• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Covering your club when in play?

ClubCoozie

Jan 5, 2014
Encinitas, California
Country
United States United States
When I golf, I typically keep my driver covered except to swing, the remaining clubs I take the cover off at the first hole and put back on after 18... is this right or what clubs do most people cover during the whole game? I imagine the irons and hybrids can be left unprotected while playing... thoughts?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
When I golf, I typically keep my driver covered except to swing, the remaining clubs I take the cover off at the first hole and put back on after 18... is this right or what clubs do most people cover during the whole game? I imagine the irons and hybrids can be left unprotected while playing... thoughts?
I take covers on and off every shot. No covers for irons.

OP
ClubCoozie

ClubCoozie

Jan 5, 2014
Encinitas, California
Country
When I walk the course I'll cover my other woods too.... but when I ride the cart, I'll just cover the Driver. I figure since my hybrids are hitting from the rough sometimes, they can take an occasional knock from a neighbor club in the bag.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I keep my driver and hybrid in the covers, other than that, I don't have covers on anything else.

Pulling off and putting back on covers after every iron shot would drive me nuts.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I cover the painted ones. And the putter. I have had really soft irons I would have liked to cover, or should have, before they got covered in dents from other clubs. Cast irons never give me that problem.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I just have a cover on the driver and fairways. I don't use the covers to keep them pretty just to keep them quiet.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Irons: Having had the Eye 2+ irons in the bag for umpteen years, they are never covered. Ya can't mark 'em with a hammer and chisel. Now that I'm going to try the BStones and Jaws... once this dang snow leaves... they will remain covered to prevent bag chatter.
Putter: I take the cover off the #7 on the first hole and put it back on after 18.
Driver, fairways, and hybrids: I keep them covered, until one decides to be a douche. If the driver decides to upchuck on a couple of holes, she goes "naked" until she is embarrassed enough to correct her errors. Likewise with the fariways and hybrids. Work well... stay cozy and covered. Screw up... Let the world see your ugly face!! Sometimes the driver remains uncovered the entire round. Sometimes she keeps her clothes on and does her job well.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Irons: Having had the Eye 2+ irons in the bag for umpteen years, they are never covered. Ya can't mark 'em with a hammer and chisel. Now that I'm going to try the BStones and Jaws... once this dang snow leaves... they will remain covered to prevent bag chatter.
Putter: I take the cover off the #7 on the first hole and put it back on after 18.
Driver, fairways, and hybrids: I keep them covered, until one decides to be a douche. If the driver decides to upchuck on a couple of holes, she goes "naked" until she is embarrassed enough to correct her errors. Likewise with the fariways and hybrids. Work well... stay cozy and covered. Screw up... Let the world see your ugly face!! Sometimes the driver remains uncovered the entire round. Sometimes she keeps her clothes on and does her job well.
Limp, did you slide by victorias secret during Christmas and get a little something special for your Driver?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I like ugly clubs in my bag. I like the look on guys faces when they look in my bag after I just cleaned their clock.
Are you the type who leaves grass and dirt in your grooves? I have a buddy who does. He has a beautiful set of satin Titleist blades too. The only time he wipes them off is if there is a big clump of mud on them...grooves packed with dirt are ok with him. Drives me crazy.

Last edited:

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Are you the type who leaves grass and dirt in the grooves? I have a buddy who does. He has a beautiful set of satin Titleist blades too. The only time he wipes them off is if there is a big clump of mud on them...grooves packed with dirt are ok with him. Drives me crazy.

I can't stand dirty grooves either. I have a brush on my bag next to my towel to clean out grooves.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I keep my driver and hybrid in the covers, other than that, I don't have covers on anything else.

Pulling off and putting back on covers after every iron shot would drive me nuts.
same here

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.