• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Custom Specs

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
I have a query that I'm sure you guys can clear up.

When I use a web-fit chart for my set up I always get the same results. I am 6ft 1 and wrist to floor on my left side is 37 inches and the result comes up +1/2 inch shaft length and 2up.

Like here for example Golf Club Lie Angle

Now, am I right in thinking that the with a longer shaft the upright issue becomes compromised? What I mean is, does the extra length compensate for the lie angle - longer = more naturally upright.

I ask because today I hit some clubs that were +1/2 in length and the one that sat best for me was actually 2 degrees flat. Now, this isn't quite that simple. The web-fit is based on a lie angle for a 6 iron of 61 degrees but the spec for the iron I hit is 62.5 dgrees. So that puts it at 60.5 which is only half a degree off the standard on the chart above. Ping has me 3 degrees upright on their sight - yikes. I reckon extra length and more upright would make it too upright, this is how my FTXs were done and after initial success I just hooked everything, which fits in with a too upright lie.

So basically the lie is standard per the chart and the extra length looks after the requirement for a more upright lie. Is this right or have I got muddled here somewhere? I drank heavily in my 20s so it's a fair chance my brain fails to cope with alll this - in fact trying to work this out has me reaching for the whisky right now.

It just felt right at +1/2 and 2 flat - before I do anything silly I just wanted someone with a more nimble mind and better knowledge of this kind of thing to help me out - now, back to the old malt comforter.

If you're not confused well done, cos I got last in the 2nd para. :confused:

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
IF I remember correctly (and thats a pretty big IF), its interrelated between wrist to floor and lie angle. I'm the same as you, 6'0'', 1/4 inch longer and 2 degrees up. But for instance I could have had them 3/4 of an inch longer and standard lie angle. Or 1/2 inch longer and 1 degree up. Basically 1/4 of an inch for each degree you go up or down.

I THINK..... :biggrin:

🔥 Latest posts