• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Country Club Option - Opinions?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
For those of you who are not members on here, I have a thread about my career change but it's in the member's section. Bottom line, 3-4X as much money but 3X as many hours.

I have to figure out what to do with my private CC membership now. I am under a corporate membership but no longer work for that corporation. My bill was set up to go to me. My ex-boss and I already went through this when they had the assessment fee and I wanted out. The CC says I'm under contract for 18 months and if I don't pay, it falls on the corporation. So a) I don't want to do that my old boss and b) he's not exactly the type of guy you want to do something like that to... and I'll leave it at that.

So, my options would be to either try to get out of the membership entirely, which will be very difficult. Other option would be to request to have my status changed from a corporate member to a Class 5 single member. The corporate is weekday's unlimited at $208. The Class 5 is weekdays after 5pm and weekends after 2pm for $200.

My schedule would easily accomodate a couple evenings a week, every Sat. and probably 75% of Sundays as far as "available time" to play.

What do you guys think? Should I try to just get out alltogether or switch to a Class 5? BTW - I should be making approx. weekly what I have been monthly averaged out so really, the money is not that big an issue now.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Making 3x as much by working 3x as much isn't making better money.

I'd try to change your status. You'll still be able to play, and they might actually be willing to do that. They can basically tell you to phukk yourself if you want out, completely. You can still enjoy playing the course and save a little money as class 5.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Making 3x as much by working 3x as much isn't making better money.

I'd try to change your status. You'll still be able to play, and they might actually be willing to do that. They can basically tell you to phukk yourself if you want out, completely. You can still enjoy playing the course and save a little money as class 5.

That's what I'm thinking. I'd rather have out completely but I don't think that's going to happen, at least not very easily.

As far as the job I was making $14/hr. in a dead industry. I was lucky to get $250 a week from that job but we all know I played a $hitload of golf. Now I'm on a $600/wk. salary with 2 bonus's a month that will range from $400-$1200 each depending on how much product I can get out. It's an international export business with doemestic suppliers and international customers. I'm not in sales. I'm the shipping manager.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
But if you were making $200 working 40 hours, and now you're making $600 working 120 hours, you're not actually making better money. MORE money, but not better. That's what I was getting at. Hopefully you phrased it ambiguously and you're making 3X the money without putting in 3X the time.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
But if you were making $200 working 40 hours, and now you're making $600 working 120 hours, you're not actually making better money. MORE money, but not better. That's what I was getting at. Hopefully you phrased it ambiguously and you're making 3X the money without putting in 3X the time.

No, I'm not "really" making more money. I'd be making the same if it were 2003 right now and not 2009 at my old job. I should be around the same as in 2005 when I was regional manager for National Van Lines and broke $40K.... only to make $14,400 2yrs. later. Of course in '05 an 80hr. week was not uncommon.

Then the bottom dropped out of the housing market, I found Shottalk and decided to be a bum and play a lot of golf for a few years.
icon10.gif

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Now I'm on a $600/wk. salary with 2 bonus's a month that will range from $400-$1200 each depending on how much product I can get out.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high about those "bonuses". Lot's of companies pull that shit to suck you in.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I wouldn't get my hopes up too high about those "bonuses". Lot's of companies pull that shit to suck you in.

Yeah, I especially like it when they offer "unlimited bonus potential" which pretty much means their bonus goal are unrealistic and more or less unattainable for the $$ they throw at you.

Seriously though, it sounds like the only option is to try to switch your membership. I don't see why they wouldn't let you since you no longer are part of the corp. If it's impossible to get out than I see no other options.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I went thru a similar deal at our club. We had a group that was part of a corporate deal but you had to have so many people in it to keep it. As people started to drop they converted us over to single memberships or some of the relatives went to family memberships. The corporate deal waived initiation fees but when they converted us they didn't back charge them and the difference a month wasn't really that much. I don't see why they wouldn't convert you......but since it is only like 8 bucks why not just stay on the deal you have?? is that an option??

Jason

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I'd say try and change it and see. For sure shouldn't try and dump it back on your boss if that's what you agreed to when it was setup or whatever. Private CC's and such are pretty strict on not letting you get out of your contract.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
If this is a corporate membership thru your former employer as you said you should be completely off the hook as far as the membership goes. A corporate membership is a corporate membership and employees come and they go. You should not be on the hook for anything other than your food and golf shop charges. On the flip side your membership should end the day your employment ends. Thats how I would see it.

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
How come everything in your life is like a soap opera?? One big drama after another....

Anyway, go talk to the folks at the CC that run the membership programs. Tell them your situation and see what they will do for you. The best that can happen is that you can get out of it without impacting your former employer. The worst is they will do nothing for you. Not much to lose by talking to them directly as far as I can see.

S-

🔥 Latest posts