• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Country Club'in it tommorow.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Tommorow should be fun, I think. I played with a guest in our Wed. tourney this week and it looks like he might turn into a business client.

Over a couple of beers, he invited me to join him and some friends and family for a round tommorow at his club. I know it's gonna be nice cause his monthly dues are more than I pay a year. Plus I've seen the courses from the road since I office near by.

I'm looking forward to this but I have a question. He said he wanted me to be his guest, so does that mean he intends to pay or should I be prepared to cover the green fee? I know whenever I've invited someone to play at our club I covered the cost but I don't want to be rude.

The other issue is that it costs around $150.00 to play there and it's gonna be tough to sneek that by the wife. If he becomes a client I can more than make that up I'm just trying to figure out how to handle it.

edit: found a pic of the signature hole on the course we're playing. You can't tell from the pic but after you tee off you drive right over the waterfall to get to the fairway.

Jay McNasty

High Altitude Hacker
Aug 22, 2005
What's the course? Hard to read in the image.

I would be prepared to pay the fee, but hopefully he is gonna spring for you. Good luck on landing the new client.

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Jay McNasty said:
What's the course? Hard to read in the image.

It's the Slickrock course at Horseshoe Bay TX.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Be prepared to pay, just in case. Since you are courting him as a client, save all receipts and deduct them as a business expense. :)

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Be prepared to pay but gracious if you don't. Also bring lot's of balls, that is a tough course. It is a lot of fun and one of the best for scenery in the country, and I see a lot of courses:D

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
obagain said:
Be prepared to pay but gracious if you don't. Also bring lot's of balls, that is a tough course. It is a lot of fun and one of the best for scenery in the country, and I see a lot of courses:D

I'm planning on taking at least a dozen. Their website says there's water on 12 holes. If I had time I go walmart and pick up cheapies.

I'm pretty sure I'll be riding with him so it shouldn't be too ackward for me to offer to pay. He made of point of mentioning that his membership includes one free guest but I want to be sure I'm not taking advantage of his offer. And like DVM said, it's deductible.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I think you are doing the right thing...walk up and greet him before the round..."thanks for the invitation...the place really looks beautiful...how much do I owe you?" He will likely pay for the round, but if he does not, being able to pay on the spot will certainly avoid any hard feelings that could last awhile...

Here is an interesting bit of weirdness...some private clubs do not accept cash and/or credit cards for Guest Fees. Utterly strange but true. Ours has gone back and forth on this policy several times over the years. The pro will always accept any form of payment for equipment (because he sometimes sells his merchandise to non-members and he is running a private company out of the pro shop). But when it comes to "paying the club" for greens fees and carts, they sometimes do not accept credit cards and charge all guest fees to the members.

As we all know, when a merchant accepts payment for anything by credit card, they are paying about 2% to the credit card company. Some clubs do not want to forgo the 2% and tell their members that all guest fees are billed to the host member and if they want to get payments from their friends/guests, it is their own business....so engaging your host in a friendly and informal way - before teeing off is the best way to cover your bases. If he wants you to pay, be ready with cash or a check if the club will not accept a credit card for your greens fees and cart.

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo: I'm planning on having enough cash on me to cover the round and whatever food and drinks we have after. Even though I think it's his intention to treat it would be pretty embarassing to not be prepared.

I have a view of one of the greens from my office and the course looks to be in great shape. I'm really looking forward to this.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
It looks beautiful Dave..and I'll bet he will cover you.

If he offers to pay for the round (or has already handled it before you show up) it can be a very nice gesture to take care of the drinks afterward. In my group of friends here who are members at different clubs, we have an informal rule that the guest pays his own greens fees and carts but the host pays for all of the food/beverages. So while this is the opposite of what I described above, it Does make it a little easier when the host does get that giant club bill at the end of the month.

Wow $150 is really steep. Although I am a member at a pretty nice club and play a lot as a guest at other private clubs - $150 is really a load. I have a friend who is a member at another club here and it costs $125 there and frankly - while I really love the course - I always think about that huge bill. I will play with him maybe twice a year because it is so steep (I don't tell him this though...just keep it to myself)...

Our place is very reasonable. We charge $68 for greens fees and carts combined. If you walk, it is $55 which ain't too bad....

I'll bet he would be flattered if you took your camera...who wouldn't be proud if a guest took photos? Try to remember this and put them up here. Central Texas is very pretty and those who have not been there would get a chance to see a different terrain from the rest of the state...

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Speaking of deductible, I'm wondering if at tax time I should claim my new Hogans as "surgical instruments". Maybe if I was a better golfer......

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
SiberianDVM said:
Speaking of deductible, I'm wondering if at tax time I should claim my new Hogans as "surgical instruments". Maybe if I was a better golfer......

They'd probably go for it since you could show them how they "slice" so well. :biglol:

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I guess a little follow up is in order. The day was great with only minor disappointnments. I didn't get to take any pics and I ended up leaving without adding up the score card. Oh yeah, it was 102 but that's just what Texas in August is all about. :beach3:

My score wouldn't have great anyway because it took me nearly the entire round to get use to the greens. Much, much faster than what I'm use to. I think I had at least six 3 putts. Even with that I'd estimate I finished around 95.

The guy that invited me was a super host and I'll need to find a way to even things up. He refused to let me pay for anything all day and on top of that we'll probably end up doing some business. His son was there as well and he wants me to do some work with him too, (his son may have been the real reason I was there). From what I gathered from our converstation we live in completely different worlds financially and that for him this would be equal to me buying a friend a Big Mac.

The surprising stat of the day is that I finished the round with the same ball I started with, an HX Tour that I had found at my course. Simple pleasures for simple minds. :D

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Ah, living how the other half lives, even if briefly, is always enjoyable.

Enjoy your Big Mac and your ball :D

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
I've been extremely lucky to play hundreds of rounds at a couple of very fine CC's here in my neck of the woods. Better maintenance, quicker pace of play (usually), much better facilities etc. It is great.

But I often wonder why not put that dough you'd pay for the club membership in the bank and play tons of different courses with it.

Members online

No members online now.