• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Counter Balanced Putter Idea...

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
After what seems like weeks of research I am finally make some headway on this idea. It was the hardest to find specifications on the putter. But now that I have the info in hand, I'm able to move forward, finally!!

If someone has different info they can correct me please! And I can make the needed modifications.
The stock GoLo head with the 10g weights is 385g
The shaft at a length of 37" weighs 150g
The grip I'm looking at is SS 17" belly grip at 85g

I have a clevis pin for butt end weight, but I'm not sure if the 75g is enough?? Any ideas??
Yeah there are calculators on the net for that but I can generally tell you its a head 1:2 grip ratio to change a swingweight.

Im gonna post a pic of my swingweight scale scale that might help.

Last edited:

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
1383264437648.jpg

So its kinda interesting that the D5 swingweight is 7 inches back from the 14 inch fulcrum point. Its sort of a cosmic golf harmonic. I like my putter and wedges heavier and pretty much every thing else about there. TM and Cally makes a lot of their clubs the same, including drivers. My RFE came this SW for example. I dont know how much that block weighs. A lot of heavier putters are E5. My tm ghost daddy long legs is a G. Its overall weight is 630g and its 35". Yours is what 690g?

Last edited:

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Yeah there are calculators on the net for that but I can generally tell you its a head 1:2 grip ratio to change a swingweight.

Im gonna post a pic of my swingweight scale scale that might help.
Call me crazy but with an 85g grip I bet you don't "feel" much difference by adding the 75g weight. I would recommend a lighter grip.

Is this meant to be a belly putter or are you really tall? 37" seems long.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Call me crazy but with an 85g grip I bet you don't "feel" much difference by adding the 75g weight. I would recommend a lighter grip.

Is this meant to be a belly putter or are you really tall? 37" seems long.
Yeah I agree. With your elbows back by your ribs I bet its not in the right place so maybe he has his own stance goin on. This club is gonna weigh 25oz. Once you get past 24 they really take so much force to move you lose something in your accuracy from the sheer force. Maybe a 36" with less counterweight is gonna keep from going over the edge and becoming a boat anchor.

Last edited:

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Yeah I agree. With your elbows back by your ribs I bet its not in the right place so maybe he has his own stance goin on. This club is gonna weigh 25oz. Once you get past 24 they really take so much force to move you lose something in your accuracy from the sheer force. Maybe a 36" with less counterweight is gonna keep from going over the edge and becoming a boat anchor.
Hey we agree on something!

The numbers just aren't making sense to me. A 37" putter alone is going to "feel" heavier. Then add the 85g grip and 75g pin, it's almost going to far. I think you would have distance control issues. I added a 100g counter weight to a standard 34" putter and couldn't control distance or direction.

If you have your heart set in this experiment though, I'd recommend blowing on the grip with an air compressor (If you can) and taping the pin on. That way if you don't like it it's not set in stone.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Hey we agree on something!

The numbers just aren't making sense to me. A 37" putter alone is going to "feel" heavier. Then add the 85g grip and 75g pin, it's almost going to far. I think you would have distance control issues. I added a 100g counter weight to a standard 34" putter and couldn't control distance or direction.

If you have your heart set in this experiment though, I'd recommend blowing on the grip with an air compressor (If you can) and taping the pin on. That way if you don't like it it's not set in stone.

Do you think the length and grip are enough? I'm open to the idea of trying it first without the clevis a grip can always be removed. The putter is 43" right now. So I'm cutting it down to 37.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Do you think the length and grip are enough? I'm open to the idea of trying it first without the clevis a grip can always be removed. The putter is 43" right now. So I'm cutting it down to 37.
Is it meant to be a belly putter?

I'd try it without the pin first, 85g is substantial. If you put to much weight in the grip end you won't be able to feel the head at all. That's a different feeling.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Is it meant to be a belly putter?

I'd try it without the pin first, 85g is substantial. If you put to much weight in the grip end you won't be able to feel the head at all. That's a different feeling.

Attempting to make a counter balanced scotty. I have a 43" GoLo mid that I use as a belly putter. As of 2016 I no longer can, or I feel so. I'm attempting to modify it to avoiding my initial ho'ing tendency of just buying a new club

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Attempting to make a counter balanced scotty. I have a 43" GoLo mid that I use as a belly putter. As of 2016 I no longer can, or I feel so. I'm attempting to modify it to avoiding my initial ho'ing tendency of just buying a new club
I have a buddy who is a real good player, scratch. The worst part if his game is putting. At one point it got so bad that he too a broomstick putter and cut it to standard length.

He took a 48" putter and brought it down to 35". To me it felt like a sledgehammer, really heavy head. The heavier head weight helped him with his stroke.

This is pretty much the opposite of what you are trying. Out of curiosity why did you go with counter balancing?

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I have a buddy who is a real good player, scratch. The worst part if his game is putting. At one point it got so bad that he too a broomstick putter and cut it to standard length.

He took a 48" putter and brought it down to 35". To me it felt like a sledgehammer, really heavy head. The heavier head weight helped him with his stroke.

This is pretty much the opposite of what you are trying. Out of curiosity why did you go with counter balancing?

Really, just curiosity and because the counter balanced putter is the new fad. I understand the idea behind the TM and now most recently PING counter balanced putters is they give the "feel" of an anchored stroke. So putting two and two together, plus I have a number of putters to play around with. So I figured it's worth a try. Worst that happens is I don't like it and try something else!

Members online

No members online now.