• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Congrats Paddy!

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Tough choice this year!

ESPN - Padriag Harrington voted PGA player of the year

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Padraig Harrington was voted PGA Tour player of the year by his peers Tuesday, becoming the first European player to win the award since it began in 1990.
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3771900&name=golf

Harrington only won twice this year, but they were majors -- the British Open and the PGA Championship -- making him the first European to win successive majors in the same season, and joining Tiger Woods as the only player to do that in the last 20 years. Woods won four times before season-ending knee surgery in June, including the U.S. Open for the his 14th major, and he was second on the money list despite playing only six times. Woods was among the candidates, along with Vijay Singh, Kenny Perry and Camilo Villegas. Unlike other sports organizations, the PGA Tour does not disclose the vote totals. In other tour awards, Bernhard Langer was voted player of the year on the Champions Tour, while Brendan de Jonge won the award on the Nationwide Tour. Andres Romero was voted PGA Tour rookie of the year, while Dudley Hart was voted comeback player of the year.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I believe that it was the correct choice. Tiger had a great year considering, but two majors takes it IMO.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
As other have said, Harrington was THE correct choice!! I've never followed many of the European players, even when they've played on the PGA. It is impossible, however, for me not to root for a person with this intensity. I still cannot get over the eyes of Harrington during the Sunday rounds. Looks as if he could melt the ball with his eyes.

I haven't been too excited about Paddy's Wilson endorsement. Wilson just hasn't been one of my favority OEM's. Yet, in an industry... a world... where money seems to be the sole motivator... Paddy resigned with Wilson. Sorta dancin' with the one who brung you!!!!

Congrats, Harrington!!!!

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Personally I think it was terrible.

See the giant asterisk below!!!!!!

Playing in only 6 events Tiger finished the year 6 places ahead of Harrington on the money list who played in 15 events. Sorry but this choice stinks. It should have gone to Tiger.

ai223.photobucket.com_albums_dd155_isaacand_asterisk2.jpg

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
So is that the new standard for player of the year?........who is the nicest guy?????? I didn't know it was a popularity contest.

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Jul 13, 2007
:biglol:

So is that the new standard for player of the year?........who is the nicest guy?????? I didn't know it was a popularity contest.

Apparently his peers thought that he deserved to be player of the year.
Notice, I said player, not the nicest guy of the year.
However, since he seems to be a nice guy as well ( I don't know him personaly, so I could be wrong) I took it upon myself, to post a commonly used phrase such as , "it couldn't happen to a nicer guy".

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
But he is not even close to the best player of the past year.

4th in scoring average.
8th on the PGA money list
5th in World Money list
4th in FedX points
50th in FedX playoffs
52ns in PGA Championchip points

In every one of these statistics except one both Vijay and Sergio placed ahead or well ahead of Harrington. Phil also placed ahead of Harrington in the majority of these stats. That is why I ask is this nothing more than a popularity contest? Was it a pick anybody BUT Tiger contest because of JELOUSY? Harrington is just another top 10 or top 20 sort of player.......just a pretender to the crown that Tiger holds......and not in the leage of Vijay, Sergio and Phil. PS. Vijay, Sergio and Phil are all nice guys too.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Maybe it's because Paddy won 2 of the biggest tournaments in the world? He showed that when the highest level of pressure is on, he can handle it? Perhaps those two wins earned him enough respect from his peers (you know, the guys who really know what it's like, not guys like us who sit on the sidelines and guess) that the majority of them decided he deserved it over everyone else regardless of the stats.
I'm fairly certain that if I were a PGA pro, this would be the reason I voted for Paddy.
And by the way, when you win 2 majors in one year, you are no longer
just another top 10 or top 20 sort of player
to anyone who really understands golf...only to guys who live and breathe Tiger Woods.

And no, I don't hate Tiger. But I do get tired of the same old arguements used to say he deserves every possible title just because he's alive.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Tiger even said he voted for Paddy :thumbs up:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.