• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Course with no hole markings at all.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Played 9 holes today in Oconomowoc after class, Paganica gc is a 6576 yd par 72 with a slope of 116. Anyways it's the 1st time I have ever seen the place much less played it, there was a mens outing on most of the front 9 but the back was wide open. Guy in the clubhouse tells me the 10th tee is down the path next to the pepsi machine & sure enough it's easy enough to locate. No signage of any sort, just a ball washer & the markers on the tee box. Finish the hole & just by looking I can't easily tell which tee box os for the next hole as there is one to my left as well as to my right. I go left, tee off finish the hole & move on to the next. Short hole looks like it's about 170 yds or so but card claims it should be 376 yds. Like I said absolutely not 1 sign except the ones they had nailed to the large trees near the greens stating to keep carts 30' away from them.

I get kinda pissed off since obviously I am not playing the right hole & the map on the scorecard is a damn joke. Jump in the cart & head back to the 10th hole to figure just where the heck I should actually be playing. Find 2 guys on a hole on the front 9...don't know what hole it is either & they point out where the 11th should be...oh I see, makes perfect sense having the 11th tee box right off the back of the 5ths green!!!! Anyway finally get that straightened out & manage to par the 486 yarder.

Could be a really nice course if they would have signs by the tee boxes & in some cases like on other courses, signs directing you to the next tee box. 2 other issues were there also, tons of those damn helicopter seed pods all over the greens. Ever try putting on those? I'm not talking about 10-20 per green, but rather there were more pods than green that could be seen. The other thing was the fairways were weird, really bumpy not the usual smooth rolling type of fairways you have, as a result of this the grass is kept a little longer than on a typical fairway. At least 6 of the holes were like this, it didn't affect my game at all except I felt like throwing up from the cart getting bounced & tossed around so much. I suppose I could have slowed down a bit but where's the fun in that:confused:

Anyhoo, who else has played weird little courses like this?

SolderJockey

Oct 31, 2007
At the Forest Park golf course, a muni in Queens N.Y., after you play the
15th hole, you either have to cross 3 fairways, or walk around the outside
perimeter of the course which borders a highway in order to get to the
last 3 holes. Who the heck thought this up? Risking one's life shouldn't
be a part of the golfing experience.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
There is a course in the SW burbs of Chicago called Big Run. It has probably one of the best layouts in all of Chicagoland. Tons of trees and hills. Problem is they don't put the money into it. It is kept up just adequate. No cart trails except by the tee boxes. No yardage in the fairway except for the 100, 150 175 and 200. Nothing on the sprinkler heads. That annoys me the most. I walking off 15 yards on the other side of the fairway.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
No yardage in the fairway except for the 100, 150 175 and 200.

Lol. You'd hate it here then. That's more markers than the most well marked course in the area. Even the courses that cost big $$ don't have a 175 marker.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
This goofy course had the 150 yd markers & that was it. Just found it very odd that not a single tee box was marked in way shape or form.

I suppose I could have asked the giant frickin hawk that was standing on the 13th fairway...which at 1st I thought was the 11th. it literally stood it's ground & didn't even flinch as i drove by within 3' of it.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I got lost on a course a couple weeks ago. I finished up 13, and went to the adjacent tee. A twosome was walking through the parking lot in my general direction, and looking at me sideways, but I didn't know why. I played '14' and '15', and then couldn't find another tee. I got a clue when I realized 17 was the only one nearby. Turns out that you have to cross the parking lot to find the real 14 and 15, so the guys I saw were trying to figure out why I was cutting in front of them. I would up back behind a group that I had already played-through a few holes earlier ;)

That course is otherwise well-marked, but does have a half-dozen greens that are covered in helicopter seeds. They were unputtable when I played there again the next week, so my threesome just hit one putt per green, and picked up when it missed.

I have never seen a 125 or 175 yard marker. Most courses around here have red/white/blue in the rough at 100/150/200. The rest have just 150 poles in the middle of the fairway, which I hate. I was shocked to play a relatively nice course ( $80 normally ) and find just the 150s, with unmarked sprinklers to boot. One of several reasons I'm not going back there.

🔥 Latest posts