• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Confessional

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
OK, I have never been a pretender, you all Know I suck at golf....with a 28 handicap how good can you be? I have huge potential though, every round I have at least 3 extraordinary shots that keep me coming back for more punishment.....I played my first round today, with the snakes.

I shot 107, yup, that's right......a hundred and fecking seven!

But it's ok,,,,I had fun anyway......now for some of the qualifiers.

Yesterday we had 4 inches of rain....all at once, it seemed like...the course was soaked, like golfing on a sponge. Any shot that was even slightly fat got hung up in the mud and went nowhere......the greens?

Airated.....half the holes werent filled with sand so the putting was interesting to say the least.....hippy, hop, hippy, hop.....if you get my drift.

There was wind today also.....20 knots steady gusting to 35 or so, most of it was in my face. I had a great shot on 10. 311 yard par 4. I carried the ball all the way to the front of the green and it rolled off fast...all the way off, stopped on a patch of mud, in the woods 20 yards farther on...a 330 yard drive....I managed to make par after a low and speedy chip out and 2 putt.

Drives were pretty long for the most part but the short game was abysmal.

The snakes are great! Forgiving and sweet feeling.....all muddy now too. :)

While the conditions were horrific I was happy to be able to get out for the first time since December and all things considered, It wasn't that bad.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Sweet.

Weather and course conditions probably played a part in that, but it sound like you need some range time to dial in those wedges and putter.

Last year I dedicated nearly 75% of my practice time to short game and putting. Man oh man, what a difference. I hit maybe 15 drives a week at the range. I'm about 80% happy with my 3-6 iron play, but really your scoring comes with the shorts sticks.

You just made a mental picture for me of what to expect in the coming weeks. Aerated greens make me snap, although I know it's required. They do it 3 times a year here because the grass grows so well in the summer (when we get decent rain).

I personally like playing golf when it's hotter than hell. Especially if it's rained the night or day before. Hot weather and sticky greens are my dream scenario.

Glad to hear the clubs pulled their weight. Too bad they guy on the end of them couldn't get his shit together! :p (It's early Sling, get to the range and get those bad boys dialed....)

R35

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
The putter wasn't bad....3 putted only twice...wedges on the otherhand.....blah!
I'm going to invent a driving range where it's possible to use your own balls (and somehow get them back) If I get range balls dialed in but in actual play the balls are 30% longer, then what?

I wish I had a bigger yard. :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
When I was in Arizona, we hit balls at a range there....all brand new Titleists. I felt like stealing some, but i knew that everyone was watching the white Canadian kid.... :p

I know what you mean. The worst feeling is hitting balls and then getting a nice shiny one, followed by a mushy old one. 7 irons are supposed to go 160 first and then 85 yards the next, right?

R35

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
today at the range in my bucket i found one that wasn't pressed right, so half of it had dimples and the other half was smooth, but still had the logo and red stripes

🔥 Latest posts