• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Custom built clubs

Golfanatic

Feb 22, 2012
I had a few of the Alpha RM-5 hybrids built over the last few weeks.
They are really great hitting clubs but I dont think Im having anyone else build the rest of the set...just going to do it myself from now on.

Looking at the set of woods I built compared to the work and attention to detail of the job on these hybrids is a bit irritating.
Firstly the guy left a lot of crap epoxy around the top of the head and on the shaft. Geez...even I cleaned all that up before it dried.
He used clear and I used the stuff that mixes dark grey from golfsmith, but still...wiping it off isnt that hard to do before it dries.
The 5 was cut too long. Not a huge problem, still hits really well, but so much for paying for professional club building.
And I always line up the "golf pride" so that its at 12oclock at address like every club Ive ever bought has been. Hell he's got one of them at 1oclock and another at a full 2oclock.

The clubs all hit well but being as anal retentive as I am theres no way I want more built like this.
Wondering what I can say to him to get him to sell me more of the heads and have him not get overly curious.
If I tell him he sucks he probably wont sell me the heads at all.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Tell him you built one for fun and really enjoyed it, so you want to do it yourself from now on. If he doesn't want to sell you the heads, tell him to cram them up his ass and buy them online. You're right. I don't do installations, but I'd never let someone do grips for me. I need them exactly right to be happy, and "square" to my eye might not be "square" to yours.

I do only let people I trust do my installations though. A handful of dinks on this message board!

OP
Golfanatic

Golfanatic

Feb 22, 2012
Tell him you built one for fun and really enjoyed it, so you want to do it yourself from now on.
Might give that a shot.
He can get the heads on one of his orders for his shop if I dont piss him off in the process.
There are a couple sites I can buy the heads online but Im betting he'll be able to give a better price per piece if I order the rest of the set.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I had a few of the Alpha RM-5 hybrids built over the last few weeks.
They are really great hitting clubs but I dont think Im having anyone else build the rest of the set...just going to do it myself from now on.

Looking at the set of woods I built compared to the work and attention to detail of the job on these hybrids is a bit irritating.
Firstly the guy left a lot of crap epoxy around the top of the head and on the shaft. Geez...even I cleaned all that up before it dried.
He used clear and I used the stuff that mixes dark grey from golfsmith, but still...wiping it off isnt that hard to do before it dries.
The 5 was cut too long. Not a huge problem, still hits really well, but so much for paying for professional club building.
And I always line up the "golf pride" so that its at 12oclock at address like every club Ive ever bought has been. Hell he's got one of them at 1oclock and another at a full 2oclock.

The clubs all hit well but being as anal retentive as I am theres no way I want more built like this.
Wondering what I can say to him to get him to sell me more of the heads and have him not get overly curious.
If I tell him he sucks he probably wont sell me the heads at all.

This is the reason I learned to build clubs myself. I had a 3 wood reshafted professionally and it looked like crap. Taught myself to do it and never looked back.

Can't hurt to ask him, but if he's not willing to I imagine you could find an online retailer for those heads.

OP
Golfanatic

Golfanatic

Feb 22, 2012
This is the reason I learned to build clubs myself. I had a 3 wood reshafted professionally and it looked like crap. Taught myself to do it and never looked back.

Can't hurt to ask him, but if he's not willing to I imagine you could find an online retailer for those heads.

I originally decided to build my set of woods because of the price...and just the interest in knowing how to do it.
I guess I thought 'professional' = 'better job'...but having a clamp on a workbench apparently does not = professional work.
What makes it more frustrating is the timeframe he took to build them. The first club took almost 10 days and I had to keep checking back with him...and each time it was like we were starting from the beginning...."what shaft do you what, I cant remember...what flex...what grip...which head was that again'......GAHHHHH ! :1898_: for pities sake man BUY AN INKPEN and PAPER ! :-D

Well, anyway, Im with you. From now on I just buy the components and build em myself.
As OCD as I am they'll get done well enough to play a round and look nice while we're doing it .

Works out for me anyway because I hate graphite and the steel shafts are easy as hell to work with.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I had a "professional" ruin an expensive shaft. I've made probably 50 clubs since then. It's a lot more fun to do it yourself! All you really need is a benchtop vise.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.