• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Constant tweaking backfired again

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Well, up until a little over a week ago I was shooting consistent low 80's. But......, the guys I've been walking with are shooting mid to high 70's. Was I content to win a hole every so often? Of course not, so naturally, I tried tweaking my swing a little, swapped out a couple of clubs, and waaalaaa ! Now I'm shooting high 80's low 90's.

Today I tried to find my old swing again, but it MIA now. I'm such a figgin rocket scientist, :bang:

Why couldn't I just leave well enough alone? :faintthud

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Leave well enough alone, huh...?

How about changing your spark plugs early, and having your buddy accidentally drop a small spacer into the cylinder UNDERNEATH the spark plug. Then starting the car.

If it ain't broke, man... If it ain't broke...

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Thats why I love this game, always striving to improve.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I'm with ya man.. I had things rolling back in June... decided to make a small adjustment... now I'm all F'd up.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I think it happens to everyone at least once in the middle of the summer. Thats what golf is all about I guess....

I went through a terrible slump a few weeks back. I'm still tryin to pull out of it. It feels like my game is back, but scores just arn't following due to some crappy putting.

You will def. Get your swing going again, just might take some time.

Funny though how I putted and chipped awsome when my tee game and iron play sucked ass... Now my Tee game and is back to normal, irons are better then ever but I midaswell be putting with my driver.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Leave well enough alone, huh...?

How about changing your spark plugs early, and having your buddy accidentally drop a small spacer into the cylinder UNDERNEATH the spark plug. Then starting the car.

If it ain't broke, man... If it ain't broke...
lmfao...thats rough...

Reminds me of a guy i know that decided he was going to change the oil in his dads Fully restored '70 Chevelle SS with the LS6 because his dad was diagnosed with a terminal illness and was bed-ridden so he wanted to take his father for one last ride

...he warmed up the car, drained the oil, replaced the filter, poured in the new oil, started the car up again and ran inside to grab some paper towels to check the oil level...got talking to his dad about the ride, came out, the car was seized up. All the oil was in the gravel underneath the car...

Poor guy, i didn't think he would ever get over that.

+1 to the if it aint broke don't fix it dubya...

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
Well, up until a little over a week ago I was shooting consistent low 80's. But......, the guys I've been walking with are shooting mid to high 70's. Was I content to win a hole every so often? Of course not, so naturally, I tried tweaking my swing a little, swapped out a couple of clubs, and waaalaaa ! Now I'm shooting high 80's low 90's.

Today I tried to find my old swing again, but it MIA now. I'm such a figgin rocket scientist, :bang:

Why couldn't I just leave well enough alone? :faintthud
I have done the exact same thing. I was playing my best golf and hitting my driver great. 2 days in a row I hit every fairway............what did I do ? Change shafts of course:killersmiley: I can barely find 3 fairways a round since. I think we all experiment too much, but I have really learned my lesson this time. Good luck getting it back man.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I've gone back to my old bag set-up. If I play this afternoon I'm going to also go back to teeing off with the 2 hybrid the 1st few holes like I was doing.

We'll see how that goes?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Tweaking is good. Striving for betterment is great. You just have to know when you tweaked the wrong way...and then how to get back to where you were so you can try something else.

If we never changed anything about our swings none of us would be any better than when we started.

Don't be afraid to tweak or try new stuff.

Hows that for contradiction?

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Tweaking is good. Striving for betterment is great. You just have to know when you tweaked the wrong way...and then how to get back to where you were so you can try something else.

If we never changed anything about our swings none of us would be any better than when we started.

Don't be afraid to tweak or try new stuff.

Hows that for contradiction?

Lol, that cleared it right up Clark

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
It's golf.. Sometimes it feels easy, and others it's not. I can finally putt, and putting well.

But I'm not getting the fairways nearly as good as I was a few weeks ago, and because of it, my GIR has suffered. (And.. uh... I bought another driver, because it's the drivers fault.)

Good thing Dave Peltz short game book is on my night stand, because it has seriously helped me getting up and down.

Now.. if someone will show me how to hit an iron again.. we'd be good.. this week. :)

Just go with the flow, most of it's mental.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i've been hitting not all that great the last couple rounds, and even at the driving range. last night though, while hitting a few buckets i realized what the heck was going on. gripping way too tightly. fixed everything.

too much small muscles kills the big muscles, yet i seem to forget this?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
i've been hitting not all that great the last couple rounds, and even at the driving range. last night though, while hitting a few buckets i realized what the heck was going on. gripping way too tightly. fixed everything.

too much small muscles kills the big muscles, yet i seem to forget this?
Seems i have to remind myself of that at least once a round if not more.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Seems i have to remind myself of that at least once a round if not more.

Yep, same here. Usually as I watch the ball sail off to the right, I'll look at the white knuckle grip I have on the club, grrrrrrr!!!!!!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online