• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Covering your club when in play?

OP
ClubCoozie

ClubCoozie

Jan 5, 2014
Encinitas, California
Country
United States United States
I like ugly clubs in my bag. I like the look on guys faces when they look in my bag after I just cleaned their clock.
Exactly, it's the player not the equipment... I played highschool golf with an old set of Real Wood clubs that were beat up, I think (or like to think) I was the best player on the team even so. Too many people in this game pay too much attention to the "best club" out there, just my opinion. But to each his own.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
Covers on everything. Wipe off after every shot. Home bath when needed.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
During a round of golf I keep my driver, fairway woods, hybrids and putter covered. It only takes a matter of seconds to remove the cover and replace it after a shot. I agree with eclark, taking covers off irons would drive me nuts. Like TrickyPutt I have had irons that probably should have been covered, but never saw the need to.

I also have a brush that clips to my golf towel for cleaning grooves and dirt from my clubs. I tend to pay closer attention to my wedges when playing, I like keeping those grooves as clean as I can, they are the scoring clubs.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
And push cart and ball retriever.

There's an old retired guy that I've somehow gotten paired with twice that drives a beat to hell, smoking like crazy, quad color, i'm not even sure what it is, but it has 3 different styles of rims on it vehicle. But if you met him on the course and didn't' see him get out of that car, you would swear he was rolling a Mercedes/BMW/Cadillac/etc.

Dude wears some of the nicest golf clothes I've seen on this muni, brand new clubs, brand new push cart, Rolex(looks real to me). Dude has money...and a golf game. Both times I played with him he was 3 under for 9. But watching this guy get out of that car...hilarious.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
There's an old retired guy that I've somehow gotten paired with twice that drives a beat to hell, smoking like crazy, quad color, i'm not even sure what it is, but it has 3 different styles of rims on it vehicle. But if you met him on the course and didn't' see him get out of that car, you would swear he was rolling a Mercedes/BMW/Cadillac/etc.

Dude wears some of the nicest golf clothes I've seen on this muni, brand new clubs, brand new push cart, Rolex(looks real to me). Dude has money...and a golf game. Both times I played with him he was 3 under for 9. But watching this guy get out of that car...hilarious.

I have experienced much the similar experience in my golf career. Except it came from a gentleman in his 80's, who happened to be the designer and builder of the course I was the assistant superintendent of for six years. If you saw Mr Matlock walk from the parking lot, if you called it walking, you'd expect this guy to barely break 100. But you would be so wrong!! Armed with his putter that he paid $8 for, that he would gladly tell you it took him an entire summer to pay for. The man putts lights out, dropping bombs from over thirty feet like it was nothing. Regularly shooting well under his age. He will also tell you about his semi pro career playing with the likes of the late great Canadian Moe Norman, who he beat on several occasions. Mr Matlock is by far one of my favourite playing partners of all time and I don't care that he beats me easily!!

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
During a round of golf I keep my driver, fairway woods, hybrids and putter covered. It only takes a matter of seconds to remove the cover and replace it after a shot. I agree with eclark, taking covers off irons would drive me nuts. Like TrickyPutt I have had irons that probably should have been covered, but never saw the need to.

To each their own, but could you explain to me the big difference?

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada

I suppose there really is no difference. But for me a dent in my driver or fairway woods is more serious than a dent on an iron. But as I said I have had irons that probably should have been covered. My MP 52's are probably in that category. But I just don't cover them

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Lets say it takes 1 second to take it off, and 5 seconds to put it back on. That's six seconds(not counting the times you drop it, or can't find those tiny covers). Lets say I shoot 100, 36 of those are putts, another 10 are driver. That leaves 54 shots with irons.

54 X 6 = 324 seconds / 60 = 5.4 minutes per round

Pretty big difference.

🔥 Latest posts