• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Computer ugrade recomendations?

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Ok I just shelled out £500 on a new dell computer it is good, has a pentium 4 processor etc.. but the graphics card isn't the best , as I want to use it for gaming I think I need a more powerful card. I also think it needs a little more memory so i'm going to get some memory as well. Can anyone recommend good memory and graphics car for reasonable prices what size etc are compatible for gaming?

Regards.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I just got a new PC too, 200Gb hard drive, 4 GHz processor (multi threader whatever that means) and 1024 gigabytes of RAM. However it still runs like a wounded tortoise when I use Autocad so I will be interested if the technically minded amongst you could advise me too please.

PS: Sorry for jumping on you thread here mate.
icon12.gif

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
First of all, you need to check what kind of free slots your computer has and what kind of video cards it will support.

OP
T

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Firstly thanks RF35 I will take a look into that site, though I think www.crucial.com does great deals, a site I just disvcovered.

SDMV- The computer specs are:

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533Mhz FSB, 1MB cache)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
512MB Dual Channel DDR400 (2x256MB)
80GB (7,200rpm) Hard Drive
48X DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics

If thats any help

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533Mhz FSB, 1MB cache)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
512MB Dual Channel DDR400 (2x256MB)
80GB (7,200rpm) Hard Drive
48X DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics

OK, what you need to know is the brand of the motherboard, the model number of the motherboard, whether or not you have an AGP slot(or just PCI slots), the speed capabilities of the AGP slot (2X, 4X, 8X).

Then, if and when you install the AGP card, be sure to disable the integrated Intel Extreme Graphics.

I use a Radeon 9600 Pro in my home computer, but it's a few years old.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I would probably recommend sticking with ATI or nVidia if you can find one in your price range. They are probably the best on updating the drivers.

As far as memory, just get what matches your current memory. Check out your computer manual to see if you need to buy one card or multiple. Most anymore allow 1 card. However, you may not use the second card, if you do you want to drop it to the second slot if it is slower or smaller in size. Personally I would either get one equal or get rid of the current all together.

edit 1 - responded before seeing your last one. On the memory, unless you have 3-4 memory slots, you're going to have to start from scratch to upgrade, and scrap the old ones. If you have 3-4 slots, just buy 256MB Dual Channel DDR400 to fill the additional slots if it will give you what you want. I would go with at minimal 1024 all together, 2048 if it fits your budget.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
TM:
I teach this graphics shit. A GeForce 6800 is the equivalent of a 905T. Don't F*** around with pretenders.

OP
T

The master

Oct 24, 2004
wirehair said:
TM:
I teach this graphics shit. A GeForce 6800 is the equivalent of a 905T. Don't F*** around with pretenders.

Cool, how much would that cost?

I wont be heavy gaming just the odd game of call of duty and TW06?

What would you recommend?

OP
T

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Rockford35 said:
There's a few for sale in the UK on E-bay.....just FYI.

R35

Thanks rock im going to look now I have £250 to piss away on stuff I *want* anyway.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
The master said:
now I have £250 to piss away on stuff I *want* anyway.

Never mind what you want! Ante up on your debts.

For starters you can buy me the effing Turkey you OWE me and don't piss on it. That will leave me nothing to do on Christmas day!

OP
T

The master

Oct 24, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Never mind what you want! Ante up on your debts.

For starters you can buy me the effing Turkey you OWE me and don't piss on it. That will leave me nothing to do on Christmas day!

I suppose you want me to fist it as well?

Ok I will post you a 30 lb turkey!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.