• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Critiques on my "project" please :-)

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
Ok before you all tell me about 50 other web sites that do golf stats I already know.... But my buddy Rich at eatgolf.com has got me hooked on programming....

I'm learning some better web skills so I decided to do my own stats suite as my project. I'll integrate it somewhere, probably at The Golf Space whenever it's ready.

Course entry:
View attachment astatic.flickr.com_44_151192081_7c3d8da183.jpg

Enter round data:
View attachment astatic.flickr.com_46_151190566_1b0c7b9bef.jpg

Round report:
View attachment astatic.flickr.com_50_151190569_7a5e11ac47.jpg

Let me know your opinions or what you think I should add/change. :)

(And yes, that is a round I shot last week in the report picture hehe).

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
Wow, that looks great!

The only thing that I might add would be course conditions, such as weather, temperature, wind speed/direction, etc. (Have it as part of the report, rather than just listed in the comments).

Also, maybe an OB column and/or water hazard column, instead of just the 'bunker' column.

I'm not sure if those would be completely meaningful statistics, but it would just give you some more data as to how you play under certain conditions.

So are you using PHP/MySQL for the back end, or are you just storing the data in flat files?

Regardless, you've done an impressive job. :)

OP
mediaguru

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
Hey thanks! Nice to hear positive input. My brain is so fried...

I'm storing everything in mysql. I have one table for courses, one for round so far.

Not bad ideas. The comments may be good for weather conditions but the hazard ob thing is something to consider.

On the course input I'm going to probably add tick boxes for course amenities like driving range yes/no, restaraunt yes/no, practice green yes/no, hot drink cart babes yes/no... etc.

OP
mediaguru

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
You know I just had a thought. Instead of "bunker" how about titling that row "trouble" and having a pop up menu with these selections:

• OB
  • Water
  • Lost ball
  • fairway bunker
  • greenside bunker
etc... any others?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Looks great to me,better than my excel botch up.Is the putts per green calculated on greens that you hit in reg,or includes the greens you missed? I would only want the putts per green to be those hit in reg.Plus I agree,there needs to be a record of weather and conditions.Also,I can't see anywhere for you to record up and down attempts,plus I also record up and downs from under 100 yards

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I personally use Intelligolf for the palm side. What you have is a beautiful format, and I would probably prefer it on a PC over Intelligolfs.

2 things I personally would definately change. One already mentioned, a penalty check box, or more preferably, a number box as I am known to get more than one on occasion per holes.

2nd, you have GIR and Putts, which in my opinion is redundant. You can automatically calculate the GIR Based on the score and the # of putts with a simple formula. I would believe that anyone who counts GIR's would most likely count putts. If you have a 4, and 2 putts it is clearly a GIR

edit 1 - I guess the exception would be if you hit a green then putted off the green, but that "should" be a fairly uncommon occurance I would hope, and one I would be willing to overlook to not have to check a GIR Every time.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
3rd, one other I like from intelligolf is an option to check if you want to track one of the criteria. Without this option it would be impossible to accurately track stats as it would not know if you say tracked Fairways hit, or simply did not hit any. So on long term stats, it would count them as 0 hit if you chose not to track them that round based on your option.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I need to knwo how many putts per gir,thats very important for my stats tracking

OP
mediaguru

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
I personally use Intelligolf for the palm side. What you have is a beautiful format, and I would probably prefer it on a PC over Intelligolfs.

2 things I personally would definately change. One already mentioned, a penalty check box, or more preferably, a number box as I am known to get more than one on occasion per holes.

2nd, you have GIR and Putts, which in my opinion is redundant. You can automatically calculate the GIR Based on the score and the # of putts with a simple formula. I would believe that anyone who counts GIR's would most likely count putts. If you have a 4, and 2 putts it is clearly a GIR

edit 1 - I guess the exception would be if you hit a green then putted off the green, but that "should" be a fairly uncommon occurance I would hope, and one I would be willing to overlook to not have to check a GIR Every time.

I used intelligolf for a while too. But it wasn't mac compatible and I hated having to power up an old pc to use it...

I thought about the automatic ticking of GIR but there are a few scenarios that could happen where you miss a gir and still have 2 putts, like driving a par 4 and putting your first putt off the green etc... Or how about putting off the green and then chipping in for par etc...

Currently it only has putts per green. I'm sure it woule be a PITA but YES a PPGIR would be good.

And I'll work on the "penalty box" and see what I can do. Certainly a popup menu would make more use of the space.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Can't tell whether you store course data in a look-up table. It would be a pain to have to enter the same course data time after time.

OP
mediaguru

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
Eracer said:
Can't tell whether you store course data in a look-up table. It would be a pain to have to enter the same course data time after time.

Course data is stored in a separate table yes. So you only have to enter a course once. I have yet to make a decent search to find the courses but that will be pretty easy.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Just nit-picky, but I'd work on the percentage output. It will either be .79 or 79%. .79% is very misleading. If the db is returning percentage as .XX format, php should allow you to parse everything after the (.) point, save it as a variable, and then display it with a (%) after.

Again, nit-picky I know, but presentation is important. Good job on it!

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
I used intelligolf for a while too. But it wasn't mac compatible and I hated having to power up an old pc to use it...

Careful... you're ruining the stereotype that we Mac users are all simpletons... ;)

Just advice from one Mac user to another... :D

As far as the putts per green, and putts per GIR, couldn't you just have a checkbox that shows whether or not you hit the GIR, and if so, then the putts stat is calculated against GIR, rather than just the amount of putts for that hole... that way you'll have two statistics, one for normal putts, and another for GIR putts, that is simply delineated by whether or not you have the GIR box checked for that hole.

Should be a fairly simple 'if' statement to check the button state before running the calculation, and two separate arrays, one for storing the GIR putts, and the other for standard putts... then run the calculation with the contents of each array and then just display the values for each after the calculation is run.

At least that would be one method of how to do it... I have no idea how you have everything set up, so I took a wild stab in the dark. :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.