• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Covid Sports Broadcasts...fake fans?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have already witnessed this with EPL football using EA Sports artificial fan noise on their broadcasts, but now watching Cubs - Brewers and seeing something a bit more disturbing. In addition to the fan sounds, they have CGI fans in the stands, but not all the time. During close up shots and pitchers mound cam, there are no fans in the seats. When they go to a wider angle shot when the ball is hit, all of sudden the stands are filled with CGI fans.

Of course, it’s better than the Texas Rangers who are selling “DoppleRangers” for $50 apiece. Your $50 gets you a cardboard cut out of your image that they will place in a seat for a few games.

I kind of prefer the quiet environment that the PGA tour is broadcasting.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
FYI DopleRangers is hilarious

Also...any way a team can make money right now, they're going to give it a shot. I don't blame them at all. I can only imagine trying to run an MLB team without any ticket sales for an entire season.

Try running any business without a major source of income for an entire year...

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
FYI DopleRangers is hilarious

Also...any way a team can make money right now, they're going to give it a shot. I don't blame them at all. I can only imagine trying to run an MLB team without any ticket sales for an entire season.

Try running any business without a major source of income for an entire year...
They are increasing advertising space in the stadiums to help offset the loss of ticket sales in places that were off limits until MLB relaxed the rules for the pandemic.

I am not too worried about MLB owners having to live paycheck to paycheck, they will survive the downturn. Considering a bunch of them sold seat licenses just to have the privilege of buying season tickets in their stadiums, I think charging another $50 to have your image in the seat is a bit overkill. But hey, if folks want to shell out the money to do so, that is their choice. I would consider chipping in to get a David Ortiz in full Red Sox uniform flipping the Yankees the bird cardboard image placed in a Yankee’s Stadium seat behind the plate. Maybe I should start a go fund me account to get that done.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Watched my first NHL game from the bubble today, Stars vs Preds, and must say I like the way they are handling it. No fake crowd sounds and no fake fans. It reminded me more of the sounds of hockey when I used to play back in the day.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I gotta say, I haven’t missed fans in golf one bit. Now the commercials on the other hand, Jesus it’s painful.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I gotta say, I haven’t missed fans in golf one bit. Now the commercials on the other hand, Jesus it’s painful.
I agree, the golf broadcasts are definitely better without the fans. Commercials are a tad bit repetitive, but the Covid has also limited video production facilities so we are getting a lot of stale/repeating commercials. I tend to keep my iPad handy and watch YouTube vids or waste my time on here during commercial breaks. ;)

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Watched my first NHL game from the bubble today, Stars vs Preds, and must say I like the way they are handling it. No fake crowd sounds and no fake fans. It reminded me more of the sounds of hockey when I used to play back in the day.
Coyotes/Preds game last night had fake crowd noise. It suuuuucks.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Coyotes/Preds game last night had fake crowd noise. It suuuuucks.
Must be a network thing, the couple of games I watched did not have it. :mad:

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Watched a few innings of the Brewers game last night(first live baseball I've been able to watch this year).

Was definitely weird with no crowd noise. Got used to it though.

My oldest boy watched with me, he's really starting to get into baseball now that he's made it on to a traveling tournament team(even though they've only played one tournament because of covid).

🔥 Latest posts