• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Con-man of the decade, Scotty Cameron

hypergolf

Mar 6, 2007
Scotty Cameron, the con-man, referred me to his writing on his website when i wanted a 350g Studio Style head on a 34" putter shaft.

"Through our Studio findings we have determined the optimal relationship between shaft length, head weight and shaft flex.

So, if you shorten your putter you will lose head weight and shaft flex. Conversely, if you lengthen your putter you will increase head swing weight and shaft flex. This will affect performance in many different areas, aim, path, ball performance and even sound and feel of the putter.

Length of the putter dictates what head weight should be used. We know that length determines lie, lie determines path, which determines eye position, which determines aim. Length and weight also effects shaft flex, sound, tempo and timing.

If a putter is too heavy it affects transition, tempo and timing. If a putter is too light, it also affects transition, tempo and timing.

Simply put, we build putters that perform."

Now he comes up with Studio Select?? What a hypocrite! I always knew he was so overrated and used his name to sell putters but this one is disappointing. By the way, I put a shaft extension onto my 350g Studio Style (less than $5) and it is working better than ever.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
The Select makes sense if you read his comment. There is an optimal relationship between head weight and length, therefore, he makes the same putter head and then uses the weights to get the total head weight to a specific measurement that relates to the length of the finished putter. The inch putters have lighter weights installed, the 34 inch putters have the middle weights installed, and the shorter putters have the heavier weights installed. He did the same thing with the Red X putters, having different head weights for each length.

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
i used one today at the shop and it may be in the bag soon. well not that one but a 360g 35" one. it felt just a little different then mine in a good way.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
This is genius

Incredibly, this is bound to catch on, its genius!.................you can pick a lie angle!

and get this, from this genius of a man, you can have................a different lenght, they will even cut or extend the shaft for you!

And this has blown my head off, ...........apparently you can even alter the head wieght for different lengths.

The man is a genius, this will transform the outing industry. I gather some people thought they were already getting putters with different head weights at different lengths and the putter could be lie adjusted, but they are FOOLS.

The man is a true genius, I think I will dump my variable weight cut down Rife with its own custom lie adjuster and get this new invention from SC, his version of lie adjusting, variable headwieght is bound to be better.

In fact, have it on good authority his own cut down shafts are cut down far better than anyone elses. At 33", his 33" is superior in everyway to any other 33" you will ever try, even without the custom headcover.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
The man is a genius. He went from reconditioning old putters in his shed to making new milled putters that cost double the old cast ones. He managed to make it into a multi-billion dollar business without advertising. That's genius in my book & if the performance is no better than the original Anser (with all it's air bubbles) or the high MOI Riffe why is Tiger using a SC?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Tiger would win with a twig, I don't compare myself to the second most genius player ever behind Hogan. SC is making millions from clever marketing, and of course Tiger helps. But come on, its a great way to make more money, produce one putter with loft, lie , length and wieght options, but then, wait.............bring out another and say this one is special, its er, got loft, lie, length and wieight options?!

Uh? Oh, hold on, its from a 'select studio'. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, must be better then. This studio, is it in China or Kentucky?

He is a genius, and yes he has made millions, I hold my hat off to him and the gullible players world wide falling for yet another fancy headcover style trick.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
If I had these options I might have considered it before I bought the Slighter.... since this was the main reason I went custom. I am glad I supported Tom though.

OP
hypergolf

hypergolf

Mar 6, 2007
I think some people are missing my point. I am not saying SC putters are bad. They are good. But I am saying that he is eating his own words.

Let me give the exact details since some of you don't really don't understand my situation as to why I am calling him a hypocrite.

I bought my SC Studio Style when it was released. 33" with 350g.

Then I wanted to send in my putter to SC workshop and asked if they could reshaft my 350g head with 34" shaft. They replied saying "NO" and asked me to refer to the website that said 350g is only ideal for 33".

Then now he came up with SC Studio Design. Factory setting for 33" = 360g, 34" = 350g, 35" = 340g. If this is the case why did they reject to reshaft my 350g on a 34" shaft? Plus now you can buy extra weights to make a 34" into whatever weight we want to so isn't this going against his words in my particular case?

That is all I am trying to point out.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
They would not reshaft your putter with a 34"shaft? If that is the case I would have informed them I would not be using a SC in the future. If I bought the putter, I think I have the right to have any length shaft on it that I want, no?

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
I think some people are missing my point. I am not saying SC putters are bad. They are good. But I am saying that he is eating his own words.

Let me give the exact details since some of you don't really don't understand my situation as to why I am calling him a hypocrite.

Then I wanted to send in my putter to SC workshop and asked if they could reshaft my 350g head with 34" shaft. They replied saying "NO" and asked me to refer to the website that said 350g is only ideal for 33".

Then now he came up with SC Studio Design. Factory setting for 33" = 360g, 34" = 350g, 35" = 340g. If this is the case why did they reject to reshaft my 350g on a 34" shaft? Plus now you can buy extra weights to make a 34" into whatever weight we want to so isn't this going against his words in my particular case?

These guys got your point. They just don't like SC putters. They think they are over priced pieces of metal that copied Anser's style.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006

Maybe you should email him asking for a percentage as you gave him the idea!!!

I'm pretty sure that he has made Tour putters with 350g heads on 34"& 35" shafts in the past. Maybe the model you have is not designed to be customised length wise and thats the point they were trying to make to you. The fact you've done it and it worked for you is fine but 'the Studio' don't recommend it.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I got your point entirely, and I would pour tar on my nuts before I use a SC putter.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Scotty Cameron, the con-man, referred me to his writing on his website when i wanted a 350g Studio Style head on a 34" putter shaft.

"Through our Studio findings we have determined the optimal relationship between shaft length, head weight and shaft flex.

So, if you shorten your putter you will lose head weight and shaft flex. Conversely, if you lengthen your putter you will increase head swing weight and shaft flex. This will affect performance in many different areas, aim, path, ball performance and even sound and feel of the putter.

Length of the putter dictates what head weight should be used. We know that length determines lie, lie determines path, which determines eye position, which determines aim. Length and weight also effects shaft flex, sound, tempo and timing.

If a putter is too heavy it affects transition, tempo and timing. If a putter is too light, it also affects transition, tempo and timing.

Simply put, we build putters that perform."

Now he comes up with Studio Select?? What a hypocrite! I always knew he was so overrated and used his name to sell putters but this one is disappointing. By the way, I put a shaft extension onto my 350g Studio Style (less than $5) and it is working better than ever.

In this thread:
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/15773-my-screwy-putter.html
I thought extending my putter shaft would not have much effect on the performance but here is what I found out.

I extended 1 inch on my Scotty Cameron Newport 2 about 2 weeks ago and have been playing for a while to get used to it.

I used to average about 32-33 putts per game and now I am going over 40...

I can't seem to get the distance right and tend to over putt by a lot.

It has been 2 weeks already and I am still putting like this ever since the shaft extension.

Is this normal and if so how long before I get adjusted to the new length and swing weight?

Has anyone experienced this or am I being sensitive... Thanks...

you complain about changing your putter up & it screwed you up, now you complain because they said not to. Give the Scotty Bashing a rest...

OP
hypergolf

hypergolf

Mar 6, 2007
In this thread:
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/15773-my-screwy-putter.html

you complain about changing your putter up & it screwed you up, now you complain because they said not to. Give the Scotty Bashing a rest...

It screwed me up for about a month. Then putting got better ever since and I am still using the same putter. Also back then I wasn't a consistant player so I was just asking the forum gang if it's normal for the putting to go whacko until you have adjusted to the new putter. I was merely asking how long it takes to adjust to the new length/weight combination.

Game improves as time passes by dude. My putting strokes were not exactly stable then since I was making lots of modifications and adjustments through lessons. Also I have managed to bring my handicap down to 9 since then with the exact same putter that I have modified.

I am not bashing Scotty. I like his Studio Style. All I am trying to say is as per what I wrote before. Besides, you guys publicly bash on even your president on TV so what is wrong with bashing a putter maker? I am just trying to point out what exactly happened.

Maybe because english is my second language so I didn't use the word hypocrite properly... What do you call a person who says something but goes against his exact words?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.