called.)

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It will work multiple times, just not on different computers usually. Depend on the method of the key, some OEM versions only work on the original Harddrive. It will actually work for multiple computers, but because the license is for the computer and not the disk, you will run into issues if you install on another pc once you start doing upgrades from the site.

You can format and install to the licensed PC as much as you wish, assume the OEM sent an install disk. You didn't get some sort of restore disk did you? It usually will contain a copy.

I don't think so. I'll ask her but she got it like 5yrs. ago.

🔥 Latest posts