• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Courses to play on vacation

dknisle1

Jan 25, 2014
Hi everyone. Late July my family will be vacationing in Bryson, North Carolina. My bro-in-law are looking for the best courses to play. We will probably play 2. Any suggestions from those in the area??

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
I don't know if we have any posters in the NC area. I've never played anywhere there.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I'm from NC, but I'm no where near Bryson and have never played golf out that way. You'd have to drive over 4 hours to get to any courses I'm familiar with (Pinehurst area). Sorry.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I'm going to NC on vacation this year too. I have no idea where I'm going to play either.
There are some pretty good mountains, and I bet somewhere a cool mountain course.

YEP...east of Bryson City in a town called Whittier find out about Smoky Mountain Golf Courses - Western North Carolina - Bryson City, Sylva, Cherokee NC

I googled "golf near Bryson city" and came up with a bunch of courses. My wife and I like a bed and breakfast in Highlands called The Half Mile Inn. Its a beautiful area, with cool temps to get away from hot Bama weather. The bed and breakfast places through that area are great.

Highlands, NC Lodging ~ North Carolina Highlands Cabins ~ Inn at Half Mile Farm ~ Inn at HMF

This course is on the Half Mile website. Now you have helped me want to go play it.
Sky Valley

The website says its the highest course in GA, and is Bent Grass tee to green. Its on now, my curiousity is up!

One small thing, the area roads are pretty famous for being winding twisty cliff tracing routes. We like taking the Porsche out in the early morning. Motorcycles too are great fun. The roads are like amusement park rides. The blueridge skyway, the dragons tail, all good runs.

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia.
Pay attention to the fatalities map.

Last edited:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
There are some pretty good mountains, and I bet somewhere a cool mountain course.

YEP...east of Bryson City in a town called Whittier find out about Smoky Mountain Golf Courses - Western North Carolina - Bryson City, Sylva, Cherokee NC

I googled "golf near Bryson city" and came up with a bunch of courses. My wife and I like a bed and breakfast in Highlands called The Half Mile Inn. Its a beautiful area, with cool temps to get away from hot Bama weather. The bed and breakfast places through that area are great.

Highlands, NC Lodging ~ North Carolina Highlands Cabins ~ Inn at Half Mile Farm ~ Inn at HMF

This course is on the Half Mile website. Now you have helped me want to go play it.
Sky Valley

The website says its the highest course in GA, and is Bent Grass tee to green. Its on now, my curiousity is up!

One small thing, the area roads are pretty famous for being winding twisty cliff tracing routes. We like taking the Porsche out in the early morning. Motorcycles too are great fun. The roads are like amusement park rides. The blueridge skyway, the dragons tail, all good runs.

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia.
Pay attention to the fatalities map.
The Dragons Tail is a scary ride!!!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I can't believe they allow trucks on that road.

Thanks for the research, Tricky. I love mountain courses. I was hoping that I could find a gem of a course for a decent price. All the tourist traps, like Pinehurst, are expensive as hell. I had planned on rubbing elbows with the locals to find a diamond in the rough.

Maybe MC will be in the area and I can drag him out on the course for 18.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Tail of the Dragon is ok but a bit over rated and gets uber crowded plus the cops like to patrol it. You can find roads just as good or better that aren't so well advertised.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Tail of the Dragon is ok but a bit over rated and gets uber crowded plus the cops like to patrol it. You can find roads just as good or better that aren't so well advertised.
Yeah we get out at dawn and run the convertible with the top down. No people. Then you can get the tee shirt.
A shirt that says "I rode some nameless track" lacks a little something.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.