• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Congrats to Europe

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
The difference is the Euro's wait till everyone has finished putting before tromping all over the green ;)

Its my understanding that no one stepped between Ollie's ball and the cup. In a perfect world, I personally wish it never would have happened. But, it is what it is, people have apologized. I just think that the US side is always under pressure not to over do it. Couldn't you just hear Lehman reminding them all week? He took a lot of grief for Brookline.

That was the very worst of behaviour. I'll never forget it.

Wow, we should all be so fortunate to live in a world where a premature celebration of a 45 footer is the very worst of behaviour.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I have no idea what the combined team totals were on the final day's singles, but both teams were deep in the red. Some phenomenal shot making under immense pressure! More than a few clutch putts holed. And to go right to the wire made it a spectacle and a truly memorable event. Congratulations to golf! It was the clear winner.
Luckily the weather played ball on the last day and allowed a high standard of golf to be played. Tiger was -9 for 15 holes! Stricker was awesome, Johnson was clinical with his putter, Michelson played some unbelievable golf and what a comeback by Fowler. In the heat of the caldron, he whistled off 4 straight birds to snatch a half from dormie four. The giants for Europe were Poulter, Donald, Jiminez and GMac. Some of the Euros were disappointing including Fisher and Harrington, but they all contributed to the final scoreline which was great.

It seems to mean a lot more for The Europeans to win this event. Just look at Poulter, who personified the passion (albeit at times a little OTT). I watched the highlights yesterday and it was great to see both teams out there cheering up the last few matches. I saw Woods smile, laugh and act like a team player, which looked good. I thought Pavin was a fantastic captain, and indeed I thought Monty’s speech was noble.

I have grown up playing team golf and I love it. The Walker Cup, the Ryder Cup, the President’s Cup are all fantastic events. I cannot understand anyone not “getting it”. Fisher and Wi-Golfer are idiots for dismissing it. The "could care less" attitude defines them very well.

We had some of the world’s golfing elite playing fantastic showcase golf not for money but for pride and passion. I defy anyone who actually watched it not to have been on the edge of their seats right to the last shot, cheering and shouting at the TV.

I look forward to hearing the players thoughts, especially the US team following yesterday, to see what they really thought. I’ll bet they loved it to a man.
I heard that the post event party was a hoot with Tiger and Hefty taking on all comers at table tennis. I think the spirit of the game lifted it above the weather and all set-backs. Samuel Ryder must be looking on with immense pride somewhere. And I am already looking forward to Medinah in 2012.

WelshGolfer

aka Grand-Master-Duff
Jun 7, 2005
Its my understanding that no one stepped between Ollie's ball and the cup. In a perfect world, I personally wish it never would have happened. But, it is what it is, people have apologized. I just think that the US side is always under pressure not to over do it. Couldn't you just hear Lehman reminding them all week? He took a lot of grief for Brookline.
I believe it was a cameraman who stepped on Ollies line while filming the celebrations. OK, while that particular "hoopla" may have been over the top I can understand how much it meant at the time. That US team played some inspired stuff to get it to that point.
Leonard was draining it from everywhere like Cink, Fowler et al did at times in this one.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

Wow, we should all be so fortunate to live in a world where a premature celebration of a 45 footer is the very worst of behaviour.

It was, what it was Clug. A disgraceful occurrence. Apologies were rendered. Apologies were accepted. But it lives as an example of what should not happen when the opponent is still to putt.

aimg.skysports.com_08_08_496x259_brookline_1152269.jpg
[video=youtube;CxTbNTyWIvc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxTbNTyWIvc[/video] The moment occurs at 4.24 on the counter.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I still don't understand why its "disgraceful." Everybody talks about how the Americans don't seem interested in the Ryder Cup, maybe this is why. We have an exciting emotional moment and its labeled disgraceful. I wonder how it would be treated if it was the Euro's that rushed out onto the green.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I still don't understand why its "disgraceful." Everybody talks about how the Americans don't seem interested in the Ryder Cup, maybe this is why. We have an exciting emotional moment and its labeled disgraceful. I wonder how it would be treated if it was the Euro's that rushed out onto the green.

Next time let's make sure that we stride onto the green and pummel the European players with 9-irons. Then when we get cat-calls of "disgrace!" at least we will have earned it :D

I actually don't know anything about the event in question. Sounds like sour grapes from Europe. However, if it was really something inexcusable, then "emotion" is no excuse. These are grown professional men and "emotion boiling over" is no excuse to act in a reprehensible way.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
[/B]

LOL, Interesting point!! Every time the Euros win the celebrate like mad-but that's ok because they played like a team and are showing emotion. When the US celebrates its disrespectful! Everybody hates us until they need us!

LOL, I think it's more the way you celebrated at Brookline, great comeback, I mean superb golf. Think it's more the fact your team and wives and camera men were running and jumping all over the green when Olazabal still had a putt to half. Win then celebrate by all means and celebrate as large as you want. Ten minute's Olle had to wait before he could have a go at his putt which was very disrespectful and not golf for me. If My team had done that and I was captain I would have conceded the putt after realising we'd got carried away before the match was over (even if it meant loosing the match). If somebody had done that to me and not conceded the putt I would have picked my ball up and walked off with out shaking hands.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Yeah, like I said, I wish it would not have gone down. I think the bigger crime was those shirts. Good Lord. Who the heck dresses the American team, anyways? Every Ryder Cup is a fashion epic fail. Just give the contract to Loudmouth next time. I'm not kidding, I find their clothes much more tasteful.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Yeah, like I said, I wish it would not have gone down. I think the bigger crime was those shirts. Good Lord. Who the heck dresses the American team, anyways? Every Ryder Cup is a fashion epic fail. Just give the contract to Loudmouth next time. I'm not kidding, I find their clothes much more tasteful.

Haha, they were horrendous tops that somebody designed for them.... Probably the same people who made the non water proof, water proofs they had in Wales this time around... trust me one thing you need Golfing in Wales in October is a good set of water Proof's!

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006

OK Jim, my old buddy, it's like this.

You can show passion, excitement and emotion as much as you like but when it compromises the respect for your opponent then it crosses a clear line that all golfers know about. That's why it is considered disgraceful and on of the most disappointing moments in golfing history. Even more so as it not only compromised that respect but also the achievment of the US team that day. A performance that subsequently cannot be remembered without that moment of over-indulgence.

To be fair I think the hype and bitterness in the RC reached fever pitch in the 90s on both sides and it took perhaps the saddest day in recent history to bring players and fans back down to earth and remember the true spirit in which this event should be played.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
the same people who made the non water proof, water proofs they had in Wales this time around... trust me one thing you need Golfing in Wales in October is a good set of water Proof's!

I don't know if you have Sun Mountain overseas, but they price that stuff as top shelf here. I can't imagine they will be selling much rain gear in the near future. Someone will get sh!t canned for that one.

🔥 Latest posts