• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Considering driver swap

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I went out for my first round on my local course today. I'm happy with the swing after the winter layover. I was +2 for 9 holes with 41* temp and a breezy 15-20 mph winds. Putting was just average but that should come around.

Anyway before the round I met a gentleman on the tee who had a Ping G5.He said he was unhappy with it as he was hitting it too low. 9* driver with a NV65 shaft. He must have been 75 + years old and a friend had just him the club while on a Florida trip. Almost brand new. I'm thinking that green lizard plus the 9* just did not fit his swing speed.

So I had my 10* G2 in the bag. It has a BB solutions burgundy shaft. Offered to let him try it for a day and see if it works for him. He countered with a week.

I have been hitting the G2 too high.

I took the G5 for a spin around the course. It's lower, long and accurate. Slight draw. I'm forced to take different angles on the doglegs as I was driving through the fairways.

I HOPE THE G2 WORKS FOR THE G5 OWNER. I am very happy with the G5.

My G2 was purchased 3 years ago used. Had a plethora of sky markers from previous owner. I paid $90 shipped. What say you on a fair trade price? I am considering $40 and I put a new grip on the G2.

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
sounds like a far deal to me. that's probaly the shaft that was in the G5 from the factory.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Agreed on factory install. Looked almost new with a few marks on the sole. The guy did not swing hard enough to chip paint.

If I keep trading perhaps I can acquire a G10. And a FT-i.
Be just like WBL.:faintthud

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I've enjoyed my G5, zaphod. I did change the shaft to a CompNT 65R from the TFC stock shaft, but that was after a year or more and I just wanted a change.

That's a good driver.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Since his old club obviously didn't fit him, I think you did him a favor - I'm not sure how much cash you should have to kick in. If anything, build him a new driver to replace his g5 - if he likes the BB Solution, great, but perhaps match it up with a high lofted head like this
http://www.myostrichgolf.com/clubmakers/product_info.php?cPath=135_25_98&products_id=576
and, if he's really not swinging hard enough to chip the paint, he's got to add distance.
When he thanks you for that, offer some advice on his fairway woods - most likely, he should dump the 3 and 5 woods in favor of 4 and 7 woods

you might improve his distance and consistency all for the price of a measly used g5 :)

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Since his old club obviously didn't fit him, I think you did him a favor - I'm not sure how much cash you should have to kick in. If anything, build him a new driver to replace his g5 - if he likes the BB Solution, great, but perhaps match it up with a high lofted head like this
http://www.myostrichgolf.com/clubmakers/product_info.php?cPath=135_25_98&products_id=576
and, if he's really not swinging hard enough to chip the paint, he's got to add distance.
When he thanks you for that, offer some advice on his fairway woods - most likely, he should dump the 3 and 5 woods in favor of 4 and 7 woods

you might improve his distance and consistency all for the price of a measly used g5 :)

good line of thought. I will feel him out. It's been chiily and rainy here so it may be more than a week before I hear from him. Do not have his name but I've got his club. He has my card so I await.

🔥 Latest posts