• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Custom fit clubs

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
Anyone ever heard of this club maker?

Tom Wishon Golf Technology

I am looking into purchasing a custom fit iron set from a place in Vancouver and they sent me a website of the company that makes their golf clubs. I've never been custom fit before, but when I went to try it once, all they did was get me to hit off some black board with a sticker on the sole of the club. Anyway I went looking for something more and found another place.

I'll be paying 600-1000 for an iron set (which is really way more than I wanted to spend, but what can I do, I want a custom fit set), but for that price, I can get something else that is more name brandy. I know it's more important to get it fitted, but still.... Callaway's would look quite nice in my bag.. lol...

Anyway someone please take a look and tell me what they think..

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Tom Wishon is one of the biggest designer of components, he wrote the book on custome fitting.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm a bit confused by your post. Did you go to a Wishon-certified clubfitter and were disappointed? Or did you go to some other place, and are looking at Wishon because you were disappointed in that other place?

I'm about to go to a Wishon-certified clubfitter myself. I've heard nothing but good things from anyone who's ever gone the Wishon way.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
diskoduck, I'm all for supporting the local clubfitter, but that's a high price for a set of irons - can you have him do the fitting and build you a demo iron - then take the specs to the internet to buy the rest of the set?

there are decent prices out there on this stuff - my local fitter wanted $125/e for my wishon 560mc's - but I wound up paying half of that - you just need to do a little more homework

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Wishon makes good stuff. He used to be at Golfsmith and I have many of his designs from his days as the club head designer there. If you can get yourself fitted and get the recommended specs for your clubs, you can build them yourself if your just a little bit handy. Wishon may not sell you components, but there are other reuptable component companies out there with quality components. Pretty simple to build and plenty of help both online and from the component companies themselves if you get stuck.

If I recall correctly, there was a GD interview with Wishon in which he said he had been a drummer with the Steve Miller band.

OP
DisKoDucK

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
Man, I don't know why I can't ever think of that on my own, but that is a good idea. I really don't want to have to spend 600 (but likely more) (Canadian) for a set of irons, but I don't know where to do my homework. Only thing is, the place charges $100 per hour to do the specs, unless you buy clubs from them, then those charges are waived...

I went to some other place in vancouver, but didn't like their "custom fit" so then I found this place that does the tom Winshon clubs. It seems like they have a more thorough fitting session.

As far as the iron prices go, how much should I be paying. Should might not be the best word, as many people pay different prices, but is searching online the best way to do it? Any suggestions on websites I can look at?

Thanks, and I love this forum...

Duck.

OP
DisKoDucK

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
Wishon makes good stuff. He used to be at Golfsmith and I have many of his designs from his days as the club head designer there. If you can get yourself fitted and get the recommended specs for your clubs, you can build them yourself if your just a little bit handy. Wishon may not sell you components, but there are other reuptable component companies out there with quality components. Pretty simple to build and plenty of help both online and from the component companies themselves if you get stuck.

If I recall correctly, there was a GD interview with Wishon in which he said he had been a drummer with the Steve Miller band.

Thanks, but that won't be an option for me.... I may be the most un-handy guy you've ever heard of..

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Wishon wrote the book on club design (The Search For the Perfect Golf Club) and you absolutely can't go wrong with them. He used to fit clubs for Payne Stewart and other top pros and really knows his stuff. :)

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Tom (Wishon) has more golf patents than any other single person aside from Karsten Soldheim.

Talking to him about golf is akin to talking to the Dalai Lama about life.... Tom is all knowing.

The Wishon products are extremely well made and each product has a specific target audeice.end user in mind...they require a competent clubfitter to get the most out of the product.

But as you already found out, they can get expensive...especially irons where so much more goes into making them than just "Cut-n-glue" that so many places/people do...

Aside from extensive fitting, the clubs need to go thru a series of processes prior to you taking posession.

Although that quote you received of $125 a club is definitly on the high side.

Theres a LOT of very good options out there at far less than that.

OP
DisKoDucK

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
Tom (Wishon) has more golf patents than any other single person aside from Karsten Soldheim.

Talking to him about golf is akin to talking to the Dalai Lama about life.... Tom is all knowing.

The Wishon products are extremely well made and each product has a specific target audeice.end user in mind...they require a competent clubfitter to get the most out of the product.

But as you already found out, they can get expensive...especially irons where so much more goes into making them than just "Cut-n-glue" that so many places/people do...

Aside from extensive fitting, the clubs need to go thru a series of processes prior to you taking posession.

Although that quote you received of $125 a club is definitly on the high side.

Theres a LOT of very good options out there at far less than that.

Do you mean a lot of good options like places that don't make Tom Wishon clubs? Or other options that make his clubs but are a lot cheaper. Man this club is buying thing is stressful. =(

OP
DisKoDucK

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
You know what would make things a lot easier. Do I need a launch monitor to get a nice fit? Because it seems like there aren't that many in Vancouver, BC.

If not, then it would simplify things a lot more.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Only thing is, the place charges $100 per hour to do the specs, unless you buy clubs from them, then those charges are waived...

And that's exactly how it should be.

I run into this all the time in my business. People want me to design an editing system, then give them the specs, so they can find some whore company to sell it to them for no profit. I've spent over a decade learning my craft. You don't get that knowledge for free. You want to shop for the lowest price? No problem. You want my expertise (or the clubfitter's) so you can shop? Fine - pay for it.

Sorry for the rant, but this Wal-Mart mentality has got me Cartman lately.

🔥 Latest posts