• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Covering your club when in play?

MarkFed

Jun 17, 2013
New England
Country
United States United States
I also make sure the grooves are clean for each shot and carry a brush on my bag.

Most of the time, I walk using a push cart, so the head covers go on and off for each shot. When I ride, the head cover comes off the driver on 1 and goes back on 18. I take it off and put it on for my 3 wood, utilities, and putter. I do it to protect the painted part of the club from getting dinged as much as possible. I figure the headcovers of those clubs will be the only clubs that will come in contact with the head of my driver.
As for my irons, I wouldn't put covers on them in a million years. First of all, my feeling is, irons are going to get scratched and "dinged"...they're hit off the ground, and 2nd, I'd take so much s**t from the guys at my club :)

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
Lets say it takes 1 second to take it off, and 5 seconds to put it back on. That's six seconds(not counting the times you drop it, or can't find those tiny covers). Lets say I shoot 100, 36 of those are putts, another 10 are driver. That leaves 54 shots with irons.

54 X 6 = 324 seconds / 60 = 5.4 minutes per round

Pretty big difference.

That's bullshit. By the time you're gettin' yardage with your range finder I've already hit, put the cover back on and am swilling my Coors Lite and firin' up a choke. No extra time involved whatsoever. That's a myth/lie/100% pure bullshit.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
i cover my irons - i get very annoyed with clattering of the clubs when i use th cart - should i walk, i don't cover them as my "trolley" has a sleeve for each iron.

driver, fairway wood and hybrid are always covered - except when i want to use them....

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
That's bullshit. By the time you're gettin' yardage with your range finder I've already hit, put the cover back on and am swilling my Coors Lite and firin' up a choke. No extra time involved whatsoever. That's a myth/lie/100% pure bullshit.

Coors light? Gross.

mlgolf

Dec 7, 2012
Country
I cover all my clubs all the time. Can't stand bag chatter and really helps with re-sale. It is a pain in the a** tho

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
I like to try and keep the covers on my woods when I'm playing. Typically, when I walk, the covers go right back on after I've hit. When I ride, often as not I just leave them uncovered. I only tend to worry if I hear the driver clank against the other clubs when I hit some rough terrain. But no iron covers.

goodearth58

Feb 6, 2014
Little River Sc.
Country
I only cover the driver and fairways BUT I do keep the grooves clean on my irons with this handy dandy cart attachment. Works great while waiting for a slow group!
brush2.jpg

🔥 Latest posts