• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Considering a 4W...??

Bobtee

Oct 29, 2009
Hey all,

Who here is carrying a 4w, or has at one time or another??

As my signature shows, I currently carry 3 & 5 woods, but like any club ho I'm always looking for some excuse to change. I find that although I like both my 3 and 5, there use is somewhat limited. My 3w only comes out on tight par 4's or on holes where I need to stay in play. My 5w rarely comes out in the fairway, unless I have a fluffy lie and can get the club on the ball. I've tried from the rough only a couple times and just gave up with it... Hence, is it time to change??

My thoughts are this; a 4w would be ideal off a tee when needed and should be half decent from the fairway (considering the lie of course.) this would also free up room for a possible 3 iron hybrid which loft wise takes the place of a 5w. Probably just random ideas, but it made sense to me...??

It's great being a club Ho!!!! LOL!! I really enjoy hitting fairway woods so it's nice having an assortment to switch from when you feel like a change of club. Go for it!!!!!

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I'm not sure what a 4 wood is. I've had 3 woods at 13.5, 14.5, 15, 15.5, 16. - 4 Woods at 15, 16, & 17 - One of my favorite clubs ever was a 17* Ping TISI 5 wood.

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
I'm not sure what a 4 wood is. I've had 3 woods at 13.5, 14.5, 15, 15.5, 16. - 4 Woods at 15, 16, & 17 - One of my favorite clubs ever was a 17* Ping TISI 5 wood.

Its a good point. Many, many moons ago (i.e. persimmon), the standards were 16* for a 3W, 19* for a 3W and 22* for a 5W. Today, you'd be hard pressed to find a 5W that was more than 18*, and a 3W that is more than 15*. There are a lot of 3W that are 14.5*, 14* and even 13.5*. And a lot of "strong 3W" that are 13* or 12* (as an aside, I still don't understand why the nomenclature is "strong 3W" instead of 2W).

In short, from wedge to woods, none of the traditional names really mean much anymore. To even attempt to compare two clubs, you need to know the lofts.

glibwort

Nov 4, 2010
Hey all,

Who here is carrying a 4w, or has at one time or another??

As my signature shows, I currently carry 3 & 5 woods, but like any club ho I'm always looking for some excuse to change. I find that although I like both my 3 and 5, there use is somewhat limited. My 3w only comes out on tight par 4's or on holes where I need to stay in play. My 5w rarely comes out in the fairway, unless I have a fluffy lie and can get the club on the ball. I've tried from the rough only a couple times and just gave up with it... Hence, is it time to change??

My thoughts are this; a 4w would be ideal off a tee when needed and should be half decent from the fairway (considering the lie of course.) this would also free up room for a possible 3 iron hybrid which loft wise takes the place of a 5w. Probably just random ideas, but it made sense to me...??

I'm a lefty and am thinking along the same lines. I have done a fair bit of forum hopping to find the answer to this question.

The up and coming fruits of my labour will be in the shape of a G15 4 wood. From what I can gather, this is a club which plays as long as most three woods and longer, or choke down a bit for shorter shots, and is very forgiving off the deck (hence the distance). Like you said, this opens up your options for an extra club, a hybrid being a popular addition.

Believe me when I say that I have done a lot of research on this. Personally I can't wait!!

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Glibwort, first, welcome to Shottalk - second, sorry to hear you're a left :)
Lastly, let us know how you make out with the G15 4 wood - I have a Wishon 949 that will be in my bag for a long time - hopefully you have the same luck with the G15.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.