• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cut Driver Down -- Negative Effects

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
I used to always play a 45" driver with a 88 mph club head speed. I'm just under 5'4", so I decided to switch to a 43" driver. About 6 months ago I cut the 45" driver down all the way to 43", and I didn't add any weight to the shaft or head. At first it felt great, and I was hitting incredible shots with it.

Now, in the recent month(s), I'm not liking the feeling of the club, and the inaccuracy isn't helping. My club head speed has increased to 94 mph, but my drivers aren't any longer, but my accuracy has suffered.

My question, is it possible because I've gotten stronger and now swing the club ~6 MPH faster, the weight of the club isn't right for me, even though it was perfect 6 months ago with a slower swing speed? The shaft was 55 grams to start with (R flex - low kick), and I cut 2 inches off that. How much does this generally change the weight of the shaft/head? Does it make sense that my increased club head speed has made the club too light for me, causing poor feeling and bad shots?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
The lighter the shaft and the faster the swingspeed the less control you will have.

Its as simple as that, either a heavier shaft or a better swing.;)

OP
P

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
The lighter the shaft and the faster the swingspeed the less control you will have.

Its as simple as that, either a heavier shaft or a better swing.;)

My swing has improving, and is continuing to improve :)

Will a heavier shaft mean a lower club head speed? (significantly lower?)

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Not significantly, but a little slower, depending on your tempo, but itll help control a lot.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
your gonna need to add 24 grams of weight to get it back to standard weight. every inch you take off the sw decreases by 6 full points. to regain a sw point 2 grams must be added to the head. the swingweight of your current club is incredibly low right now, which will cause tons of inconsistency. try and get it back around d2-d5 (standard) with 24 grams of weight added to the head.

OP
P

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
This is all good news to me, glad there may be a reason my Driver doesn't feel how it should.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
your gonna need to add 24 grams of weight to get it back to standard weight. every inch you take off the sw decreases by 6 full points. to regain a sw point 2 grams must be added to the head. the swingweight of your current club is incredibly low right now, which will cause tons of inconsistency. try and get it back around d2-d5 (standard) with 24 grams of weight added to the head.

No, you cant simply add 24g to the head and expect the shaft to perform the same. By adding 24g to the head you will drop the flex on the shaft by 24cpm's. One flex is generally 10cpm's, this means you will effectively drop the stiffness in the shaft by 2.5 flexes. Meaning a stiff shaft will become a noodlely L+.
The reason you are finding the club hard to control is that in shortening it you have indeed lowered the swing weight down to the B8-C2 range. This coupled with a light weight shaft mean a low static weight, and low head weight feel make a difficult to control club. By lopping off 2 inches of the butt you have also stiffened the shaft by roughly 1 full flex.

Here is what I would try. Add 10g of weight to the head (lead tape), this will at least get the shaft flexing the same way it did before, it will also increase the swing weight 5 points which will definitely help with the head feel. It will still be light, but should be much better.
If this still isnt working then you are out of luck imo. To go shorter and add more weight you would have needed to remove tip section and not just butt. So you may need to start over with a new shaft.

Mens standard swing weight is D0-D3 in drivers. D5 is above standard.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
the way lyle explains things is so great...i wish i knew half as much as he does

i know!!

he really is a "gear head"....

a serious comment- lyle, when i left in september/october where you this knowledgable? i dont specifically remember so much help and knowledge before, from anybody...

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
i know!!

he really is a "gear head"....

a serious comment- lyle, when i left in september/october where you this knowledgable? i dont specifically remember so much help and knowledge before, from anybody...

edit- the only reason i say this is because i remember a WITB pic of your new Titty 905r(my mind is great like that, i can remember small details) and some either titty or mizuno blades/muscle backs...

i came back, saw your sig, and wonder what happened to them...

thats the reason i ask...

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
No, you cant simply add 24g to the head and expect the shaft to perform the same. By adding 24g to the head you will drop the flex on the shaft by 24cpm's. One flex is generally 10cpm's, this means you will effectively drop the stiffness in the shaft by 2.5 flexes. Meaning a stiff shaft will become a noodlely L+.
The reason you are finding the club hard to control is that in shortening it you have indeed lowered the swing weight down to the B8-C2 range. This coupled with a light weight shaft mean a low static weight, and low head weight feel make a difficult to control club. By lopping off 2 inches of the butt you have also stiffened the shaft by roughly 1 full flex.

Here is what I would try. Add 10g of weight to the head (lead tape), this will at least get the shaft flexing the same way it did before, it will also increase the swing weight 5 points which will definitely help with the head feel. It will still be light, but should be much better.
If this still isnt working then you are out of luck imo. To go shorter and add more weight you would have needed to remove tip section and not just butt. So you may need to start over with a new shaft.

Mens standard swing weight is D0-D3 in drivers. D5 is above standard.

damn, well another thing learned from lyle. what i was going by with that theory above was things you had said before, but i hadnt thought of other problems one could encounter doing this.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Lyle is quite clearly a genius. I've stopped buying golf magazines because I learn more stuff on here, therefore Shottalk saves money:laugh:

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
edit- the only reason i say this is because i remember a WITB pic of your new Titty 905r(my mind is great like that, i can remember small details) and some either titty or mizuno blades/muscle backs...

i came back, saw your sig, and wonder what happened to them...

thats the reason i ask...

I have always tinkered with clubs, for nearly 20 years now. Recently I finally decided to open my own shop and have taken this up as more than just a hobby. I have really gotten into the component and high end assembly aspect of club building. This has me reading about 100 articles a week, and playing around with different configurations, as i like to see first hand just how big or small the effect is.
When I first came here I was quiet, didnt post much and tried not overstep my bounds. Now I dont ever shut up even though I probably should.
I simply try to help when ever I can as I love this stuff with all my heart.

🔥 Latest posts